BBC TV licensing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
if you're viewing live via cable you still need the licence.

It's a bit like asking "how do they prove i was involved in a hit and run when there's no witnesses or cctv footage, and I've had the car crushed?"
I had it in the body shop not crushed.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There's a vocal minority whose collective ego knows no bounds. I have nothing but contempt for those who dodge meeting their obligations yet still avail themselves of the service that they refuse to pay for.

It depends how far you want to go with your line of thinking or theirs. I don't think that's a very modern opinion to have. One of the reasons people get irritated is they realise a huge number of expats abroad have been watching the service for free for years, particularly in Spain.

gavintc

Guru
Personally, I like the BBC and think the licence fee is worth it. But, then again, I have lived in about 7 foreign countries and have something to compare it against. Believe me, the alternatives are MUCH worse.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It depends how far you want to go with your line of thinking or theirs. I don't think that's a very modern opinion to have. One of the reasons people get irritated is they realise a huge number of expats abroad have been watching the service for free for years, particularly in Spain.

Well let them move to Spain and watch it for free. An annual license is a lot cheaper than moving abroad.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... One of the reasons people get irritated is they realise a huge number of expats abroad have been watching the service for free for years, particularly in Spain.

i've heard lots of people over the years complain about the licence fee... but never once heard this argument. It's usually "I don't even watch the Beeb, it's rubbish!"

Maz

Guru
I'm wondering if any of you guys with a bit of nous can confirm how easy it's supposed to be to 'legally' dodge the fee whilst owning a TV.
Hurry! While stocks last!!!
05-tv-hat-550x379.jpg

The TV Hat
The king of useless gadgets. Got something to watch on your tiny, handheld media phone device thing? Put the TV Hat on to your head, then place your device in the pouch at the end of it.Ta-da. Your own private, miniature theatre. Being eavesdrop-proof and sneak-peek-proof, it gives you real privacy wherever you go.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
i've heard lots of people over the years complain about the licence fee... but never once heard this argument. It's usually "I don't even watch the Beeb, it's rubbish!"

It's an argument seen sometimes on tech leaning forums.

A lot of people who complain are light users and don't think they get value for money or don't realise there are certain things they can do without a licence. There has always been a lot of confusion in the minds of the public who needs a licence. It is not a unique BBC thing, BSkyB operate a very similar model.

There is another group who don't really like BBC services at all but are heavily into flagship pay tv channels and complain very, very loudly about the licence fee also.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It seems there is a massive hate for the BBC which is ever growing. Saville & millions of pounds spent in cover ups are just some of the many reasons as we all know. It seems there's a minority culture who are refusing to pay their TV license & who're getting away with it.

I my self have been on Virgin media for the last 8 years. Since I bought my property the antenna in the loft has never been plugged in. I have been told by a few people that they can't track signals in a van outside from your house if you're on cable services. Apparently if a licensing goon from capita visits your house & you refuse to sign any documents they can't even process a case in court.

I know of people using smart tv's with wi-fi built in who can stream programs from the Internet thus not breaking any laws with no tv license.

The BBC is one of the most corrupt organizations, & I'm sick of their propaganda especially when they'll happily show graphic pictures of dead children in one conflict & cover up what's going on in another.

I'm wondering if any of you guys with a bit of nous can confirm how easy it's supposed to be to 'legally' dodge the fee whilst owning a TV. I also wonder if any of you already do so.

Please discuss

Regards.

Can't remember when I last came across such an incoherent rant on these boards.

In what way is the BBC 'corrupt'? What 'propaganda'? What do you even think you mean by "especially when they'll happily show graphic pictures of dead children in one conflict & cover up what's going on in another."

We are, as others have pointed out, in the immensely privileged position of having what's without question the best television in the world. Not just the BBC's own output - there's also all the quality tv that comes from itv and the other channels, who have constantly to raise their game to keep up. And yes, I know other countries make excellent tv - we get to see the best of it - but the vast majority of what's on in most countries in the world is lowest common denominator garbage, interspersed with endless advertising.

One day, no doubt, the fools will win, and we'll lose what is, next to the NHS, one of our greatest institutions. And once it's gone, we'll all be the losers. And we'll never get it back.

Pay your license fee and be grateful.

Top Bottom