BBC TV licensing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
TV Licensing are simplifying the law for people to understand. The reality is that the law is more nuanced than TV Licensing suggests. And it is not TV Licensing's interpretation but the courts' that is the most relevant.

Why do you find that hard to comprehend?

I have no difficulty understanding what is stated on the TV licensing website I linked to, what you are saying is they have got it wrong and if you follow their advice you are open to prosecution, it would be an interesting case.

J1780

Not too worry here the government are going ahead with a broadcasting charge. Basically, TV radio and internet(because you can watch national TV live or on player) will be subject to this charge. Its the govt way of getting every house and premises in the country to pay to our corrupt national broadcaster.

Venod

Eh up
From the TV licensing website.

Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they're being shown on television without a valid TV Licence. The Act empowers the BBC to make and amend the terms and conditions of a licence. It allows the government to make regulations to exempt or reduce the licence fee for certain persons in certain circumstances. It also makes it an offence for anyone to have any television receiver in their possession or under their control who intends to install or use it in contravention of the main offence (above), or knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use a television receiver in contravention of the main offence.

The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 define what is a 'television set' and who is a 'television dealer'. The regulations also set out the various types of TV Licence, the criteria for obtaining them, the fees payable for them (including the frequency and amount of instalments) and the different concessions available, including concessions for people who are blind or severely sight impaired, people who are over 74 years of age, people who live in residential care and people who run hotels, guesthouses or campsites.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1967 (as amended) has been repealed meaning that from 25 June 2013 onwards, TV dealers are no longer required to notify TV Licensing when they sell or rent out TV equipment.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/legislation-and-policy-AB9/

U

User6179

I have no difficulty understanding what is stated on the TV licensing website I linked to, what you are saying is they have got it wrong and if you follow their advice you are open to prosecution, it would be an interesting case.

Yep , the TV licencing website is actually encouraging law breaking according to User .

ASC1951

Guru
Read the law (I give you the exact quote up thread). The Act is very clear. It's not just the use of a television receiver without a license that is an offence. Installing a receiver is sufficient for the offence to be made out - that's why 'or' is used rather than 'and'. The courts have held that 'installed' means capable of being used, e.g. unpacked and ready for use...
With respect, aren't you confusing two things? A device which is designed for and only capable of being used to watch TV - eg a conventional telly - requires a licence and on offence is committed if you possess one and cannot prove that it is incapable of watching live TV. But if you possess a device which is primarily designed for other uses - eg a PC without a TV Card - no offence is committed nor is any licence required unless you actually use it for watching live TV.

stephec

Legendary Member
Which is the correct answer. Bugger all to do with if you use it for that purpose.

So you can't even declare it SORN if you never use it?

I used to do that with my Capri when I first got a company car, and how I'd love to do it with Strictly, Corrie, Emmerdale etc.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Never had a TV Licence, But then I've never felt the need to have a TV. The only thing that gets up my nose is the 'implied' obligation to respond to TV Licencing junk mail and the 'implied' right of access to my home. Neither of those implied obligations/rights actually exists. Currently am "Under Investigation" or at least an "Investigation has been authorised". Apparently it is suspicious behaviour to not wish to watch television!!!!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Never had a TV Licence, But then I've never felt the need to have a TV. The only thing that gets up my nose is the 'implied' obligation to respond to TV Licencing junk mail and the 'implied' right of access to my home. Neither of those implied obligations/rights actually exists. Currently am "Under Investigation" or at least an "Investigation has been authorised". Apparently it is suspicious behaviour to not wish to watch television!!!!!
Suspicious? It's downright unnatural.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
TV license is a smidge under £150; say £3 a week. Four TV channels and loads more on radio 24/7/365. Worth it for Radio 4 and 5Live overnight alone.

My other weakness is the weekday Guardian at £1.20 a day. Five days a week and I've read most of it in an hour. There's a premium edition @ £2.40 on a Saturday and something called the Observer on a Sunday at another £2.50 or so.

Kind of put the licence in context.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
My old schizophrenic neighbour Beryl had no TV. She told me it was full of evil & was anti God. She happily listened to BBC radio still. She'd read books & take her dog on 20 mile walks. Her mental illness was brought on after surviving a terrible car crash. Then the authorities moved her away as she'd fall out with her neighbours.

Very sad story really :sad:

earth

On any device!

It's true. The description of the fee is to watch live television.

I don't have a TV or a licence and I don't watch live TV. But if I wanted to watch the TdF and purchased a months Eurosport subscription to stream it over the internet then I suspect they would want me to have a TV licence. But 1. I don't have a TV and 2. in what way has the fee gone to delivering the moving images to me?

earth

The point about catch up TV is interesting. Most of the TV transmitted is pre-recorded. They do not transmit Eastenders live as it is being acted. Some wouldn't call what they do acting at all. So you are not receiving live TV you are receiving a transmission of a recording.

Last edited:
Top Bottom