Be careful out there, cyclist stabbed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
My routes for leisure avoid all town centres.

The sign I saw in a village saying all runners and cyclists would be prosecuted for trespassing made my laugh.

My routes for leisure avoid all town centres.

The sign I saw in a village saying all runners and cyclists would be prosecuted for trespassing made my laugh.
So do mine, normally, but the police closed the local dual carriageway on Friday and I had to walk through the pedestrian precinct. I forget the exact numbers but its something like, 'traffic is down by 2/3 but road accidents aren't' :sad:

Thankfully in the local villages I've seen no vitriol and only had friendly waves or hellos :okay:

McCuish

This happened last night in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, not far from an NCN route which I use quite regularly. Hope it doesn't start a trend, as these things sometimes do.

BBC News - Cyclist stabbed in eight-man gang attack in Kilbarchan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-52819358
The guy that was stabbed is a friend of a friend and is someone we would describe as a genuine cyclist and not a Ned / chav on a mountain bike , if it’s anything to go by the vitriol and hatred I’ve experienced the last few days when out on the bike has gone way beyond anything I’ve experienced before Covid lockdown it just used to be a occasional car putting on the window scooshers but now it’s being shouted and screamed at from cars and trucks, liquid of undermined origin chucked out of car windows, a private hire taxi driving directly at me and overtaking cars suddenly braking in front of me and that’s just doing a hundred odd miles this weekend round Renfrewshire/ Dunbartonshire. Has anyone else experienced a sharp jump in aggression when out on the bike?

Johnno260

Veteran
The guy that was stabbed is a friend of a friend and is someone we would describe as a genuine cyclist and not a Ned / chav on a mountain bike , if it’s anything to go by the vitriol and hatred I’ve experienced the last few days when out on the bike has gone way beyond anything I’ve experienced before Covid lockdown it just used to be a occasional car putting on the window scooshers but now it’s being shouted and screamed at from cars and trucks, liquid of undermined origin chucked out of car windows, a private hire taxi driving directly at me and overtaking cars suddenly braking in front of me and that’s just doing a hundred odd miles this weekend round Renfrewshire/ Dunbartonshire. Has anyone else experienced a sharp jump in aggression when out on the bike?

unfortunately yes.

I remedied it by getting up way earlier and avoiding main roads.

Slick

Guru
Have to be honest and say no, despite being on the same roads you describe. Maybe just lucky.

johnnyb47

Guru
It's been pretty quiet and uneventful thankfully. There's been the odd close pass but they've been done through more of ignorance than malice. With the government making more provision for cycling lanes and the influx of more cyclists taking to the roads due to Covid i feel there will a lot more abuse out there sadly

Drago

Legendary Member
About 2 decades ago in Poshville we were getting a lot of knifepoint robberies at night in a local park. I volunteered to go out in my civvies, low profile body amount under my jacket, and stagger about with a beer can in one hand and a mobile phone in the other and see who took the bait. I had some big lads on hand willing to hide in bushes etc and keep me under obs, so if it had gone south I'd have only had to hold my own for a few seconds.

The plan was rejected for "health and safety" reasons. I gave up bothering after that - if they'd rather the public were stabbed and robbed instead of a trained and well equipped officer taking a carefully considered and managed risk then why were we there at all?

Slick

Guru
When I used Google maps to establish the exact location of Kilbarchan, I couldn't help but notice a nearby district called Quarrelton :sad:.
I drove passed the spot in the picture and still think it's on the wrong side of the dual to be considered Kilbarchan and whilst I'm not a local, I wouldn't let the unfortunate name put you off. ^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
We had the same here, no stabbing but a violent assault ,guy had to stay in hospital ,8 young men attack a 50 something man stole his bike.
Another attack in same area saw arrests. Man and a woman.

If you local Peterborough ,this has been occurring in the Orton mere and ferry meadows areas in the evening.

I ride these routes twice a day...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Released on bail after stabbing people!!!
Fookin hell..

If he was a Muslim theyd have shot him dead
That's our wonderful justice system for you. So now he knows he will probably be going away for a few years for the stabbing, he'll be thinking "might as well take my chances then. If I get caught for the odd robbery/housebreaking/car theft/whatever while I'm on bail, I'll go to court facing a roll up of multiple charges. I'll get my lawyer to do a bit of plea bargaining, and then serve the sentences concurrently. Nothing to lose; now where's my favourite knife........"

Top Bottom