Be more Mike .. The touch of Mike Hall.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I'm not a fan .
No gods, no hero's for me.
But the little I know of Mike Hall, through filums and books ...
Motivates me.
I have noticed through Emily Chappell 's book and Juliana's that their fierce love and support for him ... Has had a spinoff ..

Cycling authors feel the need to have their "Mike Moment" . . When they spoke to him, when they just missed him ....

Shaun Conway writes a good book ... But feels the need to plant a tenuous "Mike Moment" ... To give a sheen of gravitas to Mike's death ..And his touch of him.

I never met Mike Hall ..
I know of him only through the media ...
But if any of you on here have not heard of him ...
Go to Google ..
Proper Yorkshire man ..
And read Emily's book ...
No gods, no hero's for me ...
But, respect Mike... 😞

Last edited:

faster

Über Member
I'm not a fan .
No gods, no hero's for me.
But the little I know of Mike Hall, through filums and books ...
Motivates me.
I have noticed through Emily Chappell 's book and Juliana's that their fierce love and support for him ... Has had a spinoff ..

Cycling authors feel the need to have their "Mike Moment" . . When they spoke to him, when they just missed him ....

Shaun Conway writes a good book ... But feels the need to plant a tenuous "Mike Moment" ... To give a sheen of gravitas to Mike's death ..And his touch of him.

I never met Mike Hall ..
I know of him only through the media ...
But if any of you on here have not heard of him ...
Go to Google ..
Proper Yorkshire man ..
And read Emily's book ...
No gods, no hero's for me ...
But, respect Mike... 😞

... and when you've done all that, watch 'Inspired to Ride'. It's available to rent for 99p on Amazon Prime at the moment, and in my opinion, is an absolute treat.

It's far from just about Mike, but he does feature heavily in it. Other than watching this film, I don't know that much about him, but he does come across as an extremely nice bloke.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Mike was an unassuming Yorkshireman who found he was good at riding a bike. He had anxiety issues and found that riding a bike helped.

He was the founder of the Transcontinental Race which started the boom in unsupported, ultra distance races and rides all over the world.

He has left a wonderful legacy.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
... and when you've done all that, watch 'Inspired to Ride'. It's available to rent for 99p on Amazon Prime at the moment, and in my opinion, is an absolute treat.

It's far from just about Mike, but he does feature heavily in it. Other than watching this film, I don't know that much about him, but he does come across as an extremely nice bloke.
I've watched it a few times now .... brilliant film ... can i also recommend "Divided" ...

nagden

Über Member
I have read a lot about Mike Hall and listened to numerous podcasts. He comes across as being a very nice man and a extremely good cyclists. A tragedy he died so early.

Slick

Guru
Definitely respect to the man. Disgusting the way he was killed and the subsequent trial.

lane

Veteran
Inspired to ride and Emily Chappell 's book both get the thumbs up from me. I never paid too much attention to the ultra endurance scene although I did follow the the round the world race quite closely that Mike won and then read Shaun Conway's book about the same race. During the lockdown I watched inspired to ride and read Emily's book and decided that I would much prefer to follow the ultra endurance scene than profession cycling in future - although of course since then there haven't been any races so i will have to wait a while.

Top Bottom