Scotland : The Highlands bealach na ba & B&B

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
been discussed many times since I have joined here, and taking inspiration from the successful tour that has recently taken place, I am taking it upon myself to start pulling ideas together.

my initial thoughts are....
  • Late April to avoid Snow and Midges
  • arrive the Friday, cycle the saturday, stay the Saturday night for some social time/ recovery
  • Travel home the Sunday
given the poor transport north, suggest car pooling from central belt northwards , with sharing of costs for fuel

This is a very hard route, its the highest road in Scotland and looks very technical, do not confuse it with the usual CC Ecosse rides as being gentle. I highly expect to be massively dropped on the climb.

Once I have an idea of numbers I will look at accommodation costs

anyone in? :smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
been discussed many times since I have joined here, and taking inspiration from the successful tour that has recently taken place, I am taking it upon myself to start pulling ideas together.

my initial thoughts are....
  • Late April to avoid Snow and Midges
  • arrive the Friday, cycle the saturday, stay the Saturday night for some social time/ recovery
  • Travel home the Sunday
given the poor transport north, suggest car pooling from central belt northwards , with sharing of costs for fuel

This is a very hard route, its the highest road in Scotland and looks very technical, do not confuse it with the usual CC Ecosse rides as being gentle. I highly expect to be massively dropped on the climb.

Once I have an idea of numbers I will look at accommodation costs

anyone in? :smile:
Good luck to you. I hope you get something going. I live much too far away to join in, but I'd have been sorely tempted otherwise. I'm aiming to get up Bealach na ba myself while on holiday in Inverinate in a few weeks time. I tell myself that if you can get up that, you can get up anything. Even if I don't make it to the top, I know it will be a great ride with fantastic views. (Aim for the stars and you might reach the moon). By the way, I've ridden around there a few times before - always in September, and have never had a problem with midges.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There were a lot of sub-zero temperatures up there in April 2013 - LINK!

2011 was a lot better though.

edindave

Über Member
Surely there could still be snow up there at the end of April?

A mate did a little bike tour up there and loved the loop over Bealach na Ba and through Applecross.

Last year the Lecht road was closed at the end of May - 2 days before the Snow Roads Audax. 2 days later it was 27 deg C on the climb.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A mate has just got back from up there. He managed to time his visit to avoid all that lovely sunshine and instead encountered torrential rain on the mainland, day after day! He ended up on Skye, where the weather seemed to be slightly better, and had a great time there.

Top Bottom