Beamish Museum, cycles, vehicles amd more (Continued Mar 25th )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Something a little different this time that our more 'senior members' may remember ?
These were taken at Beamish but I have converted them to mono and tried to replicate photographs of that era.

Let me preface them with the 1st two verses of a bitter sweet poem by A.E.Houseman called 'Is My Team Ploughing'

Is my team ploughing,
That I was used to drive
And hear the harness jingle
When I was man alive?

Ay, the horses trample,
The harness jingles now;
No change though you lie under
The land you used to plough."

i-xkZNhfg-XL.jpg

i-tbR4Hvk-XL.jpg

i-2VnP87p-XL.jpg

i-RQTzb2c-XL.jpg

i-VPGmSzq-XL.jpg

i-RdC98gH-XL.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

Beautiful, both beasts & images

Something a little different this time that our more 'senior members' may remember ?
These were taken at Beamish but I have converted them to mono and tried to replicate photographs of that era.

Let me preface them with the 1st two verses of a bitter sweet poem by A.E.Houseman called 'Is My Team Ploughing'

Is my team ploughing,
That I was used to drive
And hear the harness jingle
When I was man alive?

Ay, the horses trample,
The harness jingles now;
No change though you lie under
The land you used to plough."

View attachment 666120

View attachment 666121

View attachment 666122

View attachment 666123

View attachment 666124

View attachment 666125
Glorious, glorious.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Very senior i reckon! My grandad used to plough with horses!!

To be fair my Dad (born 1938) would have as a young man, I do recall him talking about getting the horse geared up. He also lost a few teeth getting his face in the way of donkey cart wheel, when the donkey bolted as he was attaching it.

D

Deleted member 26715

I understand the artistic bend, but would like to see them in colour, or even the originals, have you thought to a website showing the originals along side the 'modified' ones, linked to a printing service you could made a tidy living from your hobby (10% commission claim being submitted)

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Very senior i reckon! My grandad used to plough with horses!!

To be fair my Dad (born 1938) would have as a young man, I do recall him talking about getting the horse geared up. He also lost a few teeth getting his face in the way of donkey cart wheel, when the donkey bolted as he was attaching it.

Hmm, " The 1950s saw the end of the making of ploughs for horses in Scotland."

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
I understand the artistic bend, but would like to see them in colour, or even the originals, have you thought to a website showing the originals along side the 'modified' ones, linked to a printing service you could made a tidy living from your hobby (10% commission claim being submitted)
" you could made a tidy living from your hobby " Nice of you to say so, but it would then cease to be an hobby, wouldn't it ? ^_^

Here are a couple more, for you, in colour.

i-Bm57S5j-XL.jpg

i-5HkdF5V-XL.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Love the B&W photos Scaleyback...

DRM

Guru
A friend of ours from caravanning days had used horse drawn ploughs as a lad, was very interesting to learn exactly how they were used, and the way it was set up from someone who had used one for real, certainly he’d seen huge changes from that to his then current Ford Tractor

Top Bottom