Beast from the East

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
.....Actually

You Northern folk act as a buffer to the Scots who can be even worse than the French, so it makes perfect sense why you are moaning all the time. I doff my cap beret to the hard men of the North
The Scots are puppy dog tame these days. Most are unionists even if they pretend they’re not.

classic33

Leg End Member
Be warned: This type of weather can sort of shrivel things and stuff.
His bed is looking at being in use, not the bike.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
The weather forums are going into meltdown about what the various forecast models are showing for the coming week. It may not come to pass - there is potential for large amounts of snow for the end of the week but that is not yet in anything like a reliable timeframe and it could all change in the next few days if, say, warm air pushes up from the south and it turns to rain.

What I can say is that at face value, they are showing some fairly extreme weather. All triggered, it seems, by a record-breaking Sudden Stratospheric Warming a couple of weeks or so ago. Whether it snows or not, it does look like being a lot colder than the BBC figures suggest. The coldest air doesn't start arriving until Monday.

Stephenite

Membå
Stack up on the Fray Bentos... that's all I can say.

... Here in Oslo we've had the best winter for at least eight years. Lots of snow :becool:. It's like a playground has been dumped on all the asphalt and concrete. The local forests and hills turn mundane life into a little adventure wonderland. :smile:

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
The weather forums are going into meltdown about what the various forecast models are showing for the coming week. It may not come to pass - there is potential for large amounts of snow for the end of the week but that is not yet in anything like a reliable timeframe and it could all change in the next few days if, say, warm air pushes up from the south and it turns to rain.......

Warm air meeting extremely cold air is exactly the scenario most likely to produce snow.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Warm air meeting extremely cold air is exactly the scenario most likely to produce snow.

That is the uncertainty - will it be rain or snow? The models show many scenarios for blizzards but in normal circumstances, it is better to opt for the milder options. Should know by Tuesday/Wednesday as to which will happen later.

classic33

Leg End Member
Stack up on the Fray Bentos... that's all I can say.

... Here in Oslo we've had the best winter for at least eight years. Lots of snow :becool:. It's like a playground has been dumped on all the asphalt and concrete. The local forests and hills turn mundane life into a little adventure wonderland. :smile:
Good idea, drops to the -22 forecast I'd not have to go out.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Well I'm sat here looking out of the french doors at a digital max/min thermometer (which is in the shade on this otherwise glorious sunny day) and the current temp is 10.2c. I've not re-set this year and the high is 16.3c and the low is -2.3c both from a week or so ago.

However it is supposed to get worse in the week and I have just done an emergency and panic online shop for loads of baked beans, soup and longlife milk, just in case we get snowed in here in leafy Berkshire in the sub-tropical Thames Valley. I just hope the shopping van can get through in time.

Top Bottom