Beat the clocks to Windsor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
Anyone wish to join me in a little or big ride out to Windsor and the surrounding areas on the weekend of 15/16 October? Before the clocks go back at the end of the month and it starts getting dark before I'm even awake :tongue:

I was thinking of a ride similar to one we did last year. Perhaps a little shorter (perhaps not) depending on how I/we feel.

Ride to Windsor, a little tour of the countryside and into to the park before it gets too dark.

Either day is fine with me if there is a majority in favor of one, but I was planning on the Saturday.

Any takers?

3993236413_dab6ffc1e1.jpg

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Work allowing I'd be interested. Think aperitif should be too

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=77574 was the rough route.
I'm working that weekend at ExCel xx( For a nice jaunt, then I would suggest getting through Windsor, over the footbridge and out to Eton, trundle to Cookham, passing through Burnham Beeches(which should be good), lunch at the Jolly Farmer (hold raffle, don't forget) and then turn back towards Windsor via Taplow etc - avoiding the Bisham abbey and all the off-road / dead end bits and bobs...finishing with a nice blast across Eton Wick, to the Great Park via Windsor, not Datchet circuit, entering via Crimp Hill, avoid the tour of the Smiths Lawn and head straight for George Trois at the top of The Long Walk. Bow to the 'Castle' xx( and repair to the hostelry of choice!

Haven't lived around there for over a year and am a bit rusty on the minutiae, sorry.

Norm

http://bikeroutetoas...px?course=77574 was the rough route.
I'm working that weekend at ExCel xx( For a nice jaunt, then I would suggest getting through Windsor, over the footbridge and out to Eton, trundle to Cookham, passing through Burnham Beeches(which should be good), lunch at the Jolly Farmer (hold raffle, don't forget) and then turn back towards Windsor via Taplow etc - avoiding the Bisham abbey and all the off-road / dead end bits and bobs...finishing with a nice blast across Eton Wick, to the Great Park via Windsor, not Datchet circuit, entering via Crimp Hill, avoid the tour of the Smiths Lawn and head straight for George Trois at the top of The Long Walk. Bow to the 'Castle' xx( and repair to the hostelry of choice!

Haven't lived around there for over a year and am a bit rusty on the minutiae, sorry.
BrumJim and I did that route, well, the bit south of the river, about 10 days ago. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Work allowing I'd be interested. Think aperitif should be too

Me sir, please sir.

(but we'll have to arrange meeting points so I can catch you. :thumbsup: )

Yep, could be up for this

Excellent!
I guess the Londoners could meet you in Windsor Norm, unless you know somewhere better. We'll probably be coming through Staines and up the A308 into Windsor.

BrumJim and I did that route, well, the bit south of the river, about 10 days ago. :thumbsup:

At least there'll be someone who knows where they're going :biggrin:

Norm

Excellent!
I guess the Londoners could meet you in Windsor Norm, unless you know somewhere better. We'll probably be coming through Staines and up the A308 into Windsor.
I'll come through to Staines, at least, say meet at the Runnymede? Then through Old Windsor, Datchet, Eton, across Dorney Common and into the Beeches, past Cliveden and to Cookham for grub.

Then through Maidenhead, Bray and Oakley Green to Windsor, back through Old Windsor (crossing the route in), then up Crimp Hill and into the Park where, from the foot of the Copper Horse, we could see pretty much the whole route we'd just followed as well as being able to see Docklands, the Post Office Tower and the Gherkin. :becool:

Oh, I've just looked at 'teef's route map, that goes south and through Winkfield Row and then up past Shottesbrooke. Nice.

At least there'll be someone who knows where they're going :biggrin:
A resident of Windsor / Ascot for 47 years and one day, but I still regularly find new places to cycle. :thumbsup:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
so is it the saturday then?
meet point?
wot time?
how far?
:bicycle:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
so is it the saturday then?
meet point?
wot time?
how far?
:bicycle:

No ones objected to Saturday yet, so Saturday it is.

How about the usual Hyde Park corner, at 9AM.

Staines Station for 10.30ish to meet Norm.

11.30 if anyone wants to join at Windsor.

1.30 - 2 Lunch stop at the Jolly Farmer.

How far can you go? :tongue:

Martin's route is about 60 miles, but we could always chop it down a bit if it's getting late, we don't want to get back to Windsor Park before it gets dark.

Then ride home.

No ones objected to Saturday yet, so Saturday it is.

How about the usual Hyde Park corner, at 9AM.

Staines Station for 10.30ish to meet Norm.

11.30 if anyone wants to join at Windsor.

1.30 - 2 Lunch stop at the Jolly Farmer.

How far can you go? :tongue:

Martin's route is about 60 miles, but we could always chop it down a bit if it's getting late, we don't want to get back to Windsor Park before it gets dark.

Then ride home.

If you read my post of last night Luke, I did cut out all the Bisham Abbey stuff and so forth. It becomes just an out up, round and back, with a Thames view and climb into the park. Then go route one to George III rather than do the tour of the Polo Field / Obelisk - must be miles shorter then 60 knocking all that lot off...at least three pints shorter! :tongue:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Gutted I can't make it :sad:

I hope you're not studying again. You've got to get your priorities right :tongue:

If you read my post of last night Luke, I did cut out all the Bisham Abbey stuff and so forth. It becomes just an out up, round and back, with a Thames view and climb into the park. Then go route one to George III rather than do the tour of the Polo Field / Obelisk - must be miles shorter then 60 knocking all that lot off...at least three pints shorter! :tongue:

Those names don't mean much to me, so I'll have a play around with a route tonight.

I may even get a recce ride in before Saturday

Top Bottom