Beat the clocks to Windsor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
10 gifts would mean I need to take a bag with me...unless

I get some of these. I could get those in my pocket :tongue:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 1200215"]
Do my best to get a pass, Luke.

I've booked the following Friday night/all day Sat off already, for the Whitstable thing.

I'll ask the OH at an opportune moment.

Smarmy niceness time I reckon.

[/quote]

Do 2 weeks of washing up User.. that'll nail it..

potsy

Rambler
of course, but away game for me that day.. and I have had my fair share of away games to shitty norvern towns thank you very much

Very nice!!
ohmy.gif

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Here's the approx. planned route, allowing for local knowledge to take us somewhere nicer.

I've stopped it in the park where we can work out our return trips as and when. Either into the Windsor for the train/pub or straight out and back to the village of London.

The lunch stop should be at about the 36 mile mark in Cookham Dean at the Jolly Farmer (best burgers for miles :tongue:). That's at the top of the second climb of the day which should be enough to work up an appetite :whistle:

Fingers crossed for a repeat of this weekends weather.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Here's the approx. planned route, allowing for local knowledge to take us somewhere nicer.

Wot, no heads down drag race along the A4??????

Norm

Haha... that is almost exactly the route which was in my head! :thumbsup:

The only bit that I'd contemplate is where you turn off in Bray, at the 41 mile mark, you head along Monkey Island Lane, which has about 500m of gravel which was freshly laid this year and is pretty deep. The road last year looked like this, that's before the new gravel was added. I attack that with impunity on my MTB, and the Smalls love it because their bikes get all squirly on it, but I wouldn't want to take a road bike down there.

If you want a heads down drag race, you've either got Dorney Common (under the 26m mark) or the Albert Road (starting at about the 48 mile point). :thumbsup:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Fortunately for me your brain leaked onto the forum :tongue:

I'll come through to Staines, at least, say meet at the Runnymede? Then through Old Windsor, Datchet, Eton, across Dorney Common and into the Beeches, past Cliveden and to Cookham for grub.

Then through Maidenhead, Bray and Oakley Green to Windsor, back through Old Windsor (crossing the route in), then up Crimp Hill and into the Park

I'll admit to using your directions as a guide...okay I followed them exactly
whistling.gif

The edit function doesn't work very well on that site, so I'll re-do it later. Down to Holyport then onto the Forest Green Road?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster

I've stopped it in the park where we can work out our return trips as and when. Either into the Windsor for the train/pub or straight out and back to the village of London.

The lunch stop should be at about the 36 mile mark in Cookham Dean at the Jolly Farmer (best burgers for miles :tongue:). That's at the top of the second climb of the day which should be enough to work up an appetite :whistle:

Fingers crossed for a repeat of this weekends weather.

Thanks for doing the route.

Just wondering if we should divert through Richmond park, Hampton Court, Lower Sunbury and Shepperton for a prettier route than the direct boring one I do everyday? Also bypasses the shi* hole that is Hounslow where we are also more likely to be run off the road as you take you life in you hands there. Dive it is!!

Ill check out mile 25 onwards on Saturday morning, if any one fancies a cycle... Norm?

Norm

Fortunately for me your brain leaked onto the forum :tongue:
Indeed, but I still find it impressive that you were able to plot pretty much the exact route just from the name of a few towns and villages and country piles.

The edit function doesn't work very well on that site, so I'll re-do it later. Down to Holyport then onto the Forest Green Road?
That would certainly work, it's generally quiet down through Holyport and, even though the B3024 is a 60 limit from Moneyrow Green to Fifield, it's a nice ride.

Ill check out mile 25 onwards on Saturday morning, if any one fancies a cycle... Norm?
Could do as long as you don't mind waiting for me to puff up the three climbs. :biggrin:

We could meet a bit before Eton if you want. Right under mile 21 is the Windsor Farm Shop, a pleasant place for a coffee stop.

Top Bottom