Beat the clocks to Windsor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the posting coherently just goes to show how practice can make perfect. Remember the contract letter after four bottles of white?

This was a great ride. The boys Mark and Dave led us (Sig, Luke and myself) down through Putney and Richmond Park, with Davy and Mick who joined us at Roehampton Gate taking us through Ham, across the lock at Teddington, through Lower Sunbury and along the riverbank at Staines to Ruynnymede. I sort of know this part of the world, thanks to many a Cheam and Morden ride, but they added a few wrinkles, particularly around Barnes that were really sweet.

Norm joined us at Runnymede - great to meet you, Norm!

A fabulous cup of hot chocolate and one of the best bits of cyclists' cake I've ever had (you could hear the thump it made as it hit your tum) and then on to Windsor, where I had to bid them adieu - I had to help a friend who is taking up cycling at the age of 45 (hurrah!), Dave was taking snaps all morning, which I look forward to seeing.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Not long home from what was a fantastic ride.

We changed the route a bit and pooled our knowledge well culminating in a fantastic view accross Windsor great park, which really was fantastic. Theres going to be many great pics too.
Thanks again all for a great ride and hope everys got home safe.

Hello pasta and a couple bottles of red, again, ooops!

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Just got in from a fabulous ride. Well done to Davy to Norm for guiding us round.

Weather was a bit more cloudy than forecast by all the weather channels and websites and a chilly northerly wind. But still very enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to all the pics which should be along as soon as Dave's got home and uploaded them.

A Windsor ride is always worth making the effort for, but perhaps next time we'll do in in the summer.

Norm

Norm joined us at Runnymede - great to meet you, Norm!
Likewise, sir, although you are not like the picture I had in my mind. :biggrin: How did you get on with the cycle training? Do 45 year olds make willing students?

Good to meet everyone today, except Davy but only because I've ridden with him before. :tongue:

Thanks to Skywalker for suggesting the ride, and Davy for all of the scouting, a very pleasant ride, even with the diversions (at least one of which was planned in advance :whistle: ). It was a good pace, although I apologise for keeping everyone waiting on the hills. I bloody hate hills.

Getting up to the Copper Horse was fun - usually because I enjoy the view from the base of the monument but this time it because it was hilarious watching three pseudo-CX boys riding up the wet grassy slope.

Thanks to Sig for the fantastic cake. A real boost, that was. :thumbsup:

Thinking back, we visited a few places today. We'd covered Runnymede, Windsor, Eton Rowing Lake, Cookham and the Jolly Farmer before we even turned towards the Great Park.

I must admit that the ride home was tough. It was only about 10 miles but it was getting chilly and my legs were shot by that stage. I must ride more. Totalled 55 miles, though, so that's the first 50 I've done on that bike.

Oh, and I'm proud to tell Aperitif that we got to the coffee van about 5 minutes before it closed.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
To echo the others, a great ride. Well done Luke for instigating it and a good idea to delegate sections of route planning to 'locals', it surley gave us a more interesting ride.
The rain came but wasn't too bad and as Mistral said It gave some wonderful light. The lunch was worth the climb, the beer was cracking! I could have been very tempted to have more than enough, I think we all could.
Windsor Great Park was a revelation for me, even though it is close to home I had never been around it. Wonderful views and very nice surroundings, I must take my everloving for a cycle ride there.
Sigs cherry & almond cake at Saville Gardens rivalled the NT raspberry & coconut Sponge at Runnymede where wehad to turn on our lights and left Norm to make his way home. Mick (Mistral) took a right at Engelfield Green to head for Esher and the rest went to Staines to see Dave & Sig on to the Train which left Luke Davy and I to wend our way home.I split fromm the others at Laleham for a final leg stretch down the A308 to Sunbury and on to home.
A smidgen under 90 miles for me.

Norm

Windsor Great Park was a revelation for me, even though it is close to home I had never been around it. Wonderful views and very nice surroundings, I must take my everloving for a cycle ride there.
It's a regular ride for me, there's a load of hidden areas in which you won't see anyone else for hours.

The Royal Landscape also do several leaflets and maps for cycling in the park.

http://www.theroyallandscape.co.uk/attachments/published/2399/Cyclist Leaflet Aug21Ver7FINAL.pdf

http://www.theroyallandscape.co.uk/attachments/published/170/70328 Cycling in Windsor Great Park.pdf

There's usually copies of these at the place we stopped for coffee, but they had only an empty holder there, so print a copy of each out before you go. Basic rule is that you can cycle most places which are paved, but be careful round pedestrians.

If you want a decent coffee, then the restaurant in Savill Gardens do very good snacks and meals, although they are a bit pricey.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Here's my GPS route for today. just a touch under 90 miles and a healthy average moving speed.

Windsor Route

And I remembered to get my phone out for a few snaps this time. So just a little teaser until Dave get's his loaded up.

33uese8.jpg

11vhb9l.jpg

Our new support vehicle has been found

9sfofk.jpg

Our bikes enjoying the sun, while

5k35nl.jpg

We enjoy a well earned beer and food

207rzer.jpg

Sig has a new cake transportation device (yummy!)

1zbclyf.jpg

The view from the copper horse

whb4j.jpg

Your camera may not be as big Davy, but at least you thighs are (even relaxed) :tongue:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
it was an armwarmer and buff morning

Which came first the avatar or Norm?

I had a wake up call this morning whilst riding through bushy park psssssssssss

A lovely ride today we rode along the river at staines which was new for me,
the road up to the jolly farmer wasn't as steep as the first time i rode up last year.

Windsor park (we saw a royal) is great, we'll be back and that statue is huge

does it count as a mouseketeer ride if we do less than 100 miles (in day light)?

luke simon mark sig norm mick davy another one for the diary thanks

http://img268.imageshack.us/g/windsorwithluke001.jpg/
http://img268.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=windsorwithluke001.jpg

gbs

Guru
What's happened gbs?

V unlucky; was in third rank of a multibike pileup. Broken ulna and thumb; clean break, good bones a good fixation says the bone cutter at Charing Cross Hospital.

First faller was a pothole victim so CTC are on the case.

Conclusion: front riders should never relax!

davidg

looks really good. gutted my knee is taking longer to heal than it should...

hope there is something in November or may attempt to organise one myself again!

Norm

Just realised that I haven't uploaded any of my offerings...

The Magna Carta memorial
th_DSCN0180.jpg

Runnymede and a little piece (approx 1 acre) of America only a few miles from Heathrow...
th_DSCN0181.jpg

Davy trying to show exactly how camp George III looks by copying his pose
th_DSCN0183.jpg

Well, if you've got a castle, you need to have a decent driveway
th_DSCN0184.jpg

Not so much parked as abandoned
th_DSCN0186.jpg

Copper Horse, blue sky
th_DSCN0190.jpg

Seeking Zebra, found Horse
th_DSCN0192.jpg

Top Bottom