Beat the clocks to Windsor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Fantastic report, Davy, I was riding it on your shoulder. :thumbsup:

I will check point 5 again on Thurday unless anyone else knows that that turning leads to more craters?
Sadly, craters and lots of them are the order of the day on Amerden Lane. It's a nice cut through, I have used it on the CX bike but I'd say that it was in a worse state, and was longer, than Monkey Island Lane.

Norm - PM me your number and I'll let you know when we're leaving HPC. If we make good progress we'll be about 2 hours. Do you have a special spot in Runnymede you want us to meet you?
I was thinking of the Runnymede Tea Rooms, which are just as you leave Runnymede. They are on the left of this view, signposted to the Memorials car park. Will peeps be looking for a coffee break after 2 hours or do we just head off?

PM is on its way.

Norm

Which if we take, any reason why we could not fit in a lap of Dorney Lake? I've never been.
Sorry, meant to answer this one too. A lap of the lake is possible, I ride it several times a week and I've ridden round it with the family. There is a good tarmac path on both sides, as coaches use bikes when training rowers on the lake.

We need to remember that it is private land, though, owned by Eton College and there is often stuff going on there at the weekend but, as a 2.5km long dead straight strip of water which will be the venue for the Olympics in under 2 years, it could be of interest to many.

Sig SilverPrinter

Right I should be ok for this as long as I can catch up on some sleep beforehand, and don't oversleep on the day.

Surviving on 5hrs sleep a night and working up to 14hrs in the darkroom for the past 2 weeks is not very good for me so I could do with a bit of fun.

I may bring cake :hungry:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Cheers Norm:thumbsup:

Looking at the google maps pic, I can honestly say that it was actually worse than that, those craters were feet deep and spread all accross the width of the lane. I pretty much cycled that stretch one legged with the other leg dangling just above the ground for safety reasons.. Fun, but not a group ride on racing bike fun..

I was thinking the tearooms too. Am sure theres works of Art in there some of us could muse over and it could be good for a quick coffee break, time permitting?

Thanks for the details, I for one, would like to do Dorney Lake..

Sig, you trooper, we all love you!

Thanks for the details, I for one, would like to do Dorney Lake..

Was at Dorney Lake on Monday. The place is amazing especially with the sun shining and the rowers are out, it should make a great part to the ride. Looks like I am going to miss this ride now due to family commitments.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm afraid I'm out too. Not feeling too great today and don't think 8 hours of cycling on Sat is likely to help. I'm determined not to miss the Whitstable run next week so I doubt i'll be out at all this weekend.

Hope you all have a great ride.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I think I now think I feel a bit like what Dellzeqq does a few does before a fnrttc with the cat feeling off and wet weather looming... :sad:

Norm

Wet? It looks cold but dry to me. :thumbsup:

Would it help if I suggested leading a slower group for those not wanting to push themselves? There's plenty of short cuts that we could take, missing out on some of the climbs without missing too much of the scenery?

mistral

Guru
Right I should be ok for this as long as I can catch up on some sleep beforehand, and don't oversleep on the day.

Surviving on 5hrs sleep a night and working up to 14hrs in the darkroom for the past 2 weeks is not very good for me so I could do with a bit of fun.

I may bring cake :hungry:

Sig, it will be great to see you, with or without cake.

I feel sorry for those who can't make it, this was a great ride last year.

Hopefully the weather will be kind to us.

See you all Saturday

Rebel Ian

Was at Dorney Lake on Monday. The place is amazing especially with the sun shining and the rowers are out, it should make a great part to the ride. Looks like I am going to miss this ride now due to family commitments.

Would love to join you guys on this as it's in my neck of the woods but am looking after kids whilst SWMBO is out. However, re Dorney, what part are you thinking of cycling round? Last time I went up there I thought bikes were prohibited?

Norm

However, re Dorney, what part are you thinking of cycling round? Last time I went up there I thought bikes were prohibited?
As I pointed out, the Lake is private land and is often used at weekends - I've seen several triathalons there, as well as regattas this year - but they are generally ok about people using it for leisure, as long as they / we are considerate. Indeed, the path closest to the water has signs warning pedestrians about cyclists.

There's even a sign on NCN route 4 (just past this cattle grid) which could be interpreted to show the NCN4 route taking the northern perimeter road. We'll go in through the main entrance and head down to the water, see what's going on.

Top Bottom