Beat the clocks to Windsor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
PPS. Next time we have a cycle, can we just all go on an magical mystery tour, no planned routes, no garmins, no maps, we just cycle in one direction, stop and eat when hungry and head back? Much more fun me thinks!

I only did the route to give us some idea. We absolutely do not need to stick to it.

I'm terrible with navigation and finding my way around so I need something to help get me from A to B without going via H, S, M and Y before doubling back via Q and X
wacko.gif

All these road names being thrown about has already got me confused. I think I hit my peak on page 1 :tongue:

I've decided I'm going to need better people than me to get us there, it will be a group effort.

Hopefully I can get Mistral or Mark to help from Richmond to Staines, then Davy through to Windsor and beyond (no TECing for you this time) before tapping into Norms local knowledge to get us to Cookham in time for lunch.

We'll make plans when we're there to get us back to Windsor Park.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hi Norm,

We dropped down to Windsor via Winkfield and the Winkfield Road to Windsor. I would propose we drop down, half way that is, down Sheet Street and turn into the Windsor Great Park there. I need to do one more check tonight, but I would also propse we drop down through Fifield, after Bray, and along Drift Road to the Mounts Hill Roundabout to get to Sheet St. What you reckon?

I am in complete agreement with you, that after lunch, we go back to Cookham and along the A4094 rather than "through the houses" in skirting Pinkneys Green and Maidenhead. Much prettier and reduces any errors. Maybe we do this by going along Winter Hill Road, hang a left to Choke Lane & Long lane to Cookham Rise rather than a complete back-track, good views too, and we might see some "Hanging Duck" too..

Kinda like this:- http://maps.google.c...1,0.339203&z=12

Ah, no, it wasnt me buddy, I was still in work then, bloody cold last night though!!

Ah, Luke, didnt mean it like that, this has been a really good and fun exercise and has done loads to increase my local knowledge. But think next year when the days are longer, we just wake up, meet up and head out, lotsa fun and not a care in the world..

Being I now pretty much know all this route you can use me where ever, no worries.

Edit, ignore this link.

Norm

We dropped down to Windsor via Winkfield and the Winkfield Road to Windsor. I would propose we drop down, half way that is, down Sheet Street and turn into the Windsor Great Park there. I need to do one more check tonight, but I would also propse we drop down through Fifield, after Bray, and along Drift Road to the Mounts Hill Roundabout to get to Sheet St. What you reckon?
The only change would be to go through Bray Village and Moneyrow Green rather than up Hibbert Road and along the A330/Ascot Road.

Hibbert Road is narrow and winding (as the Google car shows), and carries enough rat-traffic that I don't take the kids down there, for instance, as people don't expect to find cyclists and can travel way over the posted limits down there. The A330 is also not good through Holyport (again, you can see this from the Google car, including the horse box) and past Stud Green. It carries lots of traffic, including some large vehicles and it is narrow enough that it's not easy for a car and lorry to pass in places, I don't particularly like throwing a bike into the mix.

The Upper Bray Road and Holyport Road, in contrast, are wider, straighter and carry only cars. :thumbsup:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
The only change would be to go through Bray Village and Moneyrow Green rather than up Hibbert Road and along the A330/Ascot Road.

Hibbert Road is narrow and winding (as the Google car shows), and carries enough rat-traffic that I don't take the kids down there, for instance, as people don't expect to find cyclists and can travel way over the posted limits down there. The A330 is also not good through Holyport (again, you can see this from the Google car, including the horse box) and past Stud Green. It carries lots of traffic, including some large vehicles and it is narrow enough that it's not easy for a car and lorry to pass in places, I don't particularly like throwing a bike into the mix.

The Upper Bray Road and Holyport Road, in contrast, are wider, straighter and carry only cars. :thumbsup:

Oh, did I link the wrong link? Yeh, I agree, I wasnt intending to go that way though too, for the same reasons. I was looking at going along Monkey Island Lane though Bray and avoiding the A330/Ascot road completely. Me and 'teef got White Van Manned along there.. once was enough...

Edit:- Balls, just checked that link, not sure why that ones come up, this one should be better. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...1.510719,-0.694456&spn=0.025641,0.054331&z=14

Oh, did I link the wrong link? Yeh, I agree, I wasnt intending to go that way though too, for the same reasons. I was looking at going along Monkey Island Lane though Bray and avoiding the A330/Ascot road completely. Me and 'teef got White Van Manned along there.. once was enough...

'Get you duckie'! :smile:

Once would have been enough if he had gone past you when your outside thigh was on the upstroke! :rofl:
Maybe just edit the 'l' out of clocks and go for a random ride - and cover all the suggestions! :biggrin:
(Personally I would trust Norm, and make sure he delivers you to the hot tea kiosk at The Obelisk in WGP before it shoves off!)

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
'Get you duckie'! :smile:

Once would have been enough if he had gone past you when your outside thigh was on the upstroke! :rofl:
Maybe just edit the 'l' out of clocks and go for a random ride - and cover all the suggestions! :biggrin:
(Personally I would trust Norm, and make sure he delivers you to the hot tea kiosk at The Obelisk in WGP before it shoves off!)

Ohhh, they do cake? Dont think ive ever stopped off there..

Am sure if my right thigh had caught the WV on the upstroke when the 64cms are just going from relaxed to expansion, then that wvm would have been flipped over, "Go-Go Gadget Shovel" styliee! Shame...

Norm

Edit:- Balls, just checked that link, not sure why that ones come up, this one should be better. http://maps.google.c...1,0.054331&z=14
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Have you ridden that way?

Way back on page 3, I questioned Redjedi's suggestion of Monkey Island Lane because there's about 500m of gravel track there. I've ridden it plenty (it's very close to home for me) but I'd avoid it on a road bike, especially with the gravel that they laid earlier this year.

That earlier post included this link to the Streetview of the start of the lane, and there's now 2" of gravel on top of that surface.

...make sure he delivers you to the hot tea kiosk at The Obelisk in WGP before it shoves off!

Ohhh, they do cake? Dont think ive ever stopped off there..
Coincidentally, of all the kiosks and shops on the route, that's the one that I always stop at for a brew. Not sure about cake but they do lovely bacon sarnies. :thumbsup:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Just home from another reccie ride. Am cold tired and hungry but well chuffed at resisting the lure of all four golden arches on the way home along the bath road, darn things! But the smell of the nestle factory, mmmmmmm!

Sooo.. full update tomorrow!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
now I need reminding - start, time, place, day?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Okay, am awake and fed now..

So, last nights reccie from Staines to Windsor via Cookham.
  • Diverting into Datchet and by-passing Windsor, is just boring... Defo reccomend carrying on around to Windsor via King Edward Ave and over the pretty little bridge into Eton.
  • Turning off the B3026 at Dorney Village takes us along a nice little lane all the way up to the Bath Road.
  • Which if we take, any reason why we could not fit in a lap of Dorney Lake? I've never been.
  • As great as the view was, unless we fancy a bit of cyclocross for about 1km, as it was literally crater after crater, we avoid Amerden Lane after Dorney Lake up to Bath Road. However Marsh Lane was fine.
  • There seems to be a turning along Marsh Lane that will take us through and along the river there, which if it is not potholey would defo be worth it, as not only is that area nice, but it also then avoids a small section of the Bath Road, and...
  • It would then lead us up Berry Hill and Cliveden Road, which I througherly enjoyed and was in my mind a better way up to and past Taplow. After the Berry Hill incline, its kinda like a speedy false flat that gentley rises.
  • The downhill sections through Cliveden and down to Bourne End and very fast so we need to err on caution.
  • the A4094, Lower Cookham Road was a pleasure again to cycle along so would 100% say we take that route after lunch.
  • Norm, am sorry for doubting you but I do have a curious mind. Monkey Island Lane is a no go, whats a shame. If you can cycle through deep shingle, then go for it, but I ground to a sudden halt.. not pleasant.. shame none the less..
  • Upper Bray Road down to Windsor Road was fine.
  • Cycling briefly along the Windsor Road, which was boring, but then turning right to Fifield along the Fifield Road was in my mind nicer and prettier than going through Holyport and the Holyport Road, and leads us on nicely to Fifield Lane. However, Forest Green Road was equally nice. 6 or one, half a dozen of another really..
  • Turning left at the end of Fifield Lane and then along Drift Road was fine too, slight incline but it was like that all the way to and along Mounts Hill till Mounts Hill Roundabout.
  • I love dropping along down and fast too along Sheet Street on the way to Winsdor. I would also say its worth missing the easy turn into Windsor Great Park and carrying to the second gate, if not the slight incline where the road rises again, if only for the view and then double back a few yard to the second gate entrance.
  • Yes, it does mean we have an incline back into W.G.P. but in my mind, its worth it.
I will check point 5 again on Thurday unless anyone else knows that that turning leads to more craters?

However, hope thats okay and uselful info.

PS. I did do this in the dark so didnt experience the full views but from what I did see under cloudy moon light, it looked good.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I make it about 48miles from HPC to the lunch stop.

So a 9am leave from HPC I would say is pretty much a must. If not a fraction earlier.. say 8:30 as we dont want to miss out on lunch.

I think Luke did a list and kept tabs on the riders etc.. possibly?

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Excellent work Davy. I'm sure between you and Norm we'll work out a great ride.

now I need reminding - start, time, place, day?

Saturday 16th October
Hyde Park Corner
Depart time 9am on the dot (unless everyones happy to get there earlier, 8.30?)

Second meet point is at Runnymede where we pick up Norm.

Cookham Dean by 1pm at the latest to get served lunch.

Riders so far

Redjedi
Norm
Topcat1
Davywalnuts
Mista Preston
martint235
Mark Grant
Mistral
Dellzeqq ( +1?)
User1314 ?
Sig?
Zimzum ?

Norm - PM me your number and I'll let you know when we're leaving HPC. If we make good progress we'll be about 2 hours. Do you have a special spot in Runnymede you want us to meet you?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Saturday 16th October
Hyde Park Corner
Depart time 9am on the dot (unless everyones happy to get there earlier, 8.30?)

Zimzum ?

I really hope I can make this one, but no chance I'll get there before 9am, if anything I'll go all Clive and be there 10 minutes late...

In which case I'll be phoning one of you up and chasing you all down!

Top Bottom