Beat the Heat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No plans to cycle while this heat lasts; I went out recently and sat down in sweaty shorts, then stood up and noticed that I had left wet patches!

Luckily the open office window just beside me is sending a good breeze of warm air over me.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
No plans to cycle while this heat lasts; I went out recently and sat down in sweaty shorts, then stood up and noticed that I had left wet patches!

Is that just your age?

10129949?id=-Klmv1&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,1&wid=504&hei=548.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
On the hottest day since records began, I am working in the office in shorts and T shirt. No wonder we lost our empire.
Saw a guy cycling ahead of me this morning wearing a hi viz waterproof jacket in the sunshine

Have any of you changed the habits of a lifetime to cope with the heat?
I saw a guy yesterday similar in nylon jacket, nylon tracksuit longs and a lid. I was dying in shorts, t shirt, lidless (unusual for me) after 5 minutes!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I rode earlier today and now I'm indoors, fans on, windows currently shut, blinds shut on the sun side, may open the upstairs windows on the shaded side in an hour or so. Outdoors 37c. Indoors 27c. The book I steal ideas from ("Cooling without air con") reckons 29c moving air is about the limit for comfort at this humidity level. I'd say it's about right.

I did go outside about an hour ago. It's rather like walking into a hairdryer out there. I think I'll wait for this evening and then only sit in the shade!

tom73

Guru
When I worked in the main office we use to have a guy from FM who use to come round and close the windows. They use to say it messed up the air con. Once he'd gone we just opened them all over again. The trick was we worked out when he came round so in winter we use to open them so he had to go round shutting them. He had to test them as part of the fire regs he hated calling on our floor :smile:

Working in commercial glasshouses was interesting in this weather you just got use to it in the end.
Watering was hard work 7-10,000 gallons on a good day i'm not sure who got more of a watering us or the plants.
Not forgetting to check for customers in the polytunnels before turning on the over head watering :whistle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A buddy of mine got the contract to install the hydroponics in the Sultan of Oman's glasshouses, where the plants were to be propagated for Oman's own version of the Eden Project. He said you could only dash inside for a few minutes at a time as it was hitting well over 60c and if you left anything metal in there, you'd have to leave it until the next morning when it was cool enough to pick up.

i'm off to Somerset this evening, from Milton Keynes, by bike.

i'm not sure ill need the lightweight sleeping bag in the bivvi tonight but tomorrow night may be a different story.

as for keeping cool, im not

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom