Beat the Heat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Can you access the Internet with smart shorts?

If you can, I don't recommend logging on

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hot countries often use concrete sleepers which allow the rails to be bolted down more firmly. This allows allows the tracks to be stressed, or pre stretched, so thermal expansion is accommodated. Problem in the UK is if we did that then in winter conditions the railways would be tricky, so it doesn't ultimately solve anything but simply moves the operating window to a different temperature range.
The UK uses stressed rails widely, but unlike countries with wider temperature ranges (Russia I think is one), the UK doesn't restress them between seasons (expensive, increases engineering track closures) and we're near/above the safe maximum rail temperature limit for high speed running in many places now. In some places, watchmen(/watchwomen?) are deployed but when they run out of people to watch for damage, blanket speed restrictions of 60mph or 20mph are applied, resulting in what we're seeing today.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Can you access the Internet with smart shorts?

Yep and make phone calls :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Love the advice they always give out when we have a heatwave...... like drink plenty of water, try and stay in the shade and other little nuggets of stating the bleeding obvious.
Thanks for that, i was going to put my coat on and sit in the greenhouse.
Yeah but that sort of limp lettuce response is all our current government will do. No matter how bad it gets, they won't do the sensible things like restrict private cars from entering pollution hotspots or cut public transport ticket prices - that's what horrible furrin countries like France do, not good ol' Blighted!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The cycle commute was nowhere near as hot as I thought it would be. It felt much hotter yesterday due to the fierce sun rather then the clouded over heat of today.

Hicky

Guru
I just take a water bottle with some stuff in it, I normally don’t bother. Hydrate and eat sensibly things are good. It was an easier ride as I’d noticed that my wheel and brakes were rubbing due to the dog knocking my bike over...fixed before the ride home, mutt

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On the hottest day since records began, I am working in the office in shorts and T shirt. No wonder we lost our empire.
Saw a guy cycling ahead of me this morning wearing a hi viz waterproof jacket in the sunshine

Have any of you changed the habits of a lifetime to cope with the heat?
I saw some Lancashire County Council 'road digger' workmen wearing plastic high viz jackets and pants today in 30 C plus temperatures. If i'd been one of them i'd have said sod the health and safety and took the jacket off and maybe even the pants!:heat:

Top Bottom