Beat the Heat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Spare a thought for the millions and millions of people who live nearer the equator and have to do hard physical jobs all their lives in even higher temperatures. Britain may be becoming a poxy nation (especially after yesterday) but it still has a good balance of weather and other factors that make it a safe and comfortable place to live.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Spare a thought for the millions and millions of people who live nearer the equator and have to do hard physical jobs all their lives in even higher temperatures. Britain may be becoming a poxy nation (especially after yesterday) but it still has a good balance of weather and other factors that make it a safe and comfortable place to live.

But I got a tan !!! In Wales for gawd sake !!

It's not natural mun

Dave7

Legendary Member
That was a hot, difficult game of golf. Worst I've played in years.
Home now enjoying a long whisky with plenty of lemonade.
Like everybody, sleep tonight will be difficult.....it is sooo close with no sign of the promised storm.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Yes we are incredibly lucky, despite that basket case.

But spare a thought for those of us doing hard physical labour in the heat in this country too..
And trying to keep our crops (your food) alive, and thriving in it.

(For sure it's far worse for our brothers and sisters in the global south - there's real drought trouble there already - mainly caused by our own fossil fuel profligacy

This isn't just a few hot days of inconvenience, that makes it unpleasant for cycling.

This is a real ongoing problem, and extreme weather events like this are only going to get worse.

If we don't act now, right now, treat this like the emergency it is..

It will be too late.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Right on Mudsticks.

Might have to change my name..

I've pretty much forgotten what mud looks like :sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Little will change because the Human race will find ways around the problems and carry on pillaging the Earth. I expect to see glaciers disappear from the Alps in the next 20 years. Look how we have managed to thrive in the Middle East and Africa; we will continue to manipulate our own environments with heating and air conditioning and better building design and we will survive until something so bad happens that the majority of us are wiped out.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hot countries often use concrete sleepers which allow the rails to be bolted down more firmly. This allows allows the tracks to be stressed, or pre stretched, so thermal expansion is accommodated. Problem in the UK is if we did that then in winter conditions the railways would be tricky, so it doesn't ultimately solve anything but simply moves the operating window to a different temperature range.

Top Bottom