Beaten by the snow!.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Sad day today, for 1st time in at least 10 years I'm not biking to work!.

Yesterday was just stupid on my thinnish tyres and compacted snow (nearly had 3 offs), cars seem to carry on regardless..

Hiking boots on today and a snowy walk in!.

Good luck anyone braving the snow today on 2 wheels, hats off to you!.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Sad day today, for 1st time in at least 10 years I'm not biking to work!.

Yesterday was just stupid on my thinnish tyres and compacted snow (nearly had 3 offs), cars seem to carry on regardless..

Hiking boots on today and a snowy walk in!.

Good luck anyone braving the snow today on 2 wheels, hats off to you!.

That's an impressive record.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The same as me. When I was in SE London the snow was never a problem for cycling. Even when heavy as the main roads were always passable. Now I'm much further out in the Kent countryside, there's no way I can get to work. A lot of snow on the ground (and it's still snowing) and trains are being cancelled all over the place.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Beaten for the first time since Feb 2003....I had a chest infection then meaning I had to get the train to work for a week.

This year has been pretty bad for me.Been down with three colds or whatever they were.Starting on 21st December and went on into January with and added bug on new years eve meaning I couldn't hold food in meaning I lost half a stone in weight.

Went down with a second bug almost two weeks ago and not fully recovered yet.Gunge coming up from chest but still managed to cycle through all these bugs.

Then on 15th Feb I had a spill at East India on the cobblestones on the CS 3 and although it was a low speed no damage spill I've buggered my knee up.

Since then I've used the Audax and ditched the fixie...and further to that I've only been riding in low gear.

No way can I afford another spill with which snow and ice increases the chances off so I will be walking in to work on Saturday and getting there by hook and by crook.Also a two mile walk to the opticians tomorrow and no bike.

Not good at work either...Failed medical for eyesight and dodgy ECG.

Oh well I'm luckier than many.

Drago

Legendary Member
Pah. When I were three years old I used to cycle 60 miles each way to my job sweeping chimneys and delivering Hovis up steep hills, and a 20 foot snowdrift never stopped me, despite both legs having been blown off by a Bosche artillery shell in WWI.

On a serious note, that's a pretty good record Keith. It ain't worth risking your neck if things are really grim out there.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Pah I used to cycle up Snowdon on my bike everyday to deliver the papers. Then i would head south through Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons to go to school. Never missed a day despite drifts you could hide a town in,

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Beaten for the first time since Feb 2003....I had a chest infection then meaning I had to get the train to work for a week.

This year has been pretty bad for me.Been down with three colds or whatever they were.Starting on 21st December and went on into January with and added bug on new years eve meaning I couldn't hold food in meaning I lost half a stone in weight.

Went down with a second bug almost two weeks ago and not fully recovered yet.Gunge coming up from chest but still managed to cycle through all these bugs.

Then on 15th Feb I had a spill at East India on the cobblestones on the CS 3 and although it was a low speed no damage spill I've buggered my knee up.

Since then I've used the Audax and ditched the fixie...and further to that I've only been riding in low gear.

No way can I afford another spill with which snow and ice increases the chances off so I will be walking in to work on Saturday and getting there by hook and by crook.Also a two mile walk to the opticians tomorrow and no bike.

Not good at work either...Failed medical for eyesight and dodgy ECG.

Oh well I'm luckier than many.
I hear you , since last year i am wary of having another off and farking myself again , keep plugging away and its better to be a bit fatter than flatter

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Cheers all, wasn't a bad walk in this morning but hopefully back on the bike tomorrow!.
I was the same as you on Wednesday, but I greatly enjoyed the 5 mile walk back home.
Been off the last couple of days, will try the bike again tomorrow.
I am always disappointed in myself when I don't cycle, specially if I see others on two wheels.
If those others fall off once out of my line of vision I don't know though :laugh:

Lonestar

Veteran
Well I was mugged off today.Got to the high road and it was slushy at 4 in the morning.Couldn't make my mind up...then the bus came...So caught the bus to work...Got the tube back but did miss the bike.I couldn't risk it,was worried about the ice but it was obviously milder this morning...although I couldn't use my favourite backstreet routes.

First time I can remember using the bus to work but perhaps I had times in the 90's when I used the bus and public transport every now and again...Knee feels slightly better and will cycle in tomorrow.Will test knee on turbo trainer tonight and perhaps I can start that again after this two week nightmare.

Those stinking bugs I had this year I told the work doc and he said about Vitamin D or D3...which I was taking before the run out and I rarely went down with bugs when I was taking those tablets.So will start them again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was the same as you on Wednesday, but I greatly enjoyed the 5 mile walk back home.
Been off the last couple of days, will try the bike again tomorrow.
I am always disappointed in myself when I don't cycle, specially if I see others on two wheels.
If those others fall off once out of my line of vision I don't know though :laugh:

Well I was mugged off today.Got to the high road and it was slushy at 4 in the morning.Couldn't make my mind up...then the bus came...So caught the bus to work...Got the tube back but did miss the bike.I couldn't risk it,was worried about the ice but it was obviously milder this morning...although I couldn't use my favourite backstreet routes.

First time I can remember using the bus to work but perhaps I had times in the 90's when I used the bus and public transport every now and again...Knee feels slightly better and will cycle in tomorrow.Will test knee on turbo trainer tonight and perhaps I can start that again after this two week nightmare.

Those stinking bugs I had this year I told the work doc and he said about Vitamin D or D3...which I was taking before the run out and I rarely went down with bugs when I was taking those tablets.So will start them again.
Used the car all last week and i feel fat , grumpy and annoyed with myself but unless i had full on fat bike or similar i would have been on my back side and that wind chill was terrible especially with my cack circulation.
Snow drifts across the lanes and compacted frozen snow on the main roads meant i had either to take it really slowly or at one point dig up the hill to get home .

13 rider

Guru
I was defeated on Saturday and took the car . Managed all week on the roadie with skinny tyres as the commute hybrid was in the Lbs which I got back on Friday so thought Id be ok on Sat but fresh snow overnight ontology of frozen stuff made me take the safer option . Still gutted though as I was trying to do a full year this year

Top Bottom