Beckton (London) Hit & Run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelcycle

I'm sure they will employ every trick in the book to do just that, as is their very nature.

If they can get away with not paying, then that's exactly what they will do. Their first duty is to maximise their own profits after all no matter how cuddly their advertising makes them appear...

michaelcycle

Well I just noticed that the MIB website doesn't do what it says. Useful. Is it better to put a claim through them now, or wait until the police potentially collar the person responsible and it (hopefully) goes to a criminal court hearing?

Up to you really. The MIB can be rather slow (actually ridiculously slow) so it may well be that if the Police locate the defendant and an insurer then your claim will just get bunged over to the insurer to deal with eventually. If no insurer can be located then you will be further along the MIB process than if you had waited. The MIB will also liase with the Police over the status of the enquiries before paying out.

classic33

Leg End Member
Download the required forms. Both the Uninsured Driver & Untraceable Driver forms, complete & send off. If in the meantime the driver/vehicle is located, the MIB will hand the case onto their insurer. They will also inform the DVLA & Police, so seperate actions may be taken by them against the driver/owner.

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

Got the bike back now, very impressed with both the work and service of Paul at Harry Perry Cycles in Woolwich - absolutely exceptional work, can't recommend them enough. Paul is very knowledgeable with older bikes such as my own.

Downside: riding back home, got off the Woolwich ferry then had 2 lorries attempt to overtake me 2 separate times on sharp(ish) left-hand bends. Luckily I saw them both coming and was able to brake out the way. I should explain that from the Woolwich ferry to my place is only just over 5 minutes...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Got the bike back now, very impressed with both the work and service of Paul at Harry Perry Cycles in Woolwich - absolutely exceptional work, can't recommend them enough. Paul is very knowledgeable with older bikes such as my own.

Downside: riding back home, got off the Woolwich ferry then had 2 lorries attempt to overtake me 2 separate times on sharp(ish) left-hand bends. Luckily I saw them both coming and was able to brake out the way. I should explain that from the Woolwich ferry to my place is only just over 5 minutes...
Good to know that Perry is doing fine work.

I'd guess it was the approach to the Redgrave bridge?

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

I'd guess it was the approach to the Redgrave bridge?

That was one of the points - the other and closer one was directly outside of the old North Woolwich rail station. I didn't even see the guy until his bumper was next to me and I was just about to start the bend. My place is essentially at the other side of the Redgrave Bridge, so you can appreciate just how small a distance this happened in.

Moda

Had some experience recently with motor vehicle damage to my bike.The bloke that did it couldn't have been nicer he even after paying nearly £1100 to have it repaired apologised for the inconvenience.
Am so glad I didn't have to deal with an insurance company.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Had some experience recently with motor vehicle damage to my bike.The bloke that did it couldn't have been nicer he even after paying nearly £1100 to have it repaired apologised for the inconvenience.
Am so glad I didn't have to deal with an insurance company.

Wow, £1100, you were a very lucky person to have a driver willing to pay out that sort of money, most seem to have the opinion that bikes don't cost much and will be cheap to repair, and from what I have read and seen get a shock when told otherwise.

Moda

Wow, £1100, you were a very lucky person to have a driver willing to pay out that sort of money.
There were witness statements and substantial photographic evidence so the driver couldn't really deny what he'd done.

Originally I was worried that a large bill would have him clam up and refuse to pay BUT a friend said that a private settlement was massively in his favour as getting the police involved to get his details would make matters much worse. Driving off with out giving/leaving details, insurance excess, increased premiums after a claim not to mention the council wanting compensation for the damaged lamp post.

The individual did I feel call my bluff in asking for the photo evidence but after that as I said couldn't have been nicer. Paid the LBS invoice direct to speed things up and paid me direct for 3 weeks worth of Tracelcards.

Nope I wish it hadn't happened but can't complain about the outcome. Hope the OP has it as easy.

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

I don't think I'm going to @Moda - the police are already involved, I called the department (Road Criminal Justice Team or something along those lines, sounds like a really bad superhero outfit to me) yesterday to establish what's happening. I have been assigned a case officer and she told me that they had only received my form on Tuesday (a week after I handed it over to the police station!) but that they would be writing out to me yesterday evening (2nd class, so letter could arrive beginning of next week) and sending out a questionnaire to the witness (meaning they must have been in touch with him already, as he only left his name and phone number) and informing the registered keeper of the car that they were investigating a case against them.

The thing for me is I'm not all that greedy. If the person responsible pays the cost of having my wheel built (£35) and gets a driving ban for driving off, I'll actually be satisfied with that - so long as this is the first time they've been involved in an incident of this nature, of course.

Top Bottom