Beckton (London) Hit & Run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

CX02 JXJ shows as a Toyota Corolla T2 Vvti

00150457_0065_800_00996337_150457_1.jpg

This is going to sound stupid, but is the photo of the same car or another of the same model? I have to ask because the one in the photo doesn't have the blacked-out windows of the one involved in the collision.

Oh I've actually succeeded in making the wheel a little better today - once I realised that I was turning the spoke nipples the wrong way and actually corrected myself. Still might take it to a professional to finish off, or may complete the correction myself - I haven't decided yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20519

This is going to sound stupid, but is the photo of the same car or another of the same model? I have to ask because the one in the photo doesn't have the blacked-out windows of the one involved in the collision.

Oh I've actually succeeded in making the wheel a little better today - once I realised that I was turning the spoke nipples the wrong way and actually corrected myself. Still might take it to a professional to finish off, or may complete the correction myself - I haven't decided yet.

This is just a photo of the same model

classic33

Leg End Member
@Whiskey88. Did you contact the DVLA & get the ball rolling with regards the vehicle owner/keeper details? And have you been to the MIB site for the two forms?

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

Not yet, but I'm off all day tomorrow too, so I'll be trying to fit both of those things in, along with having the bike checked by a pro - I was expecting a Dr Bike service on campus today, but I must have got my dates wrong.

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

Update: Took the bike to Harry Perry Cycles in Woolwich today. Unfortunately, the rim is shot. 53 years of use and it's ruined in a second by someone who couldn't be bothered to wait to let a cyclist past...

The good news, though, is the person I spoke to (Paul) is keen on fixing up old bikes. His eyes lit up as soon as he saw my bike and how original it still is. He's offered to find an old 27 x 1 1/4" rim, new spokes and build it around my current, original Sturmey Archer Dyno-hub for effectively just the cost of labour! He's made the bike sort-of ridable again - there's still a bend in the wheel that can't be fixed by playing with spokes alone and I have to be careful not to go too fast, but it can be ridden.

I'm still awaiting as little as a receipt or acknowledgement from the police, but at least I can now keep rolling. I'm back at the doctor's tonight, where as well as discussing the issue I'm actually going for, I'll try to get a second opinion about any damage from the collision. I believe what the first doctor said, but it adds weight if 2 separate doctors concur about any injuries.

@classic33 - Let the DVLA hounding commence!

siadwell

Guru

Toyotas tend to have a model hierarchy starting at T2, then T3 then T Spirit or T Sport, so this is a base spec model. The darkened windows could have been an option but are probably after-market.

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

So I've been in touch with the solicitors recommended by LCC - they're going to look into whether the driver has insurance and get back to me later today to find out whether we can claim directly from the insurers or against the MIB instead. My bike is currently in the shop having a new wheel built, but will hopefully be back with me on Wednesday.

@siadwell - given the darkness of the tinted windows, I very much doubt any car dealership/manufacturer would add them as an option. I'm 100% that they were illegally dark.

michaelcycle

So I've been in touch with the solicitors recommended by LCC - they're going to look into whether the driver has insurance and get back to me later today to find out whether we can claim directly from the insurers or against the MIB instead. My bike is currently in the shop having a new wheel built, but will hopefully be back with me on Wednesday.

The solicitors will do a MID search to identify if there is any insurance in place. If so they can direct your claim to the correct insurers or if not will send notification of the claim to the MIB. You've reported it to the Police in good time so your position is good.

Keep receipts of any expenditure you have to pay as a direct result of the accident and if your injuries warrant it keep a pain diary.

Should be simple enough unless the policyholder denies involvement (but you have a witness I see so that's good). Which solicitors are you using? Levenes?

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

Yeah it's Levenes, I spoke to Michael this morning.

The pain is weird - it can affect me quite badly when I'm walking anything more than a few hundred metres, but I can cycle all day long without issue. I don't know whether this is psychosomatic or mechanical.

I am wondering whether I can claim for the extra cost of using TfL transport. Normally, I cycle everywhere all the time - even going into and beyond the centre of London. However, with the bike at the shop, that becomes nearly impossible (I've even resorted to hiring a Boris Bike twice - a very odd experience) so I've been using the DLR a lot more, even just for nipping to the shops as walking there, although not overly far, is quite painful.

michaelcycle

I am wondering whether I can claim for the extra cost of using TfL transport.

Yes, you can. The law essentially puts you back in the position you would have been had the accident not occurred. So for example you wouldn't have incurred additional travel costs if it had not been for the accident.

Keep receipts and a record of what you spend. The other side may argue that you would have incurred costs in the same period of time for the upkeep of your bike but if the amount you are claiming for doesn't appear excessive they may not contest it and simply agree the amount.

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

Had my call returned by the solicitors. They've looked into the car and the report for the insurance as "inconclusive". They've advised me to go for a claim through the MIB for injury, but also told me that the MIB won't cover damage to the bike (I may have misunderstood, but that's what they seemed to be saying). I've also been told it would be best if I did this myself as it would not be cost-efficient for me to hire them to act on my behalf.

michaelcycle

If the driver cannot be traced and no insurer can be identified from the MID search then you will need to go through the MIB Untraced Scheme. Only very limited solicitors' costs are payable so doing it yourself is the way forwards:

http://www.mib.org.uk/Customer Services/en/Accidents in the UK/Untraced Drivers Agreement/Untraced Agreement.htm

Property damage is recoverable but there is an excess of £300 and given the minimal damage to your bike then you won't recover anything for this.

The MIB will investigate and arrange a medical examination for you themselves under the scheme. If they identify the driver and an insurance company they will force the insurers to deal with it. If not they will make you an offer based on your medical evidence.

Speak to the Police again though (and if you haven't reported the accident then do so straight away.) A miracle may have occurred and the driver may have reported the accident...

michaelcycle

Some people do give the impression that lawyers employed by the CTC et al. will take on any claim no matter how small, but this is not true. Any injury/damage claim that is likely to amount to less than at least £1000 is not worth their while, and you will be advised to do it yourself through the small claims court. But if you get a judgement against the driver in the small claims court, then the driver's insurance company (assuming they were insured) is obliged to pay up - that was news to me.

This is all true as well (but presuming the insurance company cannot validly withdraw indemnity from their policyholder which is an unusual scenario.)

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

Well I just noticed that the MIB website doesn't do what it says. Useful. Is it better to put a claim through them now, or wait until the police potentially collar the person responsible and it (hopefully) goes to a criminal court hearing?

Top Bottom