Beckton (London) Hit & Run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What I don't understand is if you hit his offside rear, why didn't you brake & avoid hitting him?

Alan...

What I don't understand is why you presume he wasn't already braking, which prevented him from choosing with the front offside but couldn't prevent the collision!

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

@Phaeton -you've made a subconscious assumption - that we were travelling at the same speed. I had slowed down in order to make my right turn around the mini-roundabout, the driver had sped up in order to get in front of me as he was going straight on. This is how we ended up colliding in the relative positions that we ended up in.

@classic33 - thank you for that extremely informative and useful post. I will be carrying out your recommendations.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but there was actually a bit of an "insult to injury" later in the day - the TfL "Central London Cycling Guide" I had ordered was waiting in the letter box when I returned to the flat...

classic33

Leg End Member
@Whiskey88, I have only told you to do what I had too do. I've made one assumption & that is that you haven't already started doing what I said.
One thing missed is keep, a call log. Who phoned who, names & numbers where given, times & dates & what was said. I found that piece made it very easy for me to say that something had been said or done at a later date, whilst at the same time proving I wasn't reliying on memory alone. It makes it harder for the other side as well.

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

Well I have already started jotting a few things down, but thankfully I should be able to get the bike repaired for free. I do also know what I'm doing and, subject to the spokes not being seized, could fix the damage myself - but I would definitely prefer to have it seen by an independent professional in case this does go to court.

I do have a question that someone may be able to answer - @CopperCyclist may be the best candidate out of people to comment so far - I have the contact number for the witness and would like to send a message to say thank you for stopping and helping, would this cause an issue with any later court action?

Oh and @classic33 - no cager, no matter how sh*t they are, no matter how aggressive they are and no matter how many times they SMIDGAF me will ever put me off cycling. All this imbicile has done is succeeded in making me an even stronger opponent of the pro-car lobbyists.

Last edited:
Well I have already started jotting a few things down, but thankfully I should be able to get the bike repaired for free. I do also know what I'm doing and, subject to the spokes not being seized, could fix the damage myself - but I would definitely prefer to have it seen by an independent professional in case this does go to court.

I do have a question that someone may be able to answer - @CopperCyclist may be the best candidate out of people to comment so far - I have the contact number for the witness and would like to send a message to say thank you for stopping and helping, would this cause an issue with any later court action?

Oh and @classic33 - no cager, no matter how sh*t they are, no matter how aggressive they are and no matter how many times they SMIDGAF me will ever put me off cycling. All this imbicile has done is succeeded in making me an even stronger opponent of the pro-car lobbyists.

Sending them a thank you for stopping not an issue.

Don't make any mention of what you believe happened though as that could be seen as trying to put words into their mouth and tainting their evidence. For example, "thank you very much for helping the other day" is better than "thank you very much for helping me when that silver Toyota didn't give way and hit me". Obviously, gifts and thank you presents are a no no as well!

D

Deleted member 26715

@CopperCyclist, were you there at the time of the incident? if no then why did you feel the need to reply to a question about which you know nothing.

@whiskey I presumed nothing, I was simply asking the question which you will be asked in the future. I very much doubt this will end up in any form of prosecution, due to the fact that this is not a 'hit & run' in the usual sense, as the driver didn't hit you, you hit him. Now this part IS pure conjecture/presumption, when the driver stopped he got out, checked his car that you hadn't done too much damage, decided that he didn't want to pursue you via insurance or the law for the damage & then got in the car & drove off thinking these hooligans on bikes ought to be more careful.

Alan...

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

As I stated earlier, the driver did not exist his vehicle at all, nor open a window or door to check for damage. It's still a "hit and run" as the phrase is interchangable with "leaving the scene of an accident", which the police have already confirmed to me over the phone constitutes an offence. On top of that, we then have his failing to give way, which could potentially be classed as careless driving.

There is a CCTV camera nearby and hopefully this was pointing to the scene of the collision, which will demonstrate the driver's absolute fault if it was doing so. He probably did think the last part of your statement, but ultimately he's the one with damage from a previous collision on his car and I'm the one who was collision-free for over 24 years. Go figure.

@CopperCyclist - thank you for your advice, I shall bear it in mind if I do go ahead and make contact.

D

Deleted member 20519

CX02 JXJ shows as a Toyota Corolla T2 Vvti

00150457_0065_800_00996337_150457_1.jpg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
@CopperCyclist, were you there at the time of the incident? if no then why did you feel the need to reply to a question about which you know nothing.

@whiskey I presumed nothing, I was simply asking the question which you will be asked in the future. I very much doubt this will end up in any form of prosecution, due to the fact that this is not a 'hit & run' in the usual sense, as the driver didn't hit you, you hit him. Now this part IS pure conjecture/presumption, when the driver stopped he got out, checked his car that you hadn't done too much damage, decided that he didn't want to pursue you via insurance or the law for the damage & then got in the car & drove off thinking these hooligans on bikes ought to be more careful.

Alan...

So the driver caused a collision by not giving way when it was his obligation to do so, and you blame the cyclist?
Classy.

D

Deleted member 26715

Because contrary to what you say, your question did come across as an accusation / assumption. I felt it could have been much better worded as, for example "Could you have braked?"
I do apologise for my ignorance & my short comings in my grasp of the English language, I never had the opportunity to go to either Grammar school or University, just a lowly Comprehensive, which clearly wasn't up to much in your eyes.

Alan...

classic33

Leg End Member
How about not turning this into a slanging match. Someone had a rant about being involved in an RTC, comes on here & asks what he can do now given the circumstances & we have people having a go at each other to prove who knows best. WHY?

Top Bottom