Bed time books for a three year old.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugo15

Über Member
My daughter and I like the following books

Kipper books
Mog books
The tiger who came to tea
Aliens love underpants
Room on a broom

Tetedelacourse

Our 3 year old loves anything Disney sadly. You can get books of the films - of course you can, it's Disney!

Another Gruffalo (and Gruffalo's child) fan here too and another one by same author is Charlie Cook's Favourite Book.

She also likes Beatrix Potter too, but there are some quite non-PC elements to those books nowadays!

But, we get sick of reading the same ones over and over that we use the local library a fair bit. If you get the little one a card, you can get 10 out at a time and there's no fee for late return, and they have a huge choice. I guess that's how libraries work really! Totally free service, and a free trip out too. But probably not a great Christmas present right enough...

Willow

Tharg2007 said:
some classics like the snowman, night before christmas, cat in the hat and any dr. seuss books, where the wild things are.

where the wild things forgotten that one:biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Anything by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler:
Gruffalo
Room On The Broom
A Squash And A Squeeze (a particular favourite of my daughter when she was 3)
The Smartest Giant In Town

Anything by Dr Seuss

Mick Inkpen books:
Kipper
Bear

and don't forget the old classic fairytales which always go down well with little kids:
The Three Billygoats Gruff
The Three Little Pigs
The Gingerbread Man
etc etc

Tetedelacourse

Oh yeah classic fairy tales too. Trouble with those though is that depending on what book you have and from which era, there's a whole range of different endings, which confuses them, understandably! I mean, having been refused entry to the 3 little pigs house, did the wolf:

a) get a burnt bottom
:laugh: take off like a rocket never to be seen again
c) die in the flames
d) befriend the little pigs and play badminton with them?

Option D there doesn't apply to any of our versions of the 3 little pigs but I kid you not, it's one of the endings we have for Goldilocks and the 3 bears!!!!!!

Noodley

Tetedelacourse said:
d) befriend the little pigs and play badminton with them?

...it's one of the endings we have for Goldilocks and the 3 bears!!!!!!

I can't remember any little pigs in Goldilocks. That is confusing! :laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hugo15 said:

Kipper books
Mog books
Aliens love underpants
Room on a broom
All crackers...but perhaps a bit old for 3? I'm afraid I really can't remember what works when. But if Kipper works for yours, the Percy the park keeper books are all great.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hugo15 said:
Kipper books

Great books - they loved Daddy's beer being drunk!

swee said:
That was a great book and together with Owl babies they were very good for my last child who had to have some speech therapy, as there is a lot of repetition which they can then join in with to encourage them to speak.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
She also likes Beatrix Potter too, but there are some quite non-PC elements to those books nowadays!

Eh? In what way? Ok, they have an old fashioned charm, and there are elements of realism, like Peter's father being put in a pie, but 'un-PC'?, I really can't think how you think that. Even the Two Bad Mice are redeemed in the end. And I don't know the story of Pigling Bland as well as the others. but I don't think the black Berkshire turns out to be a drug dealer or anything.

The 3 year old daughter of a friend of mine likes the Hairy Maclary books - I read several to her last week and quite enjoyed them myself. They have just the right level of stretching in the vocab, and a nice rhythm and rhyme to them...

http://www.mallinsonrendel.co.nz/hairybooks.asp

Arch

Married to Night Train
[quote name='swee'pea99']All crackers...but perhaps a bit old for 3? [/QUOTE]

I don't think so. Any book with pictures being read to a child is good. My nephew is 16 months, and although he has a shorter attention span than an older child, he'll listen to a few pages of the Gruffalo etc, look at the pictures, point out things he recognises (the moon being one of them), then choose another book to be looked at. Whether they actually follow the story, doesn't matter.

He also has "The Elephant and the Bad Baby" - lots of repetition, and he can join in when his dad does the action of the elephant stretching out his trunk to pick things up. Although, with less flexibility in his arms, Oliver's action looks a bit more like a nazi salute....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elephant-Baby-Puffin-Picture-Books/dp/0140500480

ChrisKH

Guru
What everyone else said. Charlie and Lola books are good as well. Very strong female lead. Mog and Thomas the Tank mini books were very popular in our house. Until someone was sick all over them. :rofl:

We revert to festive ones about this time of year. Mog and the Xmas Tree (even tho' they're 5 & 8) and a cartoony one with a grumpy Father Christmas in it:-

"A Happy Bloomin' Xmas to you as well". :bravo:

The stories they love most though are the ones you tell them about when you were a boy. The never get tired of those. :biggrin:

Top Bottom