Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire Social Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
I have a fairly good knowlege of our area going out towards Clophill,Barton Le Clay,etc which has some nice roads so theres another option for us :bicycle:

outlash

also available in orange
lol! I couldn't lead a dog let alone a peleton!

TBH I haven't found any real problems with the roads round here. The road that is Route 51 at the River Kym near Hail Weston is frequently closed (it's a ford) but there is a footbridge so it's no biggie, pretty muddy though. And the road around Gamlingay Cinques is a pretty steep dip and climb, that can catch you unawares if your legs are suffering.

If you fancy heading a bit further North up to Grafham Water, there's a cafe and branch of Rutland Cycling :smile:.

Tony.

Chris-H

Über Member
lol! I couldn't lead a dog let alone a peleton!

TBH I haven't found any real problems with the roads round here. The road that is Route 51 at the River Kym near Hail Weston is frequently closed (it's a ford) but there is a footbridge so it's no biggie, pretty muddy though. And the road around Gamlingay Cinques is a pretty steep dip and climb, that can catch you unawares if your legs are suffering.

If you fancy heading a bit further North up to Grafham Water, there's a cafe and branch of Rutland Cycling :smile:

Tony.
I delivered to Grafham water the other day and while i was there had a sneaky look round Rutland cycling,theres a nice Trek mtb that took my fancy..................just dont tell the mrs :whistle:

I know a route around Bedford where we used to stop at Marston Moretaine and also if more cake was needed [it always was :rolleyes: ] at Thurleigh farm centre, Biggleswade is a good start point for that one, not sure how far as I used to lead it from Cambridge but I would guess somewhere between 50 - 60 miles and no real hills I can remember :smile:.

Chris-H

Über Member
I know a route around Bedford where we used to stop at Marston Moretaine and also if more cake was needed [it always was :rolleyes: ] at Thurleigh farm centre, Biggleswade is a good start point for that one, not sure how far as I used to lead it from Cambridge but I would guess somewhere between 50 - 60 miles and no real hills I can remember :smile:.
That certainly sounds like it needs doing then:thumbsup:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Yep working in Bedford. It's a nice ride. Bit hairy in the dark by the river but nice and peaceful. Has anyone cycled to MK on route 51? A group of 10 of us tried last September, got to Woburn Sands and then got lost. Was a nice ride through some interesting towns an villages. Next challenge? :smile:
I've done MK>Bedford a few times, the NCR51 route isnt bad but its not direct and some parts of it are silly detours, particularly going through the gated back alleys in Kempston and the detour around MarstonMoretaine probably isnt much good for a road bike, staying on the road all the way is quite a bit shorter. The old A421 (parallel to the new A421) is a quite good alternative and it's quiet at weekends as everyone uses the new road, but its a nightmare in rush hour, lots of motorway traffic, big lorries which are terrifying :smile:

You can join the redways in Woburn Sands, at the level crossing and follow them into MK, or ride the other way through Bow Brickhill, but the road's very very fast so i tend to ride the 2 miles of path by the side if i go that way :whistle:

akb

Veteran
I've done MK>Bedford a few times, the NCR51 route isnt bad but its not direct and some parts of it are silly detours, particularly going through the gated back alleys in Kempston and the detour around MarstonMoretaine probably isnt much good for a road bike, staying on the road all the way is quite a bit shorter. The old A421 (parallel to the new A421) is a quite good alternative and it's quiet at weekends as everyone uses the new road, but its a nightmare in rush hour, lots of motorway traffic, big lorries which are terrifying :smile:

You can join the redways in Woburn Sands, at the level crossing and follow them into MK, or ride the other way through Bow Brickhill, but the road's very very fast so i tend to ride the 2 miles of path by the side if i go that way :whistle:

Totally agree about the detours! Luckily we were all on hybrid or MTb so wasn't too bad. We got lost in Woburn Sands, where we lost the signs. Didn't do too bad considering there was no route planning at all. Would e nice to do it again.

Chris-H

Über Member
Totally agree about the detours! Luckily we were all on hybrid or MTb so wasn't too bad. We got lost in Woburn Sands, where we lost the signs. Didn't do too bad considering there was no route planning at all. Would e nice to do it again.
I'd certainly be up for joining in on this ride too :thumbsup:

Reactions: akb
OP
OP
Marshmallow_Fluff
Just to let you know.. we are going to freeze our bums on Sunday! The weather forecast is giving 2°C for 10:00 in the morning! :cold: I'm sure it will be fine once I figure out how to make my electic blanket to function while cycling! :bravo:

I'm guessing the ride is now only about 25 miles if the start is Sandy? Is it possible to tag a bit more on?
As a suggestion [and feel free to slap me down], how about going left at the bottom of Croydon Hill then first right to Wendy [I'm sure she wouldn't mind :smile: ] and at Guilden Morden either right to Wrestlingworth to join original route [now about 29 miles total] or left and right to Ashwell, Hinxworth, Dunton and up to Potton that way, some nice roads that way. Even then I think not much more than 35 miles or so [just guessing] which is what I think you had originally planned.

Chris-H

Über Member
I'm guessing the ride is now only about 25 miles if the start is Sandy? Is it possible to tag a bit more on?
As a suggestion [and feel free to slap me down], how about going left at the bottom of Croydon Hill then first right to Wendy [I'm sure she wouldn't mind :smile: ] and at Guilden Morden either right to Wrestlingworth to join original route [now about 29 miles total] or left and right to Ashwell, Hinxworth, Dunton and up to Potton that way, some nice roads that way. Even then I think not much more than 35 miles or so [just guessing] which is what I think you had originally planned.
Thats a very good point,had'nt given the mileage a thought since agreeing on meeting at Sandy,I'm up for adding a few more miles on and am a total newb on the roads overthat way so will just follow everyone else :thumbsup:
So, what's the plan? Sandy station at just-after 10 am?
What time are we likely to be finished by?
Yup still 10 at Sandy at 10,i would imagine after cake and tea stop we'll be done by 2 ish at a guess?

MisterStan

Label Required
Been a while since I've ridden round that way - I grew up in Sandy and used to bike to Bedford to visit my girlfriend of the time, used to do it on a Halfords MTB, no pump or spare tubes in those days, young love eh? My train will arrive either at 10:15 in Sandy.

Top Bottom