Been given the green light for a new bike, looking for some opinions/advice/comments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tid13

So I too bought the Arkose 3 in the end. I think the Norco Threshold I tried would probably be a bit better if I was spending more time seriously off road, but the Arkose just felt better for road riding I think, and the brakes are WAY better. I am 6'1" or 6'" and have inside leg of just over 90cm I think. I have long legs. Anyway, I'm on the XL size frame etc. I've really enjoyed cycling about on my Arkose 3, I've done 175 miles in the 5 weeks I've had it, mostly on the road, but also on tow paths with the kids. On the road it hasn't really slowed me down from my brother's out and out road bike I was riding, and it's super comfy on the fatter tyres compared to the 23s that the roadie was on! As I say most riding has been road and I haven't had a problem with tyres, maybe if I did more muddy stuff? I might find out soon! Mostly my riding has been in the dark after work, so I haven't been too embarrassed by the colourscheme, but I'll be honest, it doesn't grow on you, it is as hideous now as it was when I first saw it. Like the original poster, I thought the bar tape was atrocious, so had it changed straight away to Lizardskins as that is what my brother's bike had and that is nice and comfy. Apart from that no complaints. It's due in for its 6 week checkup to tweak a couple of things, but all is well at the moment and I don't have any second thoughts about maybe should have bought something else, which for me is good going!

alexdavidson007

Looking at the Arkose 3 and Threshold A1 as well.

How are you getting on with the Arkose? Has anyone had long-term experience with the Threshold? I'm new to serious biking, so not sure what to be looking out for.

I'll be using the bike mainly for commuting in London, so the gear ratios maybe something to separate these two models on (although I'd imagine this something fairly cheap/easy to switch out).

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
@alexdavidson007 Hello, really enjoying my Arkose 3. My massive plan for a 36-40 mile round trip daily commute has unfortunately failed due to some helath problems but I will be embarking on smaller daily commute next month when my son goes to work. My only negative was the bar tape which I changed and no doubt if were to buy an Arkose the salesman would change it to secure the sale.

I cannot help you with commuting in London as I only venture there on odd occasions without a bike. Like you however I was relatively new to "serious" biking having only used an old mountain bike for 12 months prior to buying the Arkose and prior to that I hadnt really ridden a bike for 15 years! I also have had spinal surgery so I was a l ittle hesitant regarding a drop bar bike but I have found the Arkose to be comfortable on single non stop journeys up to 20 miles. I havent done anything longer but that is down to me not the bike.

If there is anything specific you would like to know just ask.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

worryingly I've just received an email from Evans recalling Arkose bikes purchased late 2014. The reason is the rear mech hanger. Email states the hanger should be replaced and the bike not ridden until it's done. The concern is rear wheel slip.

And I've got to cycle home this evening.

@alexdavidson007

I have the 2014 A2. Its a great bike to ride, very smooth and looks lovely too.

The only annoyance I have is that the outer cables rattle in the frame but when riding in town you can't hear it over the sound of traffic.

Mine is for sale too as my heart lies with Giant. I just like the brand too much, keep coming back to it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
worryingly I've just received an email from Evans recalling Arkose bikes purchased late 2014. The reason is the rear mech hanger. Email states the hanger should be replaced and the bike not ridden until it's done. The concern is rear wheel slip.

And I've got to cycle home this evening.

I got that email. I'm not worrying about it. My bike (Pinnacle) has done nearly 13'000 miles in 18 months in all weathers including climbing and descended mountains in France.
If the wheel would have slipped at anytime I would have sure noticed it. It never has done.

Evan's are just being very ultra cautious.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

I got that email. I'm not worrying about it. My bike (Pinnacle) has done nearly 13'000 miles in 18 months in all weathers including climbing and descended mountains in France.
If the wheel would have slipped at anytime I would have sure noticed it. It never has done.

Evan's are just being very ultra cautious.

Agreed. Whilst I have not done as many miles as you I have done enough that the issue really should have showed it's face by now. I got the email about 16:45 and only had about an hour to make a decision and for the reasons stated I got a lift home. Lift into work tomorrow but I think I might cycle home tomorrow.

Top Bottom