Been off my bike for two months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
in December I fell down the stairs and fractured my ankle and had three torn ligaments. Been off my bike for 2 months for the first time in 3 years!! I went out this evening for a small 9 miles. And my ankle is good, hasn't swollen up and I didn't push myself.

My question is, should I just do smaller rides for a few weeks or just carry on with my 30 milers I was doing before my accident.

I nearly cried when I went out, I had missed it that much! But I don't want to sprain my ankle as it's so much better, but not 100% yet.

Dawn x

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Lots of small rides. Build strength.

13 rider

Guru
Take note what your Doc/ physio say . Slow and steady would be my approach but listen to your body and don't push it
Glad your back in the saddle

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get on the bike and keep going.. Bit here and there,

Got a bit busted up in November 2015. Broken spine, 2 fractured vertebrae and 4 ribs. Follow docs orders, once bones healed ride, or ride on a turbo trainer...

Docs aren't always right.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS my break did nearly change my life, I was lucky, just.... I was mm from being paralysed

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done!
I would say listen to your body: if you get sore it's time to stop for a bit.

Hi
Broke my shoulder mid Oct. not been on the bike on the road since then, but have lately been doing spin classes, Wattbike sessions, and turbo. I was going out today, but bad stiffness in legs. It's been so cold out much of the time. I think build it up. You can feel how much you can take.
Body doesn't always respond how we expect.

Most cycling does not aggravate sore ankles, I once cycled a moderately tough hill with a twisted ankle, walking was tough but cycling ok.

See how you feel

RegG

Über Member
As others have said, take it steady, build up the distance gradually and take advice from the doctors/physios etc. And be more careful on stairs! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Thanks guys, I'll do smaller rides but more often. It's just nice to be able to cycle again. I didn't think I'd miss it as much. It's possibly done me good, as I was getting a bit bored of it and was forcing myself out. But now I've got the biking bug back.

Top Bottom