Been out of action - not for the squeamish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
I was cycling to work a couple of week's ago. It was dark, but I had a decent set of lights on. However there were a couple of road signs in the cycle lane that must have been blown over by the wind. When they are face down the sides and legs are just grey and blend in with the rest of the road.

I managed to bunny hop the first a little and get over it with just a bit of a wobble, but then went bang, straight into a second one that I hit full on. The last thing I remember was tipping forward over the handle bars. I must have given my head a real crack, as the next thing I realised was coming to and scrambling for the side of the road.

A trip to A&E to get checked out, left me off work for 4 days with concussion and a nasty bit of road rash down my left hand side.

I'm not one for getting involved in the helmet vs non-helmet brigade, but I genuinely think things would have been a lot worse if I'd not worn one!

Here are a couple of photos for you gore lovers. You can see the road signs quite easily in the daylight, but I can assure you they weren't so visible in the dark.

Attachments

• Back of head.jpg
    Back of head.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 154
  • Face.jpg
    Face.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 152
  • Fallen Roadsign 1 - Daylight.jpg
    Fallen Roadsign 1 - Daylight.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Fallen Roadsign 2 - Daylight.jpg
    Fallen Roadsign 2 - Daylight.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Fallen Roadsign - Daylight.jpg
    Fallen Roadsign - Daylight.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Roadrash.jpg
    Roadrash.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Roadrash - Knee.jpg
    Roadrash - Knee.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Roadrash - Shoulder.jpg
    Roadrash - Shoulder.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Side of head.jpg
    Side of head.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 139

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Oh shoot ouch nasty .................... hope you are ok GWS

potsy

Rambler
Ouch, wondered where you'd been Steve, sounds nasty.
It has improved your looks a bit though, see there's always a silver lining :hugs:

Edge705

Ouch Steve that must have been a nasty one get well soon friend.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Ouch indeed - hope you feel better soon. From the injuries it looks like a good job you had a helmet on.

Those temporary road signs are a menace, after reading this, I for one will be more vigilant looking out for them & more prepared to stop to move them out of the way for other cyclists/road users.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Close shave and glad your OK, now find the owners of the signs and get some decent legal advice. Most probably they belong to a Utility company (usually says on the back of the sign) I know I work for one of the big six - they are responsible regardless of how the sign blew over.

Top Bottom