Been waiting since half past six for police visit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
After a month since i was knocked off my bike the police finally contacted me last night. They said they'd come round to the house between 6.30 pm and 7.pm. Here i am still waiting,but no one's arrived! Why phone up to arrange a time for a visit then don't bother to turn up?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Maybe the officer who was coming to visit you has had something else crop up, oh I dunno, maybe like having to arrest someone or other frontline police type jobs they end up doing to keep us relatively safe.

MarkF

Guru
Wait till they start with the follow up calls, forms and flyers, you'll wish you'd never reported it. (Which might be the point)

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
A quick call to say they aren't coming doesn't take long.
It's not exactly the same as being a plumber is it? The officer involved may not be able to make a quick call due to other sh!t happening. The probability is that the officer is late because they are involved in something that requires their full attention and making a "quick phone call" could be problematic.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
It's not exactly the same as being a plumber is it? The officer involved may not be able to make a quick call due to other sh!t happening. The probability is that the officer is late because they are involved in something that requires their full attention and making a "quick phone call" could be problematic.

If you make an appointment it is up to you to keep it or cancel, no ifs, no buts.

screenman

Legendary Member
That is disgusting service. Out of interest, what percentage of our police force front line.

discominer

Police insisted on visiting my work to interview colleague. She waited, long after midnight. They didn't show, she rang- they said- we'll come tomorrow at 12:30. 1pm, no show. Phoned them, they said come to the station. She did. Officer couldn't take statment because he couldn't 'find the pad'. Fills me with confidence- similar happened to me when I tried to report a mental undertake at a pinch point.

DanZac

Having had a similar run around when I got knocked off by a drive a couple of weeks ago and then witnessed first hand the ridicules amount of paperwork they had to fill in (the form for a traffic accident alone was like a book) and then hand write the statement it's no surprise they haven't got the time to get out catching baddies.
Still no excuse for not letting you know what's going on though.

vickster

Legendary Member
Did they not take a statement from you at the scene? I never had a visit, just a statement form to complete after a couple of weeks, with a few further details later to update on the medical treatment. There was no prosecution in my case

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I know it's annoying, I've experienced it myself, but policing isn't a job that can be held to a strict appointment system. They're understaffed and have all sorts of shoot to deal with, often of a dangerous and immediate nature. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

(And when they do come, it's not a bad idea to offer a cuppa and a biscuit.)

GC

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I've waited outside an unmanned police station at 8.30pm in winter for an hour before the plod in question turned up, I had to make a call on the station phone on the wall. He made the appointment with me.

I guess those doughnuts don't eat themselves!

DanZac

I couldn't even get them to come to the scene, told by the 999 and 101 operators that they would only come to the scene if I needed an ambulance and as I was A) only walking wounded and B) knocked off about 100m from A&E, getting an ambulance seemed a bit of a waste of a valuable asset. Was told to go to A&E and the police would see me there, whilst at A&E had a phone call from police to say they were to busy and I would have to go to the police station during working hours to make a statement.
Unfortunately it would appear that if you want Lincolnshire police to attend you either need to be injured enough to need an ambulance or as I would seriously consider doing next time, mention that you think the driver may have been drinking (suspect that would get a different response).

Top Bottom