Been waiting since half past six for police visit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Happened to me a few weeks ago. The officer arranged to come at 8pm to take some elimination fingerprints off me. He didn't make it. Turns out there was a serious incident he had to attend. A bit annoying, but no big deal if you're capable of seeing the bigger picture.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Tell you what, next time you get mugged, make sure you tell the officer responding to check that they don't need to make any phone calls first, before they start chasing your attacker. Nobber.

The police have to come into the real world, the public is their customer and if a promise is made to a customer it should be kept and the customer should be kept informed.

As to being mugged, the only time I've seen police on the streets was in a nearby town when there was a football match. How would I contact them anyway, if I'd been mugged and my phone stolen?

I know it's annoying, I've experienced it myself, but policing isn't a job that can be held to a strict appointment system. They're understaffed and have all sorts of shoot to deal with, often of a dangerous and immediate nature. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Lots of people are understaffed but it is still the responsibility of those making an appointment to say if they can't make it. If you cannot keep appointments, don't make them.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Police constable neighbour tells me that on a typical night there are only three PCs on duty in the whole of the Ribble Valley borough. They can call for all kinds of backup but that takes time to arrive.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've been waiting for 6 months for a reply to an email I sent about an incident, I'm sure the traffic officer I sent it to will get back to me soon.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Only since the formation of Police Scotland in 2013 when the local Scottish forces were merged.

Having family in the job over several decades (going back to the Lanarkshire Constabulary days) I can say that the cops themselves referred to it as a police service and it was, and still is, so described at all levels of police training courses from induction onwards.

GC

snorri

Legendary Member
Having family in the job over several decades (going back to the Lanarkshire Constabulary days) I can say that the cops themselves referred to it as a police service and it was, and still is, so described at all levels of police training courses from induction onwards.

GC
Perhaps different terms used within and outwith the job, but certainly always referred to as a force rather than a service by the customers in my neck of the woods, also in the Oxford Dictionary, .4 [count noun] An organized body of military personnel or police:
Not to worry:smile:.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
How sure are you. ? :unsure:
Well, to be honest, not so much :sad:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Perhaps different terms used within and outwith the job, but certainly always referred to as a force rather than a service by the customers in my neck of the woods, also in the Oxford Dictionary, .4 [count noun] An organized body of military personnel or police:
Not to worry:smile:.

I agree both terms are used. My point is that it's been referred to as a service (particularly by those performing it) for many years before the amalgamation of all the regions. The Met and the PSNI still use it in their official designations.

Call me old-fashioned but I liked it when they were known as constabularies!

GC

Top Bottom