England : Kent Beer and Beach Huts Ride or Weekender July 9th/10th 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
aaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup. Quite.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Anyhow, we ate post-ride at the Hop and Huffkin. I asked the lass serving what a huffkin was. Mrs Hertz popped up with the explanation, and I gather it involves getting upset and sticking your thumb into the bread before it's cooked. As today's ride wasn't @hopless500 because hops was there, we were huffkinless. Thing is, nobody dares tell hubkins he's now huffkins.

(For some reason, the normal @ plus CC name thing doesn't appear to be working normally tonight.)

Thanks @Hill Wimp for getting a very enjoyable ride together and good to meet you after failing to get a meet up organised while you were still in West Malling. For the record, I'm now drinking Duque.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I slept rather well last night and ican hear snoring from the other side of the house so we didn't kill off @hopless500 thankfully. I have discovered i managed to catch the sun quite well too.

I am now thinking of new routes for next year along the coast and i very much like the idea of a coastal route @User10571 has in mind starting in Rye.

So many ideas, so little time.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I slept rather well last night and ican hear snoring from the other side of the house so we didn't kill off @hopless500 thankfully. I have discovered i managed to catch the sun quite well too.

I am now thinking of new routes for next year along the coast and i very much like the idea of a coastal route @User10571 has in mind starting in Rye.

So many ideas, so little time.

My paternal grandmother and her 13 brothers and sisters' surname was/is Rye and were all born in Rye.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

You need to come down for that one then as you own the town by the sounds of it.;)

U

User10571

Does anyone have a GPS track of yesterday's ride that they're happy to share?
Everything after Preston (where we stopped so that I could take on water) was uncharted territory for me.
Looking at OS maps (call me old fashioned) I'm guessing we went through Ash, Woodnesborough, Eastry. Skirting just north of Bettshanger, Northbourne, Great Mongeham and into Deal via Mill Hill???
It'd be nice to know.
TIA
Today, my arms are mostly lobster in colour :sad:

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

I don't I am afraid however we went through Preston exiting Nash Road across the A257 into Pedding Hill.

Right into New St and along Marshborough Rd.
Across onto Fox borough Hill and left into Statenborough Lane/Sandwich Road to the A256.
Across into Felderland Lane.
Right onto the Deal Road.
Right into Hay Lane
Right into Up down Road
Left into West St
Left into Finglesham Road and into The Street.
Left into Broad Lane
Right into Bridge Hill and onto the cycle path along Sandwich Road past Fowlmead cycle park. *******
Drop onto the main London Road and over the mini r/a into Manor Road.
Left into Mill Road
Right into Hamilton Road continuing into Cornwall Road to the j/w A258.
Straight over into Archery Square then over into Clarence Road.
Right onto Kingsdown Road and left after 100yds onto the short footpath that leads to the cycle path.
From here go as far along as possible on the path then the road and turn left into Godwin Road to the end and turn right.
Keep going and you hit the golf courses and the road through Sandwich Bay into Sandwich.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

@User10571
At the point in my last post that I marked with **** there is a quicker way to the Ancient Highway through the golf courses without going along the seafront. I just took you all that way as it was more scenic.

As you pass the cycle park eventually there are new houses on the left hand side and we used the pedx to cross onto the main road.

Once you get onto the main road take the almost immediate first left into Sholden New Road and travel down the hill. At the bottom just past the apex on the bend is Marsh Lane. It's not marked and is a lane between two houses that splits after 50yrds. The right side becomes a shared cycle and foot path. Follow this to the end and turn right.
This takes you past a small industrial area and then left into Southwall Road.
Turn left into Middle Deal Road then left into Albert Road and over the train crossing.
Stay on this road and it leads you all the way to Sandwich.

Top Bottom