Beer and th joys thereof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
There's a thead running re weight loss on the Health and Efficiency ( or whatever) forum where 6 or 7 pints a week as "moderate" is questioned Nonwithstanding weight loss I'd be interested to hear what you all think is moderate. Personally, where I was dragged up (East London in the 50's ) 6 or 7 pints was a night out for a working man on a Friday .....Its not too different here in Liverpool in 2007 either. I couldnt manage that any more but a couple of beers 2 or 3 times a week is OK aint it - please say yes or I may have to seek counselling.;)

Brock

The point is if someone tells you it's not ok, do you really care?

Hmmm! In the early 80s I was office-bound and had a pub lunch about three times a week (one hour, grub and four pints of Greene King IPA). Rugby training Tuesday and Thursday evenings was followed by about 4-5 beers, Friday night out 6-7, and after a game of rugby on Saturday, it could have been anything up to a dozen pints! :ohmy:xx(:biggrin:
Mind you, I was 110 kg then, office job, propping (up the scrum and bar ;)), but I managed to escape! :biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
I had my LGV renewal medical recently. The GP asked how many units a week I drank on average. I said 10-14 units a week. He then commented that I was therefore a heavy drinker. I was a tad surprised as I do not regard myself as a heavy drinker. Thankfully, he let me reduce my 'score' for his official record to bring myself in line with being a moderate drunk. For the record a bottle of wine at 12% measures 9 units and a pint of beer 2-3 units.

TimO

Guru
It depends on what you mean by OK. Do you mean from the point of view of being an alcoholic, or from a health point of view?

I'd say that a pint a night is far from being an alcoholic, but it's a moderate amount of alcohol, and beer does have a fair number of calories, so if you're trying to loose weight it wouldn't be a good thing.

I seem to recall that by some measures, one unit of alcohol a night is actually mor healthy than no alcohol, so a sneaky half might be good for you. ;)

monnet

Guru
I also read that different countries measure these things in different ways. So here 3 drinks or around 7/8 units is regarded as binge drinking. In the Basque Country (Spanish side, but not Spain in general) binge drinking is classed as over 12 units.

This is taken further when you consider that the amount of alcohol that constitutes a unit varies according country. British units are, predictably, the smallest and, curiously, the Japanese are the highest.

I think the moral of what I'm trying to say is choose where you drink carefully.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
bobg said:
There's a thead running re weight loss on the Health and Efficiency ( or whatever)......
Isn't that a seventies hide it under the bed, sticky page, look at the "LAYDEES BITS" magazine ?
bobg said:
.....6 or 7 pints a week as "moderate" is questioned Nonwithstanding weight loss I'd be interested to hear what you all think is moderate. Personally, where I was dragged up (East London in the 50's ) 6 or 7 pints was a night out for a working man on a Friday .....
Bloody Hell ! Thats an aperitif !!

ChrisKH

Guru
When I started work in the City, five pints at lunchtime was not unusual especially on a Friday. Bosses were there too.

Now it's unusual if I exceed 1 unit a week. Which on your doctor's reckoning would make me an AA member.

Mind you, I'm doing about a gramme of coke over the weekend.;);)

I drink too much. I know that. 30 Units a week more or less. I just like drinking. Still, it is a lot less than when I was in my twenties.

A typical weekend went like this:

Friday Night: 8 pints
Sat Afternoon: 5 Pints
Sat Evening: 8 Pints
Sun Afternoon: 4 pints
Sun Evening: 4 Pints

Close on 50 units a weekend. Every weekend.

I would also go on the piss a couple of nights in the week. Drinking at lunchtime wasn't uncommon. Nobody seems to do that anymore do they?

To this day I don't know how I did it.

mosschops2

bobg said:
There's a thead running re weight loss on the Health and Efficiency ( or whatever) forum where 6 or 7 pints a week as "moderate" is questioned Nonwithstanding weight loss I'd be interested to hear what you all think is moderate. Personally, where I was dragged up (East London in the 50's ) 6 or 7 pints was a night out for a working man on a Friday .....Its not too different here in Liverpool in 2007 either. I couldnt manage that any more but a couple of beers 2 or 3 times a week is OK aint it - please say yes or I may have to seek counselling.;)

IMO 6-7 pints a week IS moderate - certainly I'd think way below average!

I drink less - 2-3 beers a week - but that's mainly because I'm up with young Master Mosschops from 1am - 2am most nights, and therefore need to be sober, don't feel like drinking, and am happy with that. In a couple of weeks, I may be back to my former normal level of drinking say 3 nights a week (ie at home with tea - not out on the lash), and having 1 or 2 bottles - say 5 per week. And going out might occur once a month, when I might have 5 or 6 beers!

But given that for many people 2 or 3 a night is not much, and 10 or 12 on a Friday and Saturday is normal, I'd definately agree that 6-7 per week is moderate.

At the same time however, if you (not you per se, rather "one") were looking to loose weight seriously, this would be a max, and you might want to consider 2 or 3 beers a week, or cutting it out altogether!!!

Top Bottom