Beer or lager?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brock

colly said:
Many moons ago when I was a yoof I would order a 'light and bitter'. (lived in sarff Lahndun)

The first time in a pub in Yorkshire I swear the pub almost went silent when I asked for it. The look the barman gave me you would have thought I had asked for a pint of Babycham.;)

I guess todays equivalent would be a blahger.

Maybe you should've had a black and tan, much more manly.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Brock said:
Real ale all the way, I have the silly beard, the stomach and the steel tourer.
A wonderful traditional British craft product with no end of variety and depth of flavours. Why anyone would drink the bland fizzy nonsense from those nasty superchilled froth belching lager pumps is beyond me.

+1

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Magners? Magners?? ;) The chicken nuggets of the cider world. Try some proper Herefordshire cider, like Lyne Down or Frome Valley.

+1

Or Dunkertons/Westons cider

The chicken nuggets analogy is brilliant !

theclaud

Openly Marxist
pubrunner said:
+1

Or Dunkertons/Westons cider

The chicken nuggets analogy is brilliant !

Their Black Fox is one of the best bottled ciders I've had. Although a particularly unusual and amazing one is the Longueville Gros Oeillet (which I believe you can buy in Sainsbury's). It tastes of tarte tatin, without the sweetness. Incredible.

davidg

Renard said:
I have recently rediscovered the joys of what we call 'heavy' up here (you might call it bitter). Tastes change and a pint of heavy does the job for me. What about you?

they call it "heevy" up there, not "heavy"!!

I am bilingual on bitter/lager. Cant beat either in different environments

pubrunner

Legendary Member
theclaud said:
Their Black Fox is one of the best bottled ciders I've had. Although a particularly unusual and amazing one is the Longueville Gros Oeillet (which I believe you can buy in Sainsbury's). It tastes of tarte tatin, without the sweetness. Incredible.

On your recommendation, I shall try a bottle of Longueville Gros Oeillet today - if sold by the nearest Sainsbury's.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
pubrunner said:
On your recommendation, I shall try a bottle of Longueville Gros Oeillet today - if sold by the nearest Sainsbury's.

Jolly good. Don't forget to report back!

Brock

I've never been much of a cider drinker but bike touring across Northern Spain saw me drinking loads. There wasn't any ale to be had but the amount of localised cider production was astonishing. I even learned to pour it the proper way, from a height into the glass to produce a slight sparkle. They do like their cider.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Nice to see this thread continuing early in the morning - beer is after all first and foremost a breakfast beverage...

Oh and if it's cider the Weston's Organic is very nice. We had some lovely local ciders on hols in Normandy in the summer too - lovey!

Globalti

Legendary Member
potsy said:
Me too gaz,nice bottle of Magners for me

Gawd! Are you serious? Magners is worse than lager, it's just fizzy apple jiuce with ethanol, colour and flavour and a very strong tasting preservative added. It's a chemical cocktail dreamed up for commercial profit by flavourists and ad execs. Complete shite. (I work in the industry)

I am mainly a cider drinker, Strongbow, Magners and even partial to pear cider.

However I do venture to the dark side now and again, Love Theakstons XB, Black Sheep and Ruddles county

Probably much more besides, but dont want it to look like I have a problem:blush:;)

Alan Whicker

colly said:
Many moons ago when I was a yoof I would order a 'light and bitter'. (lived in sarff Lahndun)

The first time in a pub in Yorkshire I swear the pub almost went silent when I asked for it. The look the barman gave me you would have thought I had asked for a pint of Babycham.;)

I guess todays equivalent would be a blahger.

My father-in-law - who couldn't be more of a Cockney if he wore gorblimey trousers hewn from the stones of the Tower - claims that light-and-bitter was popular in his own dad's youth in Bow/Shoreditch/Hackney because if anyone "started", you'd have a bottle handy as a weapon.

I used to drink L&B when we lived in Bethnal Green. Not because I felt I needed a weapon, but because it made the Courage Directors sold at our local actually drinkable.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My first drink of choice in a pub some 38 years ago was barley wine and mild and I could get rat-arsed on less than a quid. Mind you a quid went a bit further in those days.

Top Bottom