1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer prices

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by bobg, 20 Mar 2008.

1. bobg

bobg Über Member

Went for a ride in the rain this morning and very unusually (honest) dropped into my local for a swiftie. Pint of Theakstons up 16p to £2. 24. The landlord blamed the brewery who whacked a big chunk on top of the budget 4p ... just wondered how much a decent pint of proper beer was in your neck of the woods. I've not been south of the Watford Gap for ages so I expect I'm in for a ;)

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I work in the City of London, real ale prices tend to be extremely inflated. Although the tipple of choice at the moment tends to be a decent bottle of Cristal.

3. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

£2.80 in the Cleveland in Brighton for a pint of Harveys but I guess it'll go up soon after the budget rise.
    AFAIK if the duty goes up 5p then, with a 100% mark-up, the beer goes up by 10p

4. walker

walker New Member

Last week 2 drinks cost me £8, I never buy a single beer so don't know how much it costs

5. FatBloke

FatBloke Well-Known Member

We sell our strong real ales for £2.50, the weak piss Greene King IPA for £2.30.

We've just put 10p on a pint. Most pubs round here put 20p on. :biggrin:

This is in the South East mind! ;)

6. bianchi1

bianchi1 Veteran

£2 for a pint of any guest beer here in the malverns area, in a once CAMRA pub of the year. Would tell you which pub but its a secret!

7. I can't remember the last time I was charged less than £3 for a pint!!

8. Renard

Renard Guest

I bought a 6 pack of cristal cru today for the weekend. Cost me £13 but it was recommended to me. Its made with the same yeast they use in their champagne.

9. Brock

Brock Senior Member

2.20 for a pint of Ruddles in my local, not bad I suppose.
    1.70 for a pint of Master Brew in the United Services club though.. burRrRp!

10. Saddle bum

Saddle bum Über Member

When I started my apprenticeship, a pint of McMullens AK was one and ninepence., 9p today. :biggrin:

11. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Mostly pushing £2.80 or more a pint - the 'cheap' local is about £2.30 I think...been a while that I've been in the pub - had tea and a few beers in the 'cheap' one recently - they'd just dropped the beer prices.

12. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

£0.99 a pint for bottled beers in the very excellent Booths supermarkets up here in Lancashire. Otherwise a regular pint of Bowland Bitter or Copper Dragon Golden Pippin in a pub is between £2.00 and £2.20.

Joseph Holts bitter from Manchester is still only £1.28 a pint - it's strong and VERY bitter though. An acquired taste even by northern standards.

13. bobg

bobg Über Member

Apart from a couple od exceptions, I don't feel so hard done by now. Never heard of this Cristal stuff though - must get out more!

There's a lot of pubs in the centre of Liverpool that pre budget were still charging £1 a pint but most of the customers are sans teeth and the public bar smells a bit of pee. I've amused myself hugely by taking visiting southern work colleagues to same.:biggrin:

14. bobg

bobg Über Member

Note to self ...Mmm I'm in Manchester next week ...

15. simonali

simonali Über Member

We (southerners) all think Liverpool's a big shithole, so why strengthen that belief?!