Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Is that a tiny glass?
Just far away.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've been remiss.

A couple of nights ago Mrs W went to every middle-class couple's favourite emporium and came away with some microwave curry and some beer.

Oakham Citra - one I tend to avoid because it's trendy and hoppy. In fact it's OK, but nothing special. The hop is rather dull and the malt is lagery. Perfectly acceptable as an alternative to Cobra, but not one I'd bother with again.

Bath Ale's Gem - an "amber ale" which I've been avoiding on the assumption that it's anaemic in the malt and over-hopped. They've never seen amber. It's a very good conventional brown and fairly sweetly malty bitter; their idiot marketing department should see beyond the end of their hipster beards.

West Berkshire Brewery's Mr Chubb's Lunchtime Bitter. Does exactly what it says on the label. It's brewed in the west of what used to be the county of Berkshire before those bastard Tories abolished it in a typically half-arsed and thoughtless attempt to rationalise local government. It's a bitter. It's of a suitable strength (3.7%) to drink at lunchtime.

The previous lunchtime, while waiting over an hour for pizza to arrive in a quiet pub with a pizza oven behind the bar I'd had a couple of pints of Rocking Rudolph, which appears to be a seasonal brew from Greene King. They're a bit better at brewing beer than delivering quick lunches, but it's nothing hugely special.

And this morning I had a slice of chocolate Guinness cake. Enough black stuff to keep it moist and cut back the sweetness without overwhelming.

srw

I'll say you have. You've just lost your gall bladder, and you're eating microwave curry, pizza, and chocolate cake? :ohmy:
Doctor's advice - no need to avoid any particular food!

The liver supplies bile to the intestines (bile is what makes fat digestible) both directly and via the gall bladder - I've still got the direct route, and it seems to work pretty well. The gall bladder is an evolutionary adaptation which supported a prehistoric diet of occasional and very large fat binges; the design flaw that causes it to accumulate stones was never evolved out because it tends to hit after child-bearing age.

Ironically I suspect my previous diet (generally very low fat with occasional high-fat peaks) was worse for me than a moderate-fat diet.

U

User169

West Ashley from Saint Adairius Rustic Ales outta Capitola, California.

Right up my street. A simple saison aged on Pinot noir barrels and apricots with a weird and wonderful set of beasties.

Gentle salty caramel upfront giving way to fruity sourness. A lovely sherbety mouthfeel.

Utterly fNtastic!

IMG_1409.JPG

srw

Fair enough. Depends if those things can be regarded as food though.
Curry is just stew with spices. Pizza is a cheese toastie. Cake, when it comes from a coffee shop that cooks its own food, is just flour, butter, sugar, eggs and flavourings. I think those things count as food, as part of a varied diet with occasional treats, unless you're being terminally dull.

subaqua

What’s the point
This is quite possibly the most disappointing pint of Bengal Lancer I have ever had
View attachment 335416

You should go to my brothers house then . Where he doesn't let the bottle settle for a day or so. Now I know the bits are not bad for you , but perlease.

Anyway. Photo bucket is still gash so I am risking breaking the rules .
Adnams ghost ship

A nice confusing beer. Tastes malty , but is a pale ale so finishes citrusy lemon/lime. Bonkers but nice.

Bath Gem on draught is gorgeous if kept well. It isn't amber as stated but it is moreish. Bath Ales owned by St Austell Brewery now.

U

User169

Outta Florida. Hazelnut imp stout. A Ma Zing!! Insanely goiod stuff.

One oft be best things I've ever tasted.

IMG_1412.JPG

Top Bottom