Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Good idea! I'll have another Belleville Patriot, please. Went down nicely the other day. Very like the Dorking Brewery Washington Ale, well rounded but with a tang of aniseed to bemuse the tastebuds.

Earlier this week, after a family visit to a solicitor, during which my mind became befuddled but the clouds scudded away, we found ourselves walking past Zero degrees microbrewery. Exceptionally for early afternoon, I felt a microbeer was in order. So a Tongue Twister peach Gose seemed the perfect lunchtime beer to fuel my arduous journey half-mile journey back across the heath. Very peachy, a bit too tidy and conservative for my tastes but a rather good beer nevertheless. My brother then coaxed me into a Dr Goodnight chamomile and eucalyptus saison, while the server really wanted us to drink halves. Assured that none of us was driving, she relented. There was something reminiscent of some kind of medicine, which I guess was the eucalyptus. Nice though. I might return because I was very tempted by their beer described as a tropical stout.

So tonight, I went for an evening riverside pootle down to Woolwich, where I finally located Hop Stuff's original taproom. As soon as I'd got a One Mile End Gose fleur de sel sorted I got a text message and, as I was outside and seatless at the time, I put the beer down on the floor while I texted back. Half a sentence into my reply I discovered a spaniel puppy was drinking my beer. I had to remove a little black fleck floating on the top before I was able to resume my beer. Sour and salty, cloudy and dog-licked, it wouldn't have gone down well in Zero degrees. But I wasn't and it did go down well.

Diverted to the Hop Stuff taproom in Deptford, I went for another One Mile End beer, a Disarm American Pale. And it promptly ran out before the glass was full. 7/8ths of a pint for a half pint price to compensate for the impossibility of getting a full pint of One Mile End beer. Pleasantly refreshing, light and grapefruity.

So, anyway, if you found a dog drinking your beer, who'd get a fresh pint and who'd drink it anyway?

SteveF

A London Porter in Lisbon...

IMG_20180621_124350.jpg

[QUOTE 5285637, member: 10119"]That's because I almost only ever drink beer when standing packed shoulder to shoulder in dingy clubs and pubs whilst listening to excellent choons by contemporary beat combos, and photograph said beers with a phone camera while trying not to drop a wobbly plastic 'glass' :biggrin:[/QUOTE]
Only one problem with these beer photos for me...

.. Couldn't quite see the beer

Looks like a good gig though

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Customer: I'll just have a pint of that Cloudwater please
Bar tender: of course, just for the avoidance of embarrassment, that is £10.50 a pint
Customer: wow! I'll have a pint of Lytham Blonde please
Bar tender: sure... £2.90 please
Customer: is it made form holy water or summert?
That wouldn't surprise me-oh Manchester, so much to answer for:crazy:. My Sichuan Saison from Mad Hatter in the 'pool was boss though, with a pleasingly subtle spicy fruitiness:cheers:. At 7.4% it's on the strong side for a Saison. My Kirkby Lonsdale Pennine Ambler was much more sessionable at about half the ABV and a very well balanced amber ale. It was also nice to see Barngates Brathay Gold on tap at the Dog & Gun in Skelton t'other day ( another very agreeable session ale).

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Solvay Society had a tap takeover at the local. Their list of beers looks like a science lecture series. Their Coulomb Saison was a pretty classic saison, charged with a woody bitterness and a lot of that appleish hop that I still haven't identified.

I progressed to 2/3rds of a Dubbel Beta Coumarin. Having looked it up before, I knew Coumarin was the French for Tonka beans. Beta, I learned, is apparently the new ISO name for beetroot. A deep ruby with a pink head, it was a confusing little concoction. As I'm easily confused, this isn't necessarily a criticism, but I didn't know what to make of it. Again, that almost floral apple juice taste.

A quick look at their website suggests that there's been a bit of Cascade dry hopping shenanigans going on in their beer laboratories. Perhaps that's where the apple comes from.....

Top Bottom