Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
New brewery time! So far, so very good.

6E9E8982-B70A-44CF-8204-B8D347DF29BF.jpeg

D10E30FB-217D-4ECA-ACF2-7A19F5E9D879.jpeg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That's unusual, I rarely find that the can is better than 2nd best.

That might not be a good recommenation, IMHO. It could be that the draught version was lacking and its quality was down to can levels! Mind you, canned beer has improved a lot from the days when they all came with a hint of metallic flavour included as standard. I prefer bottles, as the beer can be bottle-conditioned. I have yet to find what can truly be called Real Ale in canned form. Some non-Real beer can be fairly decent, but it just isn't the same as the proper stuff served in draught form.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've just drunk a mango and cacao sour. That is more likely to leave them feeling let down.

Call me a philistine if you wish, but to me, sour beers taste like something I would take back to the bar and complain that it was off. I know it's a legitimate beer genre, but it just isn't my thing. I would sooner drink a bottle of Tiger than a sour, and I am not suggesting Tiger is good beer - because it really isn't.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
”Old Speckled Hen” English Pale Ale: at last, a brew on the block that gets fairly close to the old hops-in-the-bottle Worthington White Shield. WWS is still available but the current smudgy dregs version is not a patch on the original. Gold star to Morland's for saving the day.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
White Shield is one of my favourite beers, but I rarely see it on the shelves these days. My old man used to swear by it as a laxative! And very effective it was too! :eek: Young's Special London Ale, Fuller's 1845, Shep's 1698, St Austell Proper Job, and Hop Back Entire Stout tend to be my go-to bottle-conditioned beers when I can get my hands on them in a supermarket.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
White Shield is one of my favourite beers, but I rarely see it on the shelves these days. My old man used to swear by it as a laxative! And very effective it was too! :eek: Young's Special London Ale, Fuller's 1845, Shep's 1698, St Austell Proper Job, and Hop Back Entire Stout tend to be my go-to bottle-conditioned beers when I can get my hands on them in a supermarket.
Proper Job is a pretty good beer.

Meanwhile, a night of ethical reflection lies ahead of me and that's very thirsty work

:becool:....

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Northern Monk Patrons Project delivered me this sour peach and apricot IPA. Fruit and a long hoppy bitterness mingle oddly here. Nah! Never mind, there's beer in the fridge ...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Decided to support the local brewery, Howard Town in Glossop

They've furloughed all but two employees and are brewing and offering, amongst other things, "beer in a box". It's like wine in a box, only it's beer. This one is a nice hoppy 4.2% ale. Cheap too....£29 for 18 pints. As we are local, delivery is free. In fact, it's fast and free. It arrived two hours after I ordered it.

They offer a mini cask which I presume pours a good replica of a pub keg but that's £20 for eight pints. The beer in a box is good, but the head is a bit limited. We solved that by drinking 2/3 instead of pints and using a tulip glass which seems to hold the head better. It says to keep it between 8 degrees and 15 degrees but we stuck it in the fridge in the garage and it was really refreshing in the hot weather. Keeps for a month, it lasted a couple of weekends

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Decided to support the local brewery, Howard Town in Glossop

They've furloughed all but two employees and are brewing and offering, amongst other things, "beer in a box". It's like wine in a box, only it's beer. This one is a nice hoppy 4.2% ale. Cheap too....£29 for 18 pints. As we are local, delivery is free. In fact, it's fast and free. It arrived two hours after I ordered it.

They offer a mini cask which I presume pours a good replica of a pub keg but that's £20 for eight pints. The beer in a box is good, but the head is a bit limited. We solved that by drinking 2/3 instead of pints and using a tulip glass which seems to hold the head better. It says to keep it between 8 degrees and 15 degrees but we stuck it in the fridge in the garage and it was really refreshing in the hot weather. Keeps for a month, it lasted a couple of weekends

View attachment 527717
That's good value but maybe just a bit big for a single person:sad:.

On the bright side though, I like lots of maltiness and this Siren/Green Creek collaboration has lots and lots

Top Bottom