Beginner(ish) Bike recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Apps316

Evening All,

I'm fairly new to cycling (a year or so) and I've been through lots of bikes so far (all second hand purchases). Basically I'm looking for something fast, comfortable and easy to ride. I do suffer with lower back pain so I was thinking that a flatbar road bike would be best. I'm currently using a Merida speeder series 2015 (56cm frame) I'm 5 11'. Although at first I really liked this bike it has a seat like a brick and it is noticeably heavier than my previous Cannondale Caad bike. It's about 11.4kg and on one of the routes I take it's quite up and down and I found it can be hard work at times.

In Hindsight perhaps I should have kept the Cannondale but the frame size was 54cm so slightly too small for me I think.

I normally cycle twice a week and tend to do about 10 to 15 miles on each trip but I will be doing the London to Southend in July which is around 52 miles.

Any advice would be appreciated as I feel like I've gone around in circles a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Dan

vickster

Legendary Member
What’s the budget?
If interested in drops, Giant Defy are popular and have a wide range being around for a number of years and a range of specs.
Backache assuming there’s no degenerate disease or serious injury can be alleviated with stretching, core work and bike fit.
Fast comes from you first, bike second (weather, traffic and road surface also influencers)

Kajjal

Guru
Also have a think about the gearing you need, struggling up hills is no fun !

Newer bikes have 11-34 gearing which makes hills easier.

OP
OP
A

Apps316

Whereabouts are you based? There are several 56cm CAAD on eBay eg this one in East London
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannonda...908788?hash=item3b514a8574:g:XkQAAOSwOfVfgtj3

have you tried putting some faster lighter tyres on the Merida? And a different saddle? Flip the stem to raise the bars, see if that helps the backache?

No I haven't tried that yet, but was going to. Any saddles you'd recommend for comfort? I have some spare tyres for the Merida which were described as slick summer tyres when I bought it.

I'm fairly new to cycling (a year or so) and I've been through lots of bikes so far (all second hand purchases). Basically I'm looking for something fast, comfortable and easy to ride.

I've been cycling for over 40 years and am still looking for something fast! Let me know when you find it.

vickster

Legendary Member
No I haven't tried that yet, but was going to. Any saddles you'd recommend for comfort? I have some spare tyres for the Merida which were described as slick summer tyres when I bought it.
Are you male or female?
The Charge Spoon for him or Charge Ladle for her are good sub £30 choices (and easy to sell on if no good)

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Evening All,

I'm fairly new to cycling (a year or so) and I've been through lots of bikes so far (all second hand purchases). Basically I'm looking for something fast, comfortable and easy to ride. I do suffer with lower back pain so I was thinking that a flatbar road bike would be best. I'm currently using a Merida speeder series 2015 (56cm frame) I'm 5 11'. Although at first I really liked this bike it has a seat like a brick and it is noticeably heavier than my previous Cannondale Caad bike. It's about 11.4kg and on one of the routes I take it's quite up and down and I found it can be hard work at times.

In Hindsight perhaps I should have kept the Cannondale but the frame size was 54cm so slightly too small for me I think.

I normally cycle twice a week and tend to do about 10 to 15 miles on each trip but I will be doing the London to Southend in July which is around 52 miles.

Any advice would be appreciated as I feel like I've gone around in circles a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Dan

Worth considering a more relaxed drop bar bike, maybe something sold as a touring bike. I ride a generic Dawes aluminium road bike and spent some time and money getting it set up how I like it. I am probably about £350 all in for it so you might want to consider something similar. You get the bike you want.

Top Bottom