Beginner(ish) Bike recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's pointless replacing a bike just because it has an uncomfortable saddle. saddles are highly individual and the only way to find good ones is trial and error.
When Lidl next have a cycling promotion on, get on of their Wittkop saddles that cost about seven quid. They come in three widths. I don't own one, but the middle width trekking saddle has been recommended to me by three different riders now and they are cheap enough to be wrong about. You don't want to go and buy an expensive saddle and find out the hard way that feels like a brick. Get a cheap one first and see how you like it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
A bike being fast is down to your fitness. Twice a week whilst initially will have helped isn’t enough to get you really fit for those hills. Get out on the bike more and hit those hills.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
It's pointless replacing a bike just because it has an uncomfortable saddle. saddles are highly individual and the only way to find good ones is trial and error.
When Lidl next have a cycling promotion on, get on of their Wittkop saddles that cost about seven quid. They come in three widths. I don't own one, but the middle width trekking saddle has been recommended to me by three different riders now and they are cheap enough to be wrong about. You don't want to go and buy an expensive saddle and find out the hard way that feels like a brick. Get a cheap one first and see how you like it.

Even better they are in store on Sunday.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/cycling-gear/wittkop-memory-foam-saddle/p41318

I think I am going to try the road one.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Even better they are in store on Sunday. I think I am going to try the road one.

Thanks for letting us know. I was not aware they were doing cycling stuff this weekend. I think I'll push the boat out and get one just to try even though I have plenty of saddles. if they turn out super comfortable it will be worth putting a couple aside for the future.
One thing I have learned is if you really like a product a lot, then fill yer boots whilst they are readily available. Manufacturers have a nasty habit of subsequently "improving" perfectly good things that don't need improvement, and spoiling them in the process.
The workstand has gone down to twenty quid now! I paid an extravagant £25 for mine.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Thanks for letting us know. I was not aware they were doing cycling stuff this weekend. I think I'll push the boat out and get one just to try even though I have plenty of saddles. if they turn out super comfortable it will be worth putting a couple aside for the future.
One thing I have learned is if you really like a product a lot, then fill yer boots whilst they are readily available. Manufacturers have a nasty habit of subsequently "improving" perfectly good things that don't need improvement, and spoiling them in the process.
The workstand has gone down to twenty quid now! I paid an extravagant £25 for mine.

I got the PlanetX one in January for about £30 which has been invaluable, would have been nice to save £10 though.

I think the sunglasses and saddles are probably the only things I will be going for. I will probably head down for opening on Sunday to make sure I get the pick of the bunch.

A few of us locally have been pushing our local Lidl to reopen there cycle parking as the closed it last year. The reopened it on Monday, maybe they are expecting an influx of bikes.

Top Bottom