Beginner with crashing issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Find an open space so you don't need to worry about crashing into hazards, then just ride around, let your mind wander, become part of the bike. After a while, start aiming for something ahead, think about the path you want to take and you'll go that way.
Don't even think about riding near traffic until you feel confident about controlling the bike.
Only then start practicing your road skills.
That is top advice. If you can find somewhere like that, just keep trundling around slowly and your instinct will eventually take over. I'd also suggest not trying to over-think it. While there are certainly good reasons why people can have trouble steering, I think it's usually just because your instinct hasn't caught on yet, and the more you concentrate on specific remedies the more you'll be *thinking* about steering and not letting your instincts work it out for themselves.

And no, definitely don't go anywhere near traffic until you can steer safely!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1724...3D710-134428-41853-0%26rvr_id%3D1161826522149

IMG_3877.JPG

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So I'm now the proud owner of a cheapish road bike - took it out for a ride tonight with my friend.
You've had lots and lots of great advice already but I'd like to add (apologies if it's been covered as I've missed it) that sometimes friends aren't always the best people to start out with, I'm not saying that his particular friend isn't great, but sometimes friends can be more concerned with showing you how much better they are at something than helping you along. So, just a thought, riding with friends is great, but make sure they're sympathetic to your needs :okay:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No, I'm usually looking at the front wheel area to prevent crashing into anything. I can't seem to get my grip to relax either!

It's a new bike so i think it's more my fault unfortunately :sad:
Also I think I did something bad to the chain when I crashed - my friend fixed it but I'm not sure whether I should take it to the shop again as it worked fine afterwards?

Thanks for the advice guys, was just stupidly hoping there was some sort of quick fix or "hack" for driving straight lol - the deliveroo guys make it look so easy
Dont look at any part of your bike when moving, there should be no reason to.

Head up, clear view of the road and focus on the horizon, or the furthest point that you can see.

Dont focus on the back.of cars either.

Plus one for riding about the park for a bit until you master the basic control

Reactions: mjr

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Target acquisition.
spoilsport

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
One thing that helped when I was teaching my girls to ride was to take them up to the university car park (which is near my house) on a Sunday morning. Nice smooth east to ride on tarmac, there was a bit of a slope at one end which helped with balancing, painted lines to follow, and it was quiet (students weren't up). Is there anywhere similar where you live?

Oh, and to reinforce everyone else, you need to look out at the world, not down at the bike.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom