Beginner with crashing issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xahend

Regular
part 2 of the cycling related/drug sounding issues //

So I'm now the proud owner of a cheapish road bike - took it out for a ride tonight with my friend.

Not five minutes into riding and I've crashed into a traffic light pole.

I saw it coming. I subconsciously braked but didn't brake on time. I walked it off despite the horrified/amused onlookers in their cars. Broke the standard refractive light that came with the bike...

HOW HOW HOW do you ride in a straight line, or at least without crashing into anything?

Even when the path was wide and empty I couldn't ride in a straight line - I veered to the right a lot. When cars came I would panic and just dismount. Don't even want to think about riding during the day when there would be people and more crash hazards about.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Errrrm; try looking in the direction that you want to go? Sounds like you might be suffering from "target fixation", whereby you tend to steer in the direction of hazards that you fixate on.
If traffic is such a problem, why not take the bike to a quiet place like an empty car park until you master the basics?

OP
OP
xahend

xahend

Regular
@Brandane

Didn't realise I was doing that actually - anytime I'd straighten my back and look ahead I'd go back to doing it.

Might practice in the children's park then - at least they'll be friendlier target practice :/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@Gert Lush

But if I don't hold on to the handlebars hard enough I will fall off and die...

No, I don't drive :/
Doesn't really matter. Most people used to ride before they could drive. I suspect Gert is thinking that inability to go straight is more common when learning to drive - the two classics are looking at the thing you're worried about and subconsciously steering towards it, and looking too close to the front of the car and so wobbling the steering wheel about. When you cycle, are you mostly looking at the way ahead? As in head up and towards the horizon?

And don't grip the bars too tight or put much weight on them. They're for steering, not support. If you can't rest your hands lightly on them, get them moved to where you can - that means a different stem, usually: maybe an adjustable at first. You should be able to balance on just the saddle and pedals with your arms out sideways (almost - you'll probably want to keep one hand lightly on a wall while testing that!)

Gripping too tight causes various stability problems, which is partly why it's nicknamed the death grip! Personally, I think one shouldn't close one's hand around the bars except when braking, but that seems unfashionable now.

Just check everything is lined up correctly as well - wheels true, handlebars straight. If something is out of alignment, that might be the cause of your wibbly-wobblies.

Also, my first time on narrow tyres last autumn brought on a few rubber underwear moments... :blush: Just go find someplace to ride where there's not much chance of hitting anything. It's as much of a confidence thing as anything else.

OP
OP
xahend

xahend

Regular
Doesn't really matter. Most people used to ride before they could drive. I suspect Gert is thinking that inability to go straight is more common when learning to drive - the two classics are looking at the thing you're worried about and subconsciously steering towards it, and looking too close to the front of the car and so wobbling the steering wheel about. When you cycle, are you mostly looking at the way ahead? As in head up and towards the horizon?

And don't grip the bars too tight or put much weight on them. They're for steering, not support. If you can't rest your hands lightly on them, get them moved to where you can - that means a different stem, usually: maybe an adjustable at first. You should be able to balance on just the saddle and pedals with your arms out sideways (almost - you'll probably want to keep one hand lightly on a wall while testing that!)

Gripping too tight causes various stability problems, which is partly why it's nicknamed the death grip! Personally, I think one shouldn't close one's hand around the bars except when braking, but that seems unfashionable now.

No, I'm usually looking at the front wheel area to prevent crashing into anything. I can't seem to get my grip to relax either!

Just check everything is lined up correctly as well - wheels true, handlebars straight. If something is out of alignment, that might be the cause of your wibbly-wobblies.

Also, my first time on narrow tyres last autumn brought on a few rubber underwear moments... :blush: Just go find someplace to ride where there's not much chance of hitting anything. It's as much of a confidence thing as anything else.

It's a new bike so i think it's more my fault unfortunately :sad:
Also I think I did something bad to the chain when I crashed - my friend fixed it but I'm not sure whether I should take it to the shop again as it worked fine afterwards?

Thanks for the advice guys, was just stupidly hoping there was some sort of quick fix or "hack" for driving straight lol - the deliveroo guys make it look so easy

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There is a quick hack. Stop looking so close to your front wheel and get your head up!

You'll get more warning of things to avoid the further away up the track/road you look. You may have to sometimes glance close to make sure you've missed something but by the time it's that close, you can't easily steer around it, so it's more a matter of bracing.

Time trial events are even blunter about this. They put up signs saying "head down riding kills" or something like that!

I wonder if you get more warning of approaching hazards then you'll relax the grip or if the bike is slightly the wrong setup.

OP
OP
xahend

xahend

Regular
Will experiment in the park sometime this week - feel like maybe if I practice keeping my head up it should solve things?

I still panic when I'm riding on a narrow road and there's a row of parked cars to my left and I can hear a car trying to overtake behind me - I've had so many near-miss, almost crashes with those parked cars.

I think I need a fight/flight/fright suppressant drug

Or just a really wide cycle track with no pedestrians and cars...

If you're a newbie riding in traffic, then yep, that's a scary place to be xxx :hugs: It will get better with experience, honest. Try and keep around 3 feet between you and the parked cars.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
As Reynard said, just keep practising the cycling, and you'll get better at it. Find places to ride where you feel safer, and keep practising. Another good option is to find cycling groups that take beginners, so you can ride with ever-present support.

OP
OP
xahend

xahend

Regular
If you're a newbie riding in traffic, then yep, that's a scary place to be xxx :hugs: It will get better with experience, honest. Try and keep around 3 feet between you and the parked cars.

aw thank you! I don't know though, I feel like I should train with orange cones in an empty park or something also

As Reynard said, just keep practising the cycling, and you'll get better at it. Find places to ride where you feel safer, and keep practising. Another good option is to find cycling groups that take beginners, so you can ride with ever-present support.

Thank you! I would try and find a group but I'd only slow them down haha

I've proven to be a really problematic cyclist. I have issues going uphill, downhill, can't turn properly, get scared when I pick up decent speed, etc. Fed up with myself lol!

Top Bottom