Beginner - would a CX bike suit me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevfm

Regular
I'm sure this has been asked before (I have looked). Although I am fit and active, the last time I cycled on a public road was 20 years ago so I am a complete cycling novice. What I want a bike for is to ride to the gym (15 mile round trip) and for 1-2 hour(ish) rides for a cardio workout. I may want to do some light off road riding. I'd prefer drop bars but am not set on it. I won't be riding all day or going touring. I was thinking of spending £500 or so to get me started and don't mind second hand. I was looking at CX/gravel bikes like this

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBPXCXXLA1/planet-x-xla-sram-apex1-cyclocross-bike

Would something like that be OK to get me going or would I be better with a road bike? Or even a hybrid...

thanks in advance

BigMeatball

My advice is, whatever bike you buy, make sure it's got a 2x groupset, gives you more flexibility.

The bike you have linked has a 1x groupset.

But that's just my opinion.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Drop or flat bars is one of your bigger decisions as a new cyclist.

Having made that, a cyclocross/gravel/adventure bike will be fine.

It's often only a name, but a true cyclocross bike is designed for racing, which means it has a 'head down' riding position which may not be as comfortable as a bike of the other types.

Visibility for the rider is not as good, which is not important in a race when everyone is going the same way, but is important on roads and paths.

A cyclocross bike may also not have very low gearing because racers shoulder the bike and run up anything steep.

That's also why the gear cables in the bike in your link are routed above the top tube - they won't snag on the rider's shoulder when he gets off and runs with it.

Planet X make nice bikes, but you might be better off buying a bike you can throw your leg over first to test fit.

For comfort, I would suggest something on which the saddle (when adjusted to your height) is close to level with the bars, or not much higher than them.

Venod

Eh up
I picked up one of the PX XLA second and for my lad, he hadn't ridden for a while but gets on with it fine, as pointed out by @BigMeatball its a single chain ring, not to everyone's liking but it has a wide range of gears, the frame also has mudguard eyes should you require them.
He rides it mainly on road but has done canals towpaths and bridleways.
I think its a bit of a bargain.
I have two CX bikes that I ride on and off road, they suit me fine, will take big tyres and guards and still a lively ride.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I picked up one of the PX XLA second and for my lad, he hadn't ridden for a while but gets on with it fine, as pointed out by @BigMeatball its a single chain ring, not to everyone's liking but it has a wide range of gears, the frame also has mudguard eyes should you require them.
He rides it mainly on road but has done canals towpaths and bridleways.
I think its a bit of a bargain.
I have two CX bikes that I ride on and off road, they suit me fine, will take big tyres and guards and still a lively ride.
I could be wrong here but I don’t think the XLA that @Kevfm has linked to has eyes for mudguards?

Besides the competition cx race bikes there are a slew of doitall cx style bikes that are excellent for most types of riding

Make sure the bike comes with threaded eyelets for rack and mudguard.

Lowish gear options are always handy.

You won't be going touring....yet but this style makes for a useful light-med duty touring bike that can also haul shopping.

tom73

Guru
I was going to say have a look a Planet X London Rd but it look's like they have killed it on the QT.
However the one you've linked should be be fine for you.

You don’t want a dedicated Cyclocross bike, unless you’re planning on doing the sport of cyclocross. If you can stretch your budget a bit,
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-500-disc-road-bike-black-sora-id_8554410.html
This would be a good starter bike.
for a couple of hundred quid more, you get better gearing and certain other components with this.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-520-disc-road-bike-navy-105-id_8554421.html

Yeah would suggest either of those - or go used a good giant defy can be had for around £200 - keep the cost down for the first bike - get to know what u want - then plonk a decent wedge depending on how much you like it.

Venod

Eh up
You don’t want a dedicated Cyclocross bike

I would agree if they are set up specifically for cross, but the bigger tyre clearance and ability to still fit guards while still having a lively geometry does it for me, I would even say the 46/36 gearing is ample for road use, fit a 34 if 36 is a bit high, but with an 11/32, 46/36 should take you anywhere, if you run out of gears with 46/11 consider a pro contract.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a Boardman team CX 2014 as a commuter/winter/utility bike fitted with 32mm tyres (I didn’t like the knobbly ones, draggy and slippery), it’s got 2x10 SRAM Apex, compact double. I swapped the not v good BB5 brakes for TRP Spyres. Wears full mudguards and a rack so perfect for commuting and shopping. Certainly not as nimble as a roadbike, but does its job. I do have some new wheels to fit as the stock ones are v heavy

Always several on eBay (mine was end of line so under £500 new).

beware the RC 520 wheels/tyres (do a search on the forum). Ask to have a go at changing a tyre in store

Top Bottom