Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you don't want to get shouted at BY me don't shout AT me, as I was once told by an hofficer of the law. A

Has anyone ever achieved anything positive and worthwhile by bellowing at a car driver? I haven't, maybe I didn't ever shout loud enough. All a bit too escalatory for my taste.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you don't want to get shouted at BY me don't shout AT me, as I was once told by an hofficer of the law. A

Has anyone ever achieved anything positive and worthwhile by bellowing at a car driver? I haven't, maybe I didn't ever shout loud enough. All a bit too escalatory for my taste.

brokenbetty

Über Member
SavageHoutkop said:
Anyone else got some experiences to share?

Since I started wearing girly clothes on my bike I have noticed a lot less aggression from other drivers. It's not a babe thing - my babe days are long past. It seems to be a courtesy-to-ladies thing.

A flowery pannier, a firm hand signal and a cheery thank-you wave seem to go a very long way even in London ;)

brokenbetty

Über Member
SavageHoutkop said:
Anyone else got some experiences to share?

Since I started wearing girly clothes on my bike I have noticed a lot less aggression from other drivers. It's not a babe thing - my babe days are long past. It seems to be a courtesy-to-ladies thing.

A flowery pannier, a firm hand signal and a cheery thank-you wave seem to go a very long way even in London :blush:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
trsleigh said:
Reading these posts I do sometimes wonder if London in general is less deranged than most of the rest of the country. As a fat, not bald, oldish bloke on a tiny wheeled bike with a silly big bag on the front, I cannot recall any stupid comments in four years of Bromptoneering around West London / West End. ;)

I suppose it just could be that the sheer numbers of Bromptons have overwhelmed the local morons.

i agree. even in manchester there aren't many. to be honest it is mostly my own fault for being foolish enough to take such an unfashionable bso into the hills and roads of rossendale without attending a meeting of the lto (local twat organisation) and throwing myself at their mercy and asking for permission to ride upon thier local turf. :laugh:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
trsleigh said:
Reading these posts I do sometimes wonder if London in general is less deranged than most of the rest of the country. As a fat, not bald, oldish bloke on a tiny wheeled bike with a silly big bag on the front, I cannot recall any stupid comments in four years of Bromptoneering around West London / West End. :smile:

I suppose it just could be that the sheer numbers of Bromptons have overwhelmed the local morons.

i agree. even in manchester there aren't many. to be honest it is mostly my own fault for being foolish enough to take such an unfashionable bso into the hills and roads of rossendale without attending a meeting of the lto (local twat organisation) and throwing myself at their mercy and asking for permission to ride upon thier local turf. :smile:

Plax

Guru
They generally don't differentiate. A cyclist isn't a person you know.

I've had stuff shouted at me generally along the lines of "cycle path" but I can never hear what they say and just ignore them. I had a brief period of young lads in one particular van always slowing down alongside me and offering to pull me up the road etc which I suspect they wouldn't have done had I been male.

Touch wood I haven't had anything in a very long time.

Plax

Guru
They generally don't differentiate. A cyclist isn't a person you know.

I've had stuff shouted at me generally along the lines of "cycle path" but I can never hear what they say and just ignore them. I had a brief period of young lads in one particular van always slowing down alongside me and offering to pull me up the road etc which I suspect they wouldn't have done had I been male.

Touch wood I haven't had anything in a very long time.

ACW

its the sort of behavior that used to be reserved for ethnic minority's, (still is by the most moronic) but as that is now an offence that is punished they have shifted to a minority that can be abused and no one will bother.

ACW

its the sort of behavior that used to be reserved for ethnic minority's, (still is by the most moronic) but as that is now an offence that is punished they have shifted to a minority that can be abused and no one will bother.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
bromptonfb said:
i wonder if more of this behavior happens post the advert "fish slap the cyclist by moton" than pre advert?

I would think it's probably more to do with how much time gets spent by cyclists naval gazing and the amount of press coverage that gets dedicated to ninjas, fairies, RLJers and whatever other silly business.

Top Bottom