Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

brokenbetty said:
So we have to wait 1 year and 10 months to draw any meaningful conclusion

How many happies do you get a day?

Dunno. Don't count and don't care.

I suppose they're too busy wondering why the cyclist on a brand new bike, wearing a brand new Flouro jacket, with brand new leggings, shoes and gloves; is riding in the middle of the carriageway; when the old codger on the heavy heap they've just passed seemed to know what he's doing.

Anyway, 'Happies' don't threaten to smack my teeth in.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
jimboalee said:

I suppose they're too busy wondering why the cyclist on a brand new bike, wearing a brand new Flouro jacket, with brand new leggings, shoes and gloves; is riding in the middle of the carriageway; when the old codger on the heavy heap they've just passed seemed to know what he's doing.

Good that means they spotted her.

I must admit it is nice to share smiles with cars - I like the Happies Brokenbetty:biggrin:

brokenbetty

Über Member
jimboalee said:

Interesting. Who is this person in the fluoro jacket and the brand new bike? It certainly isn't me.

The drivers I interact with can see I do know what I am doing and appreciate it. They don't wonder why I'm riding where I do because it's blindingly obvious to anyone with any road sense. However I do see drivers gesture at cyclists creeping up the gutter then suddenly wobbling in front of them at the lights...

But two Norf Lahdan rude boys in a 4x4 did indeed beep at me once because I pulled in front of them at the ASL. So clearly, despite your complete lack of any concrete knowledge of me, my style or my commute, this proves you are right.

jimboalee

"I suppose they're too busy wondering why the cyclist on a brand new bike, wearing a brand new Flouro jacket, with brand new leggings, shoes and gloves; is riding in the middle of the carriageway; when the old codger on the heavy heap they've just passed seemed to know what he's doing."

Shall I rephrase that?

I suppose they're too busy wondering why the cyclist on a brand new bike, wearing a brand new Flouro jacket, with brand new leggings, shoes and gloves; is riding in the middle of the carriageway.
They are also a bit bewildered why there was a constant LED rear bicycle lamp, a flashing LED rear bicycle lamp, a rear bicycle reflector and a 5W white front lamp floating down the road with absolutely nothing but a bright red cycling jacket floating along in formation.

They might be thinking... "Why is it I only needed to move across two feet to pass the invisible man on his bike, and I have to slow down to 13 frigging mph and wait for this one."

brokenbetty

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Shall I rephrase that?

Will it make more sense?

jimboalee said:
I suppose they're too busy wondering why the cyclist on a brand new bike, wearing a brand new Flouro jacket, with brand new leggings, shoes and gloves; is riding in the middle of the carriageway.
They are also a bit bewildered why there was a constant LED rear bicycle lamp, a flashing LED rear bicycle lamp, a rear bicycle reflector and a 5W white front lamp floating down the road with absolutely nothing but a bright red cycling jacket floating along in formation.

Ah - no. It makes even less sense. Seriously, who is this fantasy fluoro cyclist you are all het up about?

jimboalee said:
They might be thinking... "Why is it I only needed to move across two feet to pass the invisible man on his bike, and I have to slow down to 13 frigging mph and wait for this one."

If there is room to overtake safely I won't be in primary. If there isn't, I will. It makes it easier for everyone. Simples.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Now Jim, despite the thread hijacking cause you're annoyed about forummers disagreeing with you on another thread I have to say that if you're cycling in the gutter, I've many a time experienced passes that were too close hence why I cycle more assertively now- motorists don't always give you two feet when passing. Some don't even see you and you acknowledge that by referring to the invisible cyclist. surely that's just not safe. Brokenbetty is not there to hog the road 24/7 just when the safety margins are narrower to prevent dangerous or close overtakes.

This is such a misplaced point you're trying to hammer in with no backing

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Jimbo, we've done the debate about primary and all that. Many times, even before you arrived on this forum. You've stated your position clearly, loudly and often. We understand it.

Now can we let the various threads you've hijacked get back to their original topics?

thomas

the tank engine
HobbesChoice said:
My experiences are the same as Broken Betty. I ride in a nice pink hi viz (get yourself one Thomas - you'll never look back) and have long hair showing out the back of my crash hat. At lights I'll often get chavs making inappropriate comments, but in general I think I get treated a little better than the men on the bikes. Having said that though, I'm not in a race to get home so it gives me the luxury of being very courteous and I'm more than happy to wait behind a bus rather than play a constant game of leapfrog etc, so I think that does me well in how the buses treat me.

haha, I'll pass on the long hair :laugh:. Not sold on the pink :o)....I'm a big lad so would probably look a bit dykey :biggrin:

jimboalee

Who's 'Hijacking' threads?

This thread is 'perceptions of cyclists'.

All I've written is my idea of motorist's perception of cyclists.

If my idea of what annoys motorists most is cyclists taking 'primary' position, that's my opinion.

Yes there are some choice phrases on another thread.

The WM Traffic officer saying "Right in the middle of the f*cking lane" and "A bloody silly place to ride a pushbike" still ring in my ear.

Can anyone deny the pro motoring Petrolheads HATE cyclists because, in their opinion, cyclists 'Hog the road'?

It doesn't matter which cyclist is right or wrong about their style. They make their choice based on experience and knowledge of motorist's failings.

Do most people only get abuse when in the primary position?

The times I've got it have been when I've been in secondary, ordinary riding, no obstacles and once even on a shared footpath running next to a road. Always lads, always corsa/golf/fiesta type cars.

semislickstick said:
Do most people only get abuse when in the primary position?

The times I've got it have been when I've been in secondary, ordinary riding, no obstacles and once even on a shared footpath running next to a road. Always lads, always corsa/golf/fiesta type cars.

To be honest its quite rare for me to ride in primary, and the abuse is still forth coming

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Hmmmm I'm wondering if at the moment it's 'gone back to work stress' - I've also noticed many, many more RLJing motorists than normal (whizzing through after it's gone red; in some cases three cars in a row). On my usual route I don't see this too often; but this week's been mad that way.

My abuse seems to be mostly from pedestrians (no, I'm not on the pavement with them!); or vehicles going the other way; so not sure it's about road positioning. I did get a stupidly close pass followed by yelling out the window before Christmas (my first like this); where I'd picked the middle of the lane as there was solid ice blocking the gutters. Bunch of teenagers in a 2 door corsa. Male. As to be expected, they then got stuck at the next set of traffic lights, and the next, and the next.....(with me whizzing up the inside of the queue of traffic...). There I first saw red, then decided to try explain that there was solid ice on the left; which is why I was further over than His Highness would have liked; but of course the occupants were too testosteroned out to have a discussion. Although, once they discovered I was female, they went for the 'can I have your number' bellow out the window rather than whatever junk came out the first time.

jimboalee

Motorist's perception of cyclists and cycling.

As an ex motorcar test driver and employee in the motor industry for 35 years.

"A f*cking nuisance when we're trying to get out of the gate". Land Rover employee, Solihull.

"A bicycle is a weekend toy. Not a way of getting to work". Engineer at Lucas Diesel Systems, Greenville, South Carolina.

"I would remove "Cycling" off your list of personal interests. You won't get a job in the motor industry if you say you're a cyclist". Recruitment agency representative, Central Birmingham.

"Don't come to head office in your cycling clothes. It gives a bad impression of our business". Managing Director SAGEM Automotive Electronics UK, Birmingham.

"I would advise you to stop cycling to work. If you are killed, we would be without an emissions engineer for several months". Human Resourses Manageress, SAGEM Automotive Electronics UK, Birmingham.

"Ever thought about going along the canal towpath? You wouldn't be on the road there". An unknown motorist waiting at traffic lights on Digbeth High St. Birmingham.

And finally,

"Do you always wear lycra shorts that tight?". Julie in finance, SAGEM Automotive Electronics UK, Birmingham

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Those are just misguided Jim, I'm glad you didn't listen and stayed on the bike-it seems longer than the career in the motor industry.

Those views are based on misperceptions and actually cycling is a good thing.

brokenbetty

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Motorist's perception of cyclists and cycling.

As an ex motorcar test driver and employee in the motor industry for 35 years.

;) I look forward to your surveys on bakers' views of dieting, coal-miners' thoughts on smoke-free zones and turkeys' proposals for improving Christmas.

Top Bottom