Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Ooooo... a semantic battle. Goody!

(Gets popcorn. Settles back to enjoy the entertainment)

:sad:

Rhythm Thief said:
No. You get more abuse creeping around in the gutter as if you're ashamed of yourself.

Secondary isn't gutter ridding is it? I always thought it was a strong position but not trying to control the lane....when there isn't a need for it.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
jibmbo you're painting a really horrible and arrogant picture of yourself here. Not doing you any favours at all - if you want to convince people of gutter cycling at least use a decent arguement but hang on...there isn't one!!

semislickstick said:
Secondary isn't gutter ridding is it? I always thought it was a strong position but not trying to control the lane....when there isn't a need for it.

No, secondary is fine. As is primary of course, when required. But Jimbo seems to be arguing that we should keep out of the way of the all important Car Drivers at all times, which is not a definition even of secondary that I've come across before.:sad:

Let's all have a lovely cuppa tea and hobnobs all round then. :sad:

jimboalee

To put the record straight.

My usual riding position on the road is along the inside tyre tracks left by the four wheelers.

It is where there are less little pieces of glass, nails, swarf, drawing pins etc.

I think this is known as 'Secondary'.

'Primary' is in the centre of the lane BETWEEN THE TYRE TRACKS where sharp debris congregates after being flicked by the tyres of four wheelers.

Do you think I'm a complete idiot? :sad:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
jimboalee said:
To put the record straight.

My usual riding position on the road is along the inside tyre tracks left by the four wheelers.

That last post seems a whole lot more sensible, but it does rather conflict with your previous posts where you wrote how you won't be run over because you ride out of the way of the Very Important and Blind Car Drivers.

jimboalee

There have been times however, where I have been seen riding left of secondary.
Left of the 'Lane edge marker' line along the A45 Birmingham Rd between Coventry and Birmingham Airport.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I haven't got a disagreement with secondary, it's your suggestion of getting out of the way of motorists to let them pass every time that seems pointless.

To get back on subject, I think there are 2 clear subdivisions of abusive drivers:
1. Those who do it irrespective of who is on the bike, these are the total tossers / psychos / brain dead morons that our society seems to have more than it's fair share of. Absolutely nothing you can do about them except perhaps initiate a selective breeding program.
2. Those who are more selective as to who they pick on. Example, I or my better half rarely suffer from this type of abuser and I think it's because she is obviously a woman, petite and fit looking. I'm 6'4", fit looking and have a friendly terrorist look.

Interestingly when we are in my bigger car that we transport the bikes in I get cut up much less than when driving her small car. A Bully is a bully no matter where you are and cyclists are percieved to be an easy target. One of my real pleasures in life is to rectify this.

jimboalee

BentMikey said:
That last post seems a whole lot more sensible, but it does rather conflict with your previous posts where you wrote how you won't be run over because you ride out of the way of the Very Important and Blind Car Drivers.

If there is a motorist behind me and I become conscious of his presence, I will pull left, slow down and let him pass. To my mind, I feel more comfortable doing this than trusting and hoping he is watching me if I have to brake suddenly.

All my ranting was to get you all thinking "What if" if the motorist is not paying attention.

Is this where you all got the impression I was a 'gutter crawler'?

Top Bottom