Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

I am not a baker or coalminer so don't have anything to say on their behalf.

I have worked with professional motorcar drivers for the number of years I have already stated, so feel qualified to give an opinion of how motorists within their own industry think.

I would be so bold as to say motorists who DO NOT work in the motor industry hold cyclists in a low regard.
I'd better interview some travelling salesmen and window fitters.
:tongue:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
So what is the point to your post?

jimboalee

brokenbetty said:
:tongue: I look forward to your surveys on bakers' views of dieting, coal-miners' thoughts on smoke-free zones and turkeys' proposals for improving Christmas.

I've been chatting to the Pastry chef in the works canteen.

He said he got drunk and danced round naked when he heared Robert Atkins had tripped over and died.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Well telling a bunch of cyclists that some motorists don't like cyclists---bleeding obvious isn't it? It doesn't add any credence to your must cycle in the gutter attitude though

J4CKO

I havent had much shouting at me, generally as I am on country roads in an area generally free of pond life, it does seem to be based on social class, go through a council estate and thats when you get it, its like they have to live up to being idiots, usually kids/young men. I just ignore it totally if possible.

I had one near home, bunch of Chavs, crossing from the (usually nice) pub and he made me stop, I just stopped and said "After you mate" but I did add as I pedalled off, "You do luck a **** with that chain round your neck" :tongue: I got told off on here for that but I felt better.

brokenbetty

Über Member
jimboalee said:
I would be so bold as to say motorists who DO NOT work in the motor industry hold cyclists in a low regard.

The classic mark of a bad driver is generally that they see nothing wrong with their driving, it's the rest of the world that is the problem. (This is because the ones that recognise they are bad drivers do something about it or stop driving.)

I agree most drivers would rather cyclists weren't slowing them down. However good drivers have enough road sense to distinguish between "I wish that cyclist wasn't there" and "That cyclist shouldn't be there". Bad drivers don't - they just think no cyclist should be there.

Your memories are most likely a mix of good and bad drivers. Let's see:

"A f*cking nuisance when we're trying to get out of the gate". Land Rover employee, Solihull.
"I wish that cyclist wasn't there". Probably a good driver

"A bicycle is a weekend toy. Not a way of getting to work". Engineer at Lucas Diesel Systems, Greenville, South Carolina.
"No cyclist should be there". Bad driver.

"I would remove "Cycling" off your list of personal interests. You won't get a job in the motor industry if you say you're a cyclist". Recruitment agency representative, Central Birmingham.
"Don't come to head office in your cycling clothes. It gives a bad impression of our business". Managing Director SAGEM Automotive Electronics UK, Birmingham.
NA - these are comments on others' prejudices, not on cyclists.

"I would advise you to stop cycling to work. If you are killed, we would be without an emissions engineer for several months". Human Resourses Manageress, SAGEM Automotive Electronics UK, Birmingham.
"No cyclist should be there". Bad driver. (By the way, are you the engineer of emissions? That explains a lot :laugh:)

"Ever thought about going along the canal towpath? You wouldn't be on the road there". An unknown motorist waiting at traffic lights on Digbeth High St. Birmingham.
In this case clearly the guy obviously noticed you cowering in the gutter and assumed you didn't know how to ride in traffic. So he doesn't think all cyclists should stay off the road, just you! :tongue:

brokenbetty

Über Member
And, of course, there are plenty of bad cyclists who fully deserve to be beeped and shouted at.

ttcycle said:
Well telling a bunch of cyclists that some motorists don't like cyclists---bleeding obvious isn't it? It doesn't add any credence to your must cycle in the gutter attitude though

As a professional driver myself - as opposed to someone who's merely worked with them - the thing that annoys me most about cyclists is when they fail to control the traffic behind them (ie, my lorry) by riding assertively.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Rhythm Thief said:
As a professional driver myself - as opposed to someone who's merely worked with them - the thing that annoys me most about cyclists is when they fail to control the traffic behind them (ie, my lorry) by riding assertively.

That actually made me LMAO for real!!

BentMikey said:
That actually made me LMAO for real!!

:sad: It's true, though. I always do it for them; in other words, I drive as if they're in a strong primary and overtake onl;y when there's plenty of room. The downside of this is that they seem to gat nervous (even though I wait a good way behind them) and start waving me past. Errr, no ... I'll decide when it's safe to overtake, thanks. I wish more people would ride assertively and confidently.

jimboalee

Rhythm Thief said:

You are a professional driver?

You are a driver who has bought or has been given command of a FULLY certificated FINISHED vehicle.
I would say you are a 'delivery boy' who uses a lorry to do the deliveries. Your job is simply moving something from one place to another. A postman does this. Your truck is your tool.

A professional driver, myself included, is a person who is employed to develop the fueling or handling systems on a Prototype 1, PP1 or PP2 ( pre-production ) vehicle and calibrate it to be certificated by government authorities.
His job is to assess the Emissions, Drivability and Performance of said vehicle before Delivery boys can drive them safely. The cars I drove were my workpieces. Digital fuelling microcomputers were my tools.

Top Bottom