Being yelled at and perceptions of cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, I was pedalling off to collect something at lunchtime; and when almost there I think someone leaned out of a panel van and yelled something at me (or, at least, I think at me).

Now, I'm a fairly small woman, but in cycling gear I am in high-viz top, with helmet on; and I have short hair so you can't see any (especially in winter with the cold, usually wearing a skullcap or beanie and - although not today - a buff).

I'm wondering if I'd get the same level of general 'yelling' directed at me (there have been several incidents lately; and I don't ride through the dodgiest parts of town either) if I was either clearly a woman (even in high-viz) - think long hair from behind helmet; or alternately if I was riding a proper 'ladies' bike (Dutch style, pref with the basket on the front?). I ride a Brompton; is the fact that it looks odd perhaps contributing? (comments yelled at me in passing are hard to distinguish but are generally not 'nice bike' - although I have had that at least once in the distant past....).

Of course, once it's noted that you're a woman, you might still get yelled at but in a different context?

Anyone else got some experiences to share?

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Well, I was pedalling off to collect something at lunchtime; and when almost there I think someone leaned out of a panel van and yelled something at me (or, at least, I think at me).

Now, I'm a fairly small woman, but in cycling gear I am in high-viz top, with helmet on; and I have short hair so you can't see any (especially in winter with the cold, usually wearing a skullcap or beanie and - although not today - a buff).

I'm wondering if I'd get the same level of general 'yelling' directed at me (there have been several incidents lately; and I don't ride through the dodgiest parts of town either) if I was either clearly a woman (even in high-viz) - think long hair from behind helmet; or alternately if I was riding a proper 'ladies' bike (Dutch style, pref with the basket on the front?). I ride a Brompton; is the fact that it looks odd perhaps contributing? (comments yelled at me in passing are hard to distinguish but are generally not 'nice bike' - although I have had that at least once in the distant past....).

Of course, once it's noted that you're a woman, you might still get yelled at but in a different context?

Anyone else got some experiences to share?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
long blonde hair, tight lycra leggings, fake tan, pretty white ankle socks, pink bike and you may get shouted at in a totally different way. me, as a fat bold old bloke on a tiny wheeled bike with a silly big bag on the front...i get taunts all the time. part of cycling i think.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
long blonde hair, tight lycra leggings, fake tan, pretty white ankle socks, pink bike and you may get shouted at in a totally different way. me, as a fat bold old bloke on a tiny wheeled bike with a silly big bag on the front...i get taunts all the time. part of cycling i think.

on the road

Über Member
It wouldn't make any difference, some people just see someone on a bike and shout to try to make them fall off. It happens to me.

on the road

Über Member
It wouldn't make any difference, some people just see someone on a bike and shout to try to make them fall off. It happens to me.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've seen stuff yelled at women. I think what you get yelled at depends on location/who shouts and so on. Quite a bit of what gets shouted at me I don't even hear what exactly it was as although we have better hearing than motorists it still gets drowned out and muffled by other cars or turning a corner or whatever.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've seen stuff yelled at women. I think what you get yelled at depends on location/who shouts and so on. Quite a bit of what gets shouted at me I don't even hear what exactly it was as although we have better hearing than motorists it still gets drowned out and muffled by other cars or turning a corner or whatever.

Hi Savage

Well its nothing new, I've certainly had it happen to me several times. Sometimes its the chav idiot leaning out of a car window yelling at you as they come from behind you, even on the odd occasion firing a water pistol or throwing eggs.
Other times its seemingly normal looking people who pass you while travelling the opposite direction, who for some reason scream an obscenity and make the w**ker sign.
God knows what is going through there tiny little minds!

Hi Savage

Well its nothing new, I've certainly had it happen to me several times. Sometimes its the chav idiot leaning out of a car window yelling at you as they come from behind you, even on the odd occasion firing a water pistol or throwing eggs.
Other times its seemingly normal looking people who pass you while travelling the opposite direction, who for some reason scream an obscenity and make the w**ker sign.
God knows what is going through there tiny little minds!

Top Bottom