Bell recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
They may be big and loud, but I prefer the Electra Bells, inexpensive and durable,as @User states- a proper Dutch bike bell. Range of colors and styles.
42ab7af3e79205f7b85a3697d3c2da91.jpg

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
I was nearly tempted by one of these this week. A lovely sound but expensive for a bell.

I believe you can get copies of those also at a reasonable cost. Can't remeber where I saw it though.

edit: £15 isn't bad for a designed bell. so probably not worth looking for a copy

Last edited by a moderator:

simongt

Guru
One question about the ' effectiveness ' of a bell is do folk react more quickly to a modern style ' ping ping ' bell or the traditional ' triinngg triinngg ' type - ?
Apparently a few years ago an Oriental psychology student attached a 'traditional' cycle bell to a supermarket trolley and went around said supermarket periodically ringing the bell - and apparently folk automatically moved to one side without even looking behind them - ! :rofl: Conditioned reaction - ? :whistle:
My own experience is that folk react more quickly to the ' triinngg triinngg ' type.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
One question about the ' effectiveness ' of a bell is do folk react more quickly to a modern style ' ping ping ' bell or the traditional ' triinngg triinngg ' type - ?
Apparently a few years ago an Oriental psychology student attached a 'traditional' cycle bell to a supermarket trolley and went around said supermarket periodically ringing the bell - and apparently folk automatically moved to one side without even looking behind them - ! :rofl: Conditioned reaction - ? :whistle:
My own experience is that folk react more quickly to the ' triinngg triinngg ' type.

Couldn't tell you as I have never used a 'tring tring' type bell but from my own experience a bell seems to antagonise as many people as not using one. Some people seem happy and others just glare at you, some people purposely obstruct you others say hello move to one side and smile. I have no issue and will slow right down on approch but people still seem to take offence to someone ringing a bell.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
you beat me to it .... Crane Brass bell .... best sounding bell in the world and handmade in Japan .... they are class ...

there are a few models though so do your research (the brass ones sound the best)... when you ring it, people 'jump' :tongue:

here's mine on my Surly:
PORZG2EQK2FBEZ020sfE_mkIV6FByjqWpKjf9zlZZRQ-2048x1536.jpg
Not completely on topic but your steering tube mounting raises a question about where to mount it. My own solution on a bike with a similar layout was to place it on the inside of the handlebars, alongside the levers with the dinger pointing up. I figured that if I need to use a bell there's a likelihood I'll need to use the brakes so I mounted the bell where I can both ring and brake with my hands in the same position. And I'm nearly always riding on the hoods so I like to be able to drop my thumb down to the bell and brake at the same time. (It shares the same advantage as your position in that it leaves the tops free for hands or habitual cockpit technology.)
IMG_2594.JPG

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Thanks at that price I couldn't resist. Should be here for spring ;)
If it's here before the genuine article I ordered from Tredz this week, I shall be very annoyed!

dim

Not completely on topic but your steering tube mounting raises a question about where to mount it. My own solution on a bike with a similar layout was to place it on the inside of the handlebars, alongside the levers with the dinger pointing up. I figured that if I need to use a bell there's a likelihood I'll need to use the brakes so I mounted the bell where I can both ring and brake with my hands in the same position. And I'm nearly always riding on the hoods so I like to be able to drop my thumb down to the bell and brake at the same time. (It shares the same advantage as your position in that it leaves the tops free for hands or habitual cockpit technology.)
View attachment 156414

nah .... my crane bell serves 2 purposes ..... one, is to warn pedestrians/cyclists that I'm approaching, and secondly, it looks good ...

on the handlebar stem, I have quick and easy access (takes a day or two to get used to that position, but once you get the hang of it, you don't even have to think where it is.... it comes naturally)

google for crane brass bell, and look at the pics ..... most guys have them on the stem as I have it

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cheap ting bells do the job on my bikes.

However, the bell on one is mounted in a plastic cup which means it doesn't work in the rain.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
nah .... my crane bell serves 2 purposes ..... one, is to warn pedestrians/cyclists that I'm approaching, and secondly, it looks good ...

on the handlebar stem, I have quick and easy access (takes a day or two to get used to that position, but once you get the hang of it, you don't even have to think where it is.... it comes naturally)

google for crane brass bell, and look at the pics ..... most guys have them on the stem as I have it
You're free to choose. My solution has logic to it. And doesn't mix silver with gold.....:okay::whistle:

Top Bottom