Benefit cheat....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Powered and two wheels, I see a small common factor. Only the very ignorant would miss that fact.

A push bike is not much use without power from the user.

Put another way, an ebike has many things in common with a push bike, but few in common with a moped.

Legally, an ebike is a push bike and can be used in the same way, largely without restriction.

A moped requires registration, tax, insurance, a helmet and cannot be used on shared pathways, mountain bike trails and the like.

But saying they both have two wheels is a good spot, well done.

screenman

Legendary Member
I hope the day never comes when I consider using an ebike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I hope the day never comes when I consider using an ebike.

I wouldn't wish anything on someone they didn't want, so I hope so, too.

But it is possible to use and enjoy each of the three forms of transport, either singularly or in any combination.

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
As I said in the OP. it made me laugh (out loud), the need for a young, fit lad to ride one in Cambs. It may of course be his only bike.

I've nowt against them in the right place. A 64 year old bloke in work had a hip replacement last year, he has just had one as a present from his family. I once read about a retired lady in her 60's bought one, now her and her old man go out for the day, before that she couldn't and wouldn't ride with him.

The way I feel this morning I might be tempted.......

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ebikes do have an image problem in this country, not least because some of the earlier ones were sold in mobility shops alongside the scooters and other devices for the disabled.

They are part of the cycling mainstream in Holland and Germany, although not so much in France.

I look at my Rose ebike as what it is, a quality trekking bike with a motor.

The Bosch system on my bike, also used by many other manufacturers, gives a reasonable rendition of 'proper' cycling.

Apart from anything else, there's no throttle so if you don't pedal, you don't go.

Going back to mountain bikes, Haibike make some tasty Bosch assisted ones:

http://www.haibike.de/produkte_liste_epower_en,3004.html

Tasty prices, too, anything up to £4K.

Sara_H

Guru
I've recently bought an ebike, it's rocked my world TBH.

It took quite alot of persuaion by OH to get an ebike (theres a whole other thread about why, ill health, unable to ride old bike etc).

The clincher was when OH said (and this turned out to be quite true), although it will be easier, you'll ride more often so you will still reap massive health benefits. He was very right. Since I got my ebike I've ridden further than I usually would because it's quicker and easier.

I live in Sheffield, which is very hilly. This can make even short journeys a bit of a chore. The ebike takes the sting out, so I'm using the bike alot more than usual for short errands. I can carry more shopping because the battery takes the sting out of carrying more stuff.

I'm still on sick leave at the moment, but I did have to pop into my workplace last week, so went by bike. I was amazed that my ride time home has reduced from 40 minutes on my old bike to 23 minutes on my ebike! Thats 17 whole minutes faster! And I didn't arrive home purple in the face and drenched in sweat!

Other advantage - I have a 10 yr old son who's as fit as a flea. I can't keep up with him when we're on hills usually. On my ebike I can, so he doesn't have to hang arround waiting for me at the top!

Someone mentioned - just buy a moped. Well, that was something I'd considered, but part of the problem for me with that idea was that to a certain extent you're still stuck in traffic. When I return to work I'm reliant on cycling as I drop my son at school, then ride in to work. In traffic, I can't possibly do it in time, on the bike I'm using alot of off road routes and contraflows that I wouldn't be allowed to use a moped on - this is partly what swung me towards the ebike over a moped. Other thing - moped insurance is very expensive round these parts. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to ride with son using a moped either.

The only downside I've found is the limitation in the milage. I think I get about 30 miles per charge (due to the hills, others have reported much longer distances). I came home with a very low battery one day last week and it was quite hard work, though I did get home before it went kaput. Due to battery/motor the bike is heavy, so I really wouldn't want to try to ride it without power!

Also, I haven't tried taking it on the train yet. My bike has the battery behind the seatpost, so it makes it that bit longer. And again, because of the weight I'd struggle to get it ino one of those racks where you hang it up by the front wheel.

So, like alot of others, until I needed one, I had a bad attitude towards ebikes. But at the moment, for me, it means that I can go about my buisness on two wheels. Initial plan was to use the ebike until I return to full health, then sell it on. But TBH, I can see me using it at least for commuting, forever. Getting home 17 whole minutes earlier is not to be sniffed at is it?

screenman

Legendary Member
Some good points made on the use of ebikes, I suppose my views are skewed by the fact I am more a sporting cyclist rather than ever using the bike for commuting or shopping.

Sara_H

Guru
Some good points made on the use of ebikes, I suppose my views are skewed by the fact I am more a sporting cyclist rather than ever using the bike for commuting or shopping.
WEll, I've been called a cheat twice now while out on my ebike....... firts time I've been called a benefit cheat though! :laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A middle aged woman on a hybrid told me I had 'one of those cheaty bikes'.

It was as we waited at a junction, in the few seconds before the lights changed she managed to pack in a mini-lecture about how all ebikes are rubbish.

The woman was patronising and full of garbage - must have been a teacher.

Cheating was also mentioned by a couple on a tandem who I met at a coffee stop.

I formed the impression they had been called cheats a handful of times while out tandeming.

Gary E

Veteran
Must admit that I'm intrigued by e-bikes and I think there's a place for them for all sorts of reasons mentioned above.
My biggest problem with them is that having spent hundreds of hours toiling away in the saddle, getting to the point where I can ride long distances and up steep hills, some smart alec now comes along and tells me that I needn't have bothered as there's an easier way :laugh:
I think a lot of people object to them because they can't keep up and it offends their ego :blush:
To be honest, the more bikes on the road (of any type) is a good thing surely? It means fewer people in cars and also more cyclists means that our collective voice/opinions will be harder to ignore (think decent cycle routes and safer cycle-friendly road lay-outs)

Sara_H

Guru
Must admit that I'm intrigued by e-bikes and I think there's a place for them for all sorts of reasons mentioned above.
My biggest problem with them is that having spent hundreds of hours toiling away in the saddle, getting to the point where I can ride long distances and up steep hills, some smart alec now comes along and tells me that I needn't have bothered as there's an easier way :laugh:
I think a lot of people object to them because they can't keep up and it offends their ego :blush:
To be honest, the more bikes on the road (of any type) is a good thing surely? It means fewer people in cars and also more cyclists means that our collective voice/opinions will be harder to ignore (think decent cycle routes and safer cycle-friendly road lay-outs)
Precisely. My options are severely restricted at the moment as I just can't physically ride my normal bike home due to my health problems.
Without the ebike, I'd be in a car, so to me, it's a no brainer.

Ebikes, I suppose they are ok if you need motorised transport but cant afford insurance, petrol etc. Or if you just like em.

Well I ran the idea past a few friends (e-bike for commute) and they agreed it made sense, why bother knackering myself every day on a hard commute and not being able to ride the weekend.

I'm still holding out for a place within cyclable distance of work, but having read a few things about them here and elsewhere I'm open to buying N(e)+1 if I find a nice place just outside my comfort zone for a cyclable commute, and then keeping my non e-bike for the weekend leisure rides.

Sara_H

Guru
Well I ran the idea past a few friends (e-bike for commute) and they agreed it made sense, why bother knackering myself every day on a hard commute and not being able to ride the weekend.

I'm still holding out for a place within cyclable distance of work, but having read a few things about them here and elsewhere I'm open to buying N(e)+1 if I find a nice place just outside my comfort zone for a cyclable commute, and then keeping my non e-bike for the weekend leisure rides.
Good plan. I still have my other bike and plan to use it when I get back to full health, but I think shopping etc will still be done by ebike.

Top Bottom