Benefit cheat....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
I used to take my charger into work plugin it in there and charge it up.
I sld battery weighed a ton and only did 11 miles to charge. Rose buy a spare and charge at work if they allow it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I used to take my charger into work plugin it in there and charge it up.
I sld battery weighed a ton and only did 11 miles to charge. Rose buy a spare and charge at work if they allow it.

The advent in the last few years of lithium batteries, as opposed to the old sealed lead acid, has improved the range of ebikes a lot.

Lots of variables, but my Rose/Bosch bike will do about 50 miles on a charge if I'm not too greedy with the assistance button.

To generalise, most modern ebikes can manage 30 miles, so a commuter may only need to charge at home.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I hope the day never comes when I consider using an ebike.
I don't see a problem with them - if you need the power to enable you to get up the hill or to convince you to get out of a car - fine by me. Even if you just want to have one as long as you use it sensibly (they should be limited to under 15 mph for the powered assist anyway). On bad days when I'm struggling they look very tempting to me, but I like the satisfaction of doing it under my own steam at the moment. When I was under the weather recently any joy on the bike disappeared completely and it became a thing of torture.

I don't see a problem with them - if you need the power to enable you to get up the hill or to convince you to get out of a car - fine by me. Even if you just want to have one as long as you use it sensibly (they should be limited to under 15 mph for the powered assist anyway). On bad days when I'm struggling they look very tempting to me, but I like the satisfaction of doing it under my own steam at the moment. When I was under the weather recently any joy on the bike disappeared completely and it became a thing of torture.

Ah so you do have a small problem - only those incapable of climbing hills or are too lazy to ride otherwise should have them:tongue:

Sorry *holds hands up* I'm not trying to be smart/clever or provoke an argument with you there :blush:Its just as a fit/healthy 30 something male I'd probably be judged harshly or even ridiculed perhaps for rocking up on an e-bike but my reasons would not be laziness or physical need, I'm just trying to make my commute easier and still have the legs of a weekend to do longer rides^_^

We cant all be fast as fook SCR/Strava addicts on the way/to from work!:angel:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ah so you do have a small problem - only those incapable of climbing hills or are too lazy to ride otherwise should have them:tongue:

Sorry *holds hands up* I'm not trying to be smart/clever or provoke an argument with you there :blush:Its just as a fit/healthy 30 something male I'd probably be judged harshly or even ridiculed perhaps for rocking up on an e-bike but my reasons would not be laziness or physical need, I'm just trying to make my commute easier and still have the legs of a weekend to do longer rides^_^

We cant all be fast as fook SCR/Strava addicts on the way/to from work!:angel:
I now see on average 2 or 3 per commute (up to 5 normally) and different ones at different times. There is the lady on the red Freego?, a man on one with a huge battery (full length of the top tube and stretching down to the down tube!), one is a giant one, there is another silver one, then there is the one that I think he isn't using his battery on the hill as I can almost catch him up (and I'm very very slow up hills), and another one that is blue. The age of people riding them I would say is from 30-55 at a guess, though the youngest one is the one that doesn't look as though he is getting much assist from it.

The one thing I would say about them is that none of them return my smile but I guess they don't normally see it if they are overtaking me:whistle:. There is also an elderly gentleman that I see who uses it to get around, doing his shopping, visiting friends - I suspect he gets more fresh air and exercise as a result. My friend who is his neighbour tells me he used a normal bike before that for getting around.

So I think they have their place for various reasons.

(I looked at a Strava segment on my route that someone linked to on here and I think I was 3 times slower than them along it in my estimation! Oh to be that fast!:laugh:).

Sheepy1209

Veteran
I've just got one of these, a Giant with a front hub motor; torque-sensing so it only provides assistance when you demand it by pushing the pedals harder.
It's surprised me in several ways. First - nobody has attempted to ridicule me, especially when they've seen it; everybody's been genuinely impressed. I've been cycling to work for three years now but resorted to a motorbike whenever it was windy or I was tired; I'm 49, so not young, but still in good health.

Another thing I've found is that I actually get more consistent exercise; on the flat with little wind I'm riding around 17mph with the motor freewheeling; i.e. it's me doing the riding. I'm pressing on more than I would on my other bike; and a colleague suggested it might be because I know I've got a reserve of power in case I overdo it. Arriving in work this morning after a 10-mile commute the battery indicator is still reading full! (It wasn't when I had a headwind).

As I mentioned I ride a motorbike as well; an ebike (or pedelec) is a completely different experience. A motorbike (or moped) still has to use the roads, and filtering can only bring so much advantage. Riding my assisted bike I get all the pleasure of cycling, in comfort, and a pretty decent amount of daily exercise. It's just a shame about the prices (£1000 is entry level), and perception (bikes being sold alongside disability scooters).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No perception problems in Holland:

http://www.bike-eu.com/Sales-Trends...9|E-Bikes_Continue_their_Rise_on_Dutch_Market

The buoyant sales are slightly surprising given that it's supposed to be flat.

Top Bottom