Benefit cheat....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
On the way to work just now I was coming down Madingley hill on the cycle path, maybe doing 17mph ( I wasn't really paying attention) when whoosh!!!! A mountain bike being ridden by a lad in his 30's came by doing at least double my speed. There was a strange box on the bike, and he was hardly pedaling.
It made me smile and chuckle all the way to work about the hows and whys of using an electric powered mountain bike in Cambridgeshire:eek:

outlash

also available in orange
I guess he has to get back up Madingley Hill... Although a lad in his 30's?

Tony.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
E-biking is still a minority cycling activity in this country, but some manufacturers think mountain bikes could be a growth area.

Mountain bikers are more open-minded and not so hidebound by cycling tradition as roadies - look at the thread title.

The assistance makes getting to the trail easier, and it's much more fun on the trail itself, particularly the up hill sections.

E-biking is still a minority cycling activity in this country, but some manufacturers think mountain bikes could be a growth area.

Mountain bikers are more open-minded and not so hidebound by cycling tradition as roadies - look at the thread title.

The assistance makes getting to the trail easier, and it's much more fun on the trail itself, particularly the up hill sections.

The thoughts crossed my mind - eBike I mean. I want to move house nearer to work but every house I've found (that I like lol) is at the top of a bloody big hill!

Its not that I dont do hills, I do, but every day in all weather? ATM a flat commute means I do it whenever I can but I can see a time if I did get up, and its cold and wet and miserable that the bike stays in the shed which beats the point of moving closer to work!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The thoughts crossed my mind - eBike I mean. I want to move house nearer to work but every house I've found (that I like lol) is at the top of a bloody big hill!

Its not that I dont do hills, I do, but every day in all weather? ATM a flat commute means I do it whenever I can but I can see a time if I did get up, and its cold and wet and miserable that the bike stays in the shed which beats the point of moving closer to work!

There is a lot to be said for commuting by e-bike.

Weight is not such a concern, which means you can carry clothes, lunch, laptop etc in the panniers and still arrive without needing defibrilation.

An e-bike will also give you a more reliable and predictable journey time.

Another good point is you can commute on a comfy hybrid-style bike with wide tyres which are unlikely to puncture.

Its certainly food for thought, until this thread I hadn't thought of an e-bike at all but perhaps I'm approaching moving the wrong way - instead of trying to move somewhere that fits my bike, move somewhere that fits me and then change my bike to suit?

After all, I can keep the non e-bike for leisure rides :bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wouldn't mind that - it would mean an easy ride in to work, and a good workout on the way home. I believe that is what it is like for Cubist?

I used to do the odd cycle commute from Burnley and what bugged me was a stiff climb less than 5 minutes after setting off for home before I had warmed up properly. I wouldn't have minded it 45 minutes later when I was nearly home.

Recycle

Über Member
If it was the motor rather than gravity that was pushing the cyclist above the OP's speed then the bike is illegal. With e-bikes the motor may only legally assist up to 15 mph. Beyond that, it's up to your legs or gravity.

Crankarm

Guru
Could have been on PEDs as well as benefits which is highly likely which is why he was way faster than you. Probably late for work at Godolphin.

Sterba

Über Member
Sailing went through this topic a a very long time ago. Use power if you need to get somewhere. Why stop at an e-bike? Might as well get a motor bike. Sailors enjoy battling with the elements to get any forward motion. Sometimes they get the wind in the right quarter and fly through the water. Other times they have to tack back anf forth to get any headway at all. A bit like going up and down hills for us. Achievement equals enjoyment.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sailing went through this topic a a very long time ago. Use power if you need to get somewhere. Why stop at an e-bike? Might as well get a motor bike. Sailors enjoy battling with the elements to get any forward motion. Sometimes they get the wind in the right quarter and fly through the water. Other times they have to tack back anf forth to get any headway at all. A bit like going up and down hills for us. Achievement equals enjoyment.

All that 'no pain, no gain' cod psychology stuff may work for some, but it's irrelevant if you just need to get to work on time.

And leisure ebiking is good fun - don't knock it until you've tried it.

Top Bottom