Bent pedal stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jido

IMG_20171218_181106(1).jpg Hello,
I had an accident ramming into a car (the car won) and although I came out badly bruised myself, the cycle is fine.

OK I am lying.

There was a stone that found its way in the seat, which is slightly uncomfortable. And then there is the bent pedal, which is more of an issue for me.

Check the attached picture (no it is not the effect of perspective).

Now I have a dilemma. I don't have a sledgehammer lying around at home, and I am not even sure unbending it with a sledgehammer will do much good to the rest of the cycle.

So is there a better unbending tool I could use?
Thanks.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would look for a new pair, straightening that would weaken it, it is seldom fun when a pedal snaps.

Bent spindles wobble the pedal as it rotates, wobbling your knee joint. Never a good idea. I would also suspect the cranks after a whack like that. They snap along weakened areas generally when they can do you most damage.

OP
OP
J

jido

Huh... The chainsets I can find online are on the expensive side. Oh well, at least there is not a lot of parts to replace.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What is the "thread" in the crank arm? As far as I can tell the crank arm itself is bent.

It is not the spindle, but just as bad for my leg.
The steel pedal screws into the aluminium arm, an impact can rip the threads out of 2/3rds of the aluminium arm and leaves it still attached but very weak.

OP
OP
J

jido

I see. The cure is same, right? I need to replace the chainset.

The one I have currently is a Tempo FSA

Crankarm

Guru
My ears are burning. As has already been suggested check the crankarm for stress fractures and also whether it too is bent although it is probably cast and won't bend but just snap if it is a cast aluminium crank. Yes new pedals as well. Maybe new chain as well if the chain rings of the crank were quite worn meaning the chain may have needed replacing as well. It's not good putting an old worn chain on a new chainset. Also check out the sprockets of the cassette as well. If they are excessively worn replace the rear cassette as well.

Top Bottom