BentMikey and a Subaru Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Not having the time to go through all 30 pages, although I do remember the incident, did the driver get a bollocking from the old bill after the first incident?

Might explain why he appeared to be ultra-cautious around you this time!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think he got a warning from the police. I wonder whether that had more effect than the publicity on his custom numberplate though? I suspect that someone who's paid a lot of dosh for a custom plate will feel the pain and devaluation of youtube exposure slightly more than someone with a standard issue one.

thomas

the tank engine
I think he got a warning from the police. I wonder whether that had more effect than the publicity on his custom numberplate though? I suspect that someone who's paid a lot of dosh for a custom plate will feel the pain and devaluation of youtube exposure slightly more than someone with a standard issue one.

Probably just wasn't on his time of the month this week :tongue:

Good to see people do learn though. I'm sure he realised it was you...I guess there aren't that many people on them funny bikes around his/your area.

GrasB

Veteran
[QUOTE 728056"]
The way he hung right back and then shot off, it's as if he was trying to keep his distance. He must be terrifed of you!
[/quote]
That's one advantage of having a high performance car, you can hang way back to take the pressure off but you have confidence that when the opportunity open up you can tap into that performance to quickly close the gap & pass. An offshoot is you spend less time on the wrong side of the road & so can give a wider pass to cyclist.

400bhp

Guru
That's one advantage of having a high performance car, you can hang way back to take the pressure off but you have confidence that when the opportunity open up you can tap into that performance to quickly close the gap & pass. An offshoot is you spend less time on the wrong side of the road & so can give a wider pass to cyclist.

Spot on :thumbsup:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Funnily enough I saw him a third time the other Saturday, although he was coming the other way through Darwin's Corners. Gave me what I thought was a friendly toot toot. I think he likes the second video. :biggrin:

400bhp

Guru
Motor cars and cycles are my passions.

To me they go hand in hand - there's so many commonalities between them, both in terms of machinery and ride/drive experience.

Perhaps he has realised that - after all what you ride is a rather unusual piece of machinery.:whistle:

GrasB

Veteran
hmmm, not too sure about this, the way you describe it makes it all sound rather idyllic, unfortunately there are many with these types of cars that will have that Jeremy Clarkson moment.

I wonder how safe these high performance cars actually are, insurance companies do seem to increase premiums with bhp.
There's a difference between how the driver (ab)uses the performance they have access to & what that performance can offer in road safety. I own 2 cars that can do 40-100mph faster than a lot of cars can do 0-60, one can do 30-80mph in 5th faster than most cars can do the same through the gears, this allows for quick overtaking with a larger margin of safety if used properly. They can also do 100-0mph in substantially less distance than the average car on the street. With that comes the fact that they demand more respect from the driver because they'll get you in trouble just as quickly as they will get you out of trouble.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think GrasB is right, but the problem is that human nature allows very few people the willpower to use that performance properly and safely, and thus far too many people get themselves into trouble with that power. I'm guessing reiver is also right on insurance premiums.

400bhp

Guru
I'm guessing reiver is also right on insurance premiums.

In a non direct way yes.

One of the principal risks is "the speed the car is driven".

This will be partially down to car performance, although there is clearly a large overlap beween driver.

The above risk is higher say, for example with an inexperienced male driver (EU recent court ruling aside).

I think Gras has intimated elsewhere that he drives cars on track like I do. There's usually 2 distinct types of drivers on these type of days, i) those that wish to learn and ii) those that don't as they think they know everyhing. Those in camp ii) are thankfully a smaller minority but a high proportion of them drive SubaruEvo's, are male with short hair and usually turn up in a group. You spot them a mile off and keep away from them on track.

GrasB

Veteran
In a non direct way yes.

One of the principal risks is "the speed the car is driven".

This will be partially down to car performance, although there is clearly a large overlap beween driver.

The above risk is higher say, for example with an inexperienced male driver (EU recent court ruling aside).
I also think for the less educated driver that the think these cars are more-or-less invincible, they're not they just give you more rope to hang your self by.

I think Gras has intimated elsewhere that he drives cars on track like I do. There's usually 2 distinct types of drivers on these type of days, i) those that wish to learn and ii) those that don't as they think they know everyhing. Those in camp ii) are thankfully a smaller minority but a high proportion of them drive SubaruEvo's, are male with short hair and usually turn up in a group. You spot them a mile off and keep away from them on track.
I done a fair amount of track driving & I have a track tweaked Exige. Previous to this have done a fair bit of entry level motorsport in my time (hill climbs, sprints, auto testing).

While type i drivers tend to be very aware of the difference between road & track driving. In addition to the type ii 'hooligans on the track' being very noticeable on a track day they're also the ones who seem to have very little regard for differences between road & track driving. Problem is that those drivers who have no regard for the differences are the ones who get all performance car drivers a bad name. My experience is that most drivers of high end cars tend to have good intentions on the road. That's not to say they get it right but they don't have aggressive intentions they just get it wrong - thinking about a drop-top DB9 driver who jinked the car to the right after I exclaimed "oh, jesus" as I realised how close he was going to pass, then a hand up after he pulled in.

Top Bottom