BentMikey and a Subaru Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmmm can't really compare in miles it would take forever.

What are the risks per mile say

Car
Plane
Motorbike
Ped
Cyclist?

I remember when I came back from Bangkok the first time how long it took me to adjust back to the agressive sort driving after I had got used to the more laid back and tolerant driving here.Feel a bit safer here but there are millions of motorbikes to look out for.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Don't know about planes but I think it's car - bike - motorbike - ped. Ped being statistically more likely to be injured!

Jonny

Über Member
threebikesmcginty said:
Don't know about planes but I think it's car - bike - motorbike - ped. Ped being statistically more likely to be injured!

I work in the rail industry. A recent safety report showed the following fatality risk per passenger km compared with rail (i.e. rail=1) in Great Britain:

Rail 1
Bus/Coach 3
Car 26
Cycle 328
Pedestrian 370
Motorcycle 1110

This gives a good idea of the relative risk

Source: http://www.rssb.co.uk/pdf/reports/strategic safety plan 09-14.pdf

You quote data based on mileage death rate (MDR) If time spent in transit was used as the base, then the bias towards those modes which are used for longer distances/high speeds (rail, motorised road users) would be different. I'm no statistician, but there are other methods of calculating death rates, which give very different conclusions. This link gives an idea of the complexity of the issue: http://www.piercelaw.edu/risk/vol4/winter/halperin.htm

f1_fan

Crankarm said:
I can't be bothered to trawl through 40 pages to find it. I posted at the start of thread then dropped out as it got boring and tedious. I somehow seem to have now been sucked in.

Maybe you are boring and tedious too then :biggrin:

f1_fan

coruskate said:
If he'd said "I feel it is too dangerous" or "I do not feel safe" or even just "I don't like it" - which is probably what he meant to say all along, then that would be his personal opinion to which he's entitled, and unchallengeable.

Yes exactly and sorry if that wasn't clear.

Oh and please don't think I am saying any of you shouldn't cycle. It is just my opinion of what is right for me. More power to you all if you can just get on with it.

Crankarm

Guru
There you go I've done your work for you:

f1_fan said:
Oh believe you me I understand it. From 1983 to 1990 I cycled everywhere around Manchester. Then one day I was cycling up Oxford Road when a black cab pulled out on me and I clattered into the side of his cab and went 'a over t'. I was lucky as I had a lot of cuts and bruisesand a sprained ankle, but nothing broken.

To be fair the cab driver was great, he made a mistake and we have all done that, but I couldn't help but realise then and there that had I been in a car he may have seen me and if not I would have a damaged wing and he a damaged door, but no injuries. That day I gave up cycling forever. It is the same reaosn that despite me being a complete petrolhead I have never learnt to ride a motorbike, for me you are just too vulnerable on two wheels.

I admire you guys for getting on with it and dealing with all the crap that comes your way, but I still do not 100% condone Mikey's methods of dealing with the incidents he witnesses as I can't help but feel there is an element of looking for troible about what he does. If I am wrong then so be it, but in the video posted a couple of pages ago with the lorry I really do think he was being a little over zealous about the space he was given, it really did not look that bad to me. Still maybe I have forgotten after all these years what it is like to be on a bike, who knows?

Your collision is much pretty along the lines I've been writing. 'Am I right or am I right?

f1_fan said:
Maybe you are boring and tedious too then :blush:

You're sarcasm is as good as your bike riding skills :tongue:.

Wasn't sure whether this is a separate topic or part of this one.....

There are lots of videos om YouTube where the drivers themselves post their own bad driving and stupidity, often trying to justify it in the process.

Typical video

This must give BM the moral high ground...... at least there is a benefit to his efforts.

GrasB

Veteran
Yet another "Where can you drive a fast car quickly? B-roads is answer" comment. I have to say both of my cars regularly see the far side of 140mph legally in the relatively safe & controlled confines of a RACE TRACK. Sure it's not as cheap as blasting down your nearest B-road but if it all goes wrong, you're far more likely to walk away than ploughing into a tree.

Top Bottom